Daily Chit-chat

seagoal

@coopaloop1234 saw your earlier request for photos but since my gear lives at the rink - I wasn't able to oblige.

Anyways - that looks about right on your wrist to me. I'm wearing a Bauer Reactor-esque chest with G2 gloves so I'm in a similar setup to you. I do keep the wrist on my CA relatively loose (meaning I fasten it just enough to keep my UA from turtling back into the arm) and its quite broken in. I also do not cinch in any of the straps on either glove. These aren't responses to the gloves/CA interacting but just how I do things up. Hope that helps.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, chile57 said:

@coopaloop1234 saw your earlier request for photos but since my gear lives at the rink - I wasn't able to oblige.

Anyways - that looks about right on your wrist to me. I'm wearing a Bauer Reactor-esque chest with G2 gloves so I'm in a similar setup to you. I do keep the wrist on my CA relatively loose (meaning I fasten it just enough to keep my UA from turtling back into the arm) and its quite broken in. I also do not cinch in any of the straps on either glove. These aren't responses to the gloves/CA interacting but just how I do things up. Hope that helps.

Thanks. @seagoaland I talked about it and in comparison to his, my wrist strap interacts with my C/A more than his. 

Just wanting to get other viewpoints.

One of the bigger reasons I've loved Warrior gloves so much is the lack of wrist strap, so having longer arms on a C/A never bothered me, but trying different brands is potentially making me realize I may need some gear adjustments. 

26 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Thanks. @seagoaland I talked about it and in comparison to his, my wrist strap interacts with my C/A more than his. 

Just wanting to get other viewpoints.

One of the bigger reasons I've loved Warrior gloves so much is the lack of wrist strap, so having longer arms on a C/A never bothered me, but trying different brands is potentially making me realize I may need some gear adjustments. 

Right on. Like I said - my CA is broken in like a wet paper bag so if the glove pushes the arm up a bit - I probably wouldn't even notice it. My CA doesn't have arm adjustments (but is loose up where the arm connects). Suppose you could always shorten the arms if not via stock by punching some holes/adding grommets to go old school style on your CA... though with pricetags in the $500-$700 range - that isn't something I usually entertain. Good luck!

I'm with you guys @coopaloop1234 / @SaveByRichter35 on the prefer shorter arms bandwagon. Its part of why I tuck my chest because in going with off the shelf units - I'd rather go with a shorter-ish arm length (meaning I'm also stuck with a shorter-ish belly pad length). Tucking ensures there is no gap from stomach to upper jock. At any rate at this point I'm just used to it anyhow.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Scythe said:

Surprised to learn today of a brand new ECHL team that will be based in Savannah GA. First ever player signing is goaltender Darion Hanson.

GHOST PIRATES AGREE TO TERMS WITH GOALTENDER DARION HANSON (ghostpirateshockey.com)

I have never wanted to be part of a team so badly. That’s an unreal name and that Savannah rink isn’t too bad if I remember correctly. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ThatCarGuy said:

I have never wanted to be part of a team so badly. That’s an unreal name and that Savannah rink isn’t too bad if I remember correctly. 

I agree, great name. I never knew there was so much interest in hockey there. The times I've been there it always felt like a small costal town. Never even knew they had an arena. 

Savannah is a 3 1/2 hour drive from us but got an email from the Glads and they will be coming here throughout the season. Looking forward to seeing them. Nice merch on the team page.  

(Supposedly Savannah is one of the most haunted cities in the United States)  

Edited by Scythe
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Bears are incredibly agile to say the least.

My relative shot one up in Maine (you can hunt black bear in Maine). I had to help load it up for him in his truck. Their fur is like a German Sheppard. Also their claws are all five toes foreword, not really a thumb like claw. Dense animal. The fur kinda wiggles like your guy shows in the Ring video.

I don't hunt. My family does. I'm more a fan of catching small mouth bass out of the beautiful rivers in Maine. They're fun fish to catch.

2 hours ago, MTH said:

Bears are incredibly agile to say the least.

My relative shot one up in Maine (you can hunt black bear in Maine). I had to help load it up for him in his truck. Their fur is like a German Sheppard. Also their claws are all five toes foreword, not really a thumb like claw. Dense animal. The fur kinda wiggles like your guy shows in the Ring video.

I don't hunt. My family does. I'm more a fan of catching small mouth bass out of the beautiful rivers in Maine. They're fun fish to catch.

Black bear is huntable in BC as well. Just never purposefully gone for them myself but I carry a tag just in case. 

We live by conservation land and there's also a popular salmon spawning grounds about a 10 minute walk from here too. We've seen this trio a few times in the past few months we've lived here already. This was just the first time they decided to walk through my driveway.

I'm late to the Sideline Swap party - but man, they skim hard from sellers.

I've sold a few things, so I'm at the lower skim level now. They get you good for the first 6 items. Foolish me, sold a $500 bat before my 6 items. Should have sold six crap items for peanuts to save money.

The things I sold the past two months - I use the Sideline shipping they offer. Whatever, the buyer pays it. But every item I send out takes almost 2 weeks to get there. I hustle and get it dropped off usually within 12 hours of sale. Then I watch the tracker say 2 weeks out. Makes me look like the clown that ripped off the seller for shipping.

Not to mention that Sideline shipping is overpriced!

So I sold a catchers chest protector today. I listed it with my own shipping for $10. Sideline skims off the shipping fee I charge. So you only get 88% of the shipping fee you charge the seller. What a scam!

Actual shipping was $12 for it. I got only $8.80. 

Receipt

e73e81969a20a6bb_original.jpeg
All Star System 7 Catcher's Chest Protector Navy Camo
Ask Price: $60.00

Sale Price $60.00
Payment Processing Fee - $2.04
SidelineSwap Fee - $5.40
Shipping Credit $8.80
You Earned $61.36
Add’l charges to buyer:
Sales Tax $0.00
Shipping $10.00
Buyer Paid $70.00

Tony and the boys from Newark would be proud.

18 minutes ago, MTH said:

I'm late to the Sideline Swap party - but man, they skim hard from sellers.

I've sold a few things, so I'm at the lower skim level now. They get you good for the first 6 items. Foolish me, sold a $500 bat before my 6 items. Should have sold six crap items for peanuts to save money.

The things I sold the past two months - I use the Sideline shipping they offer. Whatever, the buyer pays it. But every item I send out takes almost 2 weeks to get there. I hustle and get it dropped off usually within 12 hours of sale. Then I watch the tracker say 2 weeks out. Makes me look like the clown that ripped off the seller for shipping.

Not to mention that Sideline shipping is overpriced!

So I sold a catchers chest protector today. I listed it with my own shipping for $10. Sideline skims off the shipping fee I charge. So you only get 88% of the shipping fee you charge the seller. What a scam!

Actual shipping was $12 for it. I got only $8.80. 

Tony and the boys from Newark would be proud.

Unfortunately it's still the absolute best way to offload old gear. 

I've used Facebook marketplace, specially goalie sale groups, here, GGSU, etc. to try and sell old gear. Was never successful. 

Within a few weeks on Sideline Swap, all that gear was gone. 

Without it, that gear would have gone to consignment where they have to find the one guy in the shop who plays winger try and price out goalie gear.