knee/thigh pads... 2020 Edition.

wvuviv30

6 hours ago, ser33 said:

Warrior

Got to be honest, the Warrior ones I've tried won't stay up for anything!   They're probably my least favorite option.   Brian's makes some nice 2 piece low profile ones that I've used for years now.  I like them so much I've redone the elastic and added some padding as they started to break down.  They're my oldest piece of gear by far, but something similar is still available.

Warrior definitely needs something to hold'em up. I use Warrior pants with integrated tabs and that setup is excellent. Before those I had CCM Premiers where I added tabs myself and that worked as well.

The Warrior knee pads are very good and protective for slapshotting beer league. Not perfect against harder shots but still very good.

36 minutes ago, Quickdraw1977 said:

Second the Bauer 1X, tried to go back to warrior when I got my GT2 pads, couldn't do it, liked the 1X too much

This. But now mine are starting to break down because I use them exclusively, and it is hard to find replacements. Might have to go with Passau for my next pair.

if the knee pads dont stay up modify it so it will,   knee pads are not automatically supposed to stay up for everyone or any piece of equipment, u have to modify it.

no that difficult to make ur own garter and modify so it stays up.

I'm still using my Vaughn V7's. They look bulky and just from holding them you'd think they are going to be bulky. But once they are on, they fit tightly (or loosely if that's your thing). You can get them with or without the garter belt. If you get it without, the tabs are there to add something later.

I've never used them, but the SLR versions seem smaller. So that's always an option if that's what your going for.

9 hours ago, Teezle said:

This. But now mine are starting to break down because I use them exclusively, and it is hard to find replacements. Might have to go with Passau for my next pair.

YMMV but I wasn't a fan of the Passau. 
I wore them once several years ago with my Eflex 1.

I found them very bulky/front loaded to the point where it seemed like they were pushing the knees/thighs on my leg pads too far forward

12 hours ago, Puckstopper said:

I'll give it a try next time I've got some practice ice.  I've got 2 brand new sets of warriors, so I'd like to find a way to make them work.

Have you tried a garter belt? I forgot his name but saw some warrior knee pads modified slightly to worn with a garter belt. Cut a slit in the tabs on the knee pads and then use the clips that come on warrior pads, the type that hold the buckle where the knee wing is. 

I haven’t tried this myself but was thinking of doing it since my warrior guards are just laying around. 

OP look into paw, Sara makes great gear very protective and mobile. I’ve had mine since 2007/8 and they are still going strong with the exception of the elastic being stretched out. Now I just use socks and tape to hold them up. 

13 hours ago, Puckstopper said:

I'll give it a try next time I've got some practice ice.  I've got 2 brand new sets of warriors, so I'd like to find a way to make them work.

I do this over my shock doctor catchers shorts/cup, then compression pants, then goalie cup.  Stays in place and never slips.  No wasting tape.  Uses a regular adult Bauer garter and some lace.

IMG-20190618-WA0000.jpg

IMG-20190618-WA0001.jpg

IMG-20190618-WA0002.jpg

image.png.e17a45c75b8e5ba92929f8ceea3817c1.png

I know these are harder to find in senior size but the CCM belts can be made to work the same you just need to put the clips separately. I have seen warrior knee pads with a slit cut in the middle of the tabs and then these style clips slid in the tabs and used that way.

Archived