The official 2021-2022 "Gear sitings" thread

Steph Lawa

22 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

When do they introduce hitting now? I think by 15 I had been hitting for a few seasons already...

Bantam. 14u. But the new checking rules implemented by USA Hockey this season were good and at the same time an adjustment for those who had been checking for a few seasons already - like my kid. Actually, the refs are making it harder as some call the new rules, some don't, some do when they want to... kids are all over the place.

On 2/16/2022 at 12:14 PM, MTH said:

My oldest is 6' about 180. He's 15 now. Plays D. Forever and the day growing up everyone said he's gonna be a terror when you can hit. 

But now? Small defenseman are what is in style. Team USA for the Olympics didn't even have one d man over 6'.

My son even is looked down upon because he's big. Small and quick is what everyone wants.

So while big ass kids are the pick for goal. They aren't anywhere else on the ice.

I think that comes from the idea that the D’s job is not to defend, it’s to regain possession and transition to offence. There have been a lot of small, mobile, puck moving D that have gone in the NHL draft the last number of years. And the skating of these kids is unbelievable. 

That said a colleague of mine who coaches in the BCHL believes that the the big Dman will make its return and teams will model after Tampa Bay’s big and heavy D. 

15 hours ago, RedX said:

I think that comes from the idea that the D’s job is not to defend, it’s to regain possession and transition to offence. There have been a lot of small, mobile, puck moving D that have gone in the NHL draft the last number of years. And the skating of these kids is unbelievable. 

That said a colleague of mine who coaches in the BCHL believes that the the big Dman will make its return and teams will model after Tampa Bay’s big and heavy D. 

You already see Yzerman doing it again in Detroit.  Seider, Edvinson Buium, and Tuomisto were all recent draft picks who are 6'3" or taller and Wyatt Newpower is a UDFA who's also 6'3".   I can't see the small, dynamic puck moving D-man like Quinn Hughes dying out completely, but I expect they'll be paired with a big hoss to do the heaving lifting.    

Big, burly D men aren't going anywhere.

Imagine stacking your back end with guys under 6'0" / 200lbs. They'd get manhandled in the corners and in front of the net.

Being able to be quick and move the puck well is a massive asset, but if you can't dislodge a ROR from in front of the net, then you're in trouble.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, southpawtendy48 said:

Yeah… might be because he hasn’t been very good but he still has a special place in my heart 

For sure.  I love him, I'm a big fan.  There's just a lot of new hockey fans around here and they see them lose a lot and he goes to the bench in the 3rd almost every game...it's too easy to dislike the goalie.

It's been very difficult to watch him this season.  Oof.

7 hours ago, seagoal said:

For sure.  I love him, I'm a big fan.  There's just a lot of new hockey fans around here and they see them lose a lot and he goes to the bench in the 3rd almost every game...it's too easy to dislike the goalie.

It's been very difficult to watch him this season.  Oof.

You should watch my guys in Montreal, cringe material. Hammond won today in the shootout. How long will that last is to see. Not much coming in on Price, Allen is completely MIA, Montembeault is playing hurt, Primeau is a joke, and the rest, well...

Can't even predict who will be in nets for next season with all that's happening.

It's a rare goalie who is going to be just as good on a bad team as he is on a good team.  

The Kraken and the Avalanche are like night and day.  I don't know if it makes him a fraud because his success has tanked after this move to Seattle.  It maybe means he's not good enough to consistently steal games for a bad team,  but ok.  Ttat just makes him normal. I'd argue most goalies,  ourselves included, can't do that. 

Edited by seagoal

25 minutes ago, seagoal said:

It's a rare goalie who is going to be just as good on a bad team as he is on a good team.  

The Kraken and the Avalanche are like night and day.  I don't know if it makes him a fraud because his success has tanked after this move to Seattle.  It maybe means he's not good enough to consistently steal games for a bad team,  but ok.  Ttat just makes him normal. I'd argue most goalies,  ourselves included, can't do that. 

To sort of add to that, my team is last place in the NA3HL and not a single goalie on it is above a .900 sv%. Hell I’m at a .840 with 119 shots against in 2 games played. No amount of good goaltending can save a terrible team in my opinion 

Edited by ThatCarGuy

59 minutes ago, ThatCarGuy said:

To sort of add to that, my team is last place in the NA3HL and not a single goalie on it is above a .900 sv%. Hell I’m at a .840 with 119 shots against in 2 games played. No amount of good goaltending can save a terrible team in my opinion 

I often think of our own hockey team as a filter, the opponent the stuff that needs to go through the filter, and the goalie (us) as the recipient of the stuff that has gone through the filter.  Maybe a coffee filter, coffee, and a coffee mug are the best way to visualize that.

The cup of coffee you get if the coffee filter sucks is going to be sludgy and gross and that ain't the coffee mug's fault ;)  There could be cracks in the mug, to be fair, and that's no good.  But a nice mug can not make sludgy gross coffee taste good.

And with that, my analogies are done, haha.

Edited by seagoal
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, seagoal said:

I often think of our own hockey team as a filter, the opponent the stuff that needs to go through the filter, and the goalie (us) as the recipient of the stuff that has gone through the filter.  Maybe a coffee filter, coffee, and a coffee mug are the best way to visualize that.

The cup of coffee you get if the coffee filter sucks is going to be sludgy and gross and that ain't the coffee mug's fault ;)  There could be cracks in the mug, to be fair, and that's no good.  But a nice mug can not make sludgy gross coffee taste good.

And with that, my analogies are done, haha.

By no means have I been myself this season, but the fact that most of our team are freshman and the fact I’ve been dealing with tons of mental warfare does not help. My thought process is that you don’t win your team games, you give them a chance to win. However you should always have a high standard for yourself. I would elaborate more but who knows who will read this lol 

Edited by southpawtendy48
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, southpawtendy48 said:

By no means have I been myself this season, but the fact that most of our team are freshman and the fact I’ve been dealing with tons of mental warfare does not help. My thought process is that you don’t win your team games, you give them a chance to win. However you should always have a high standard for yourself. I would elaborate more but who knows who will read this lol 

I think that is well said...and I always read, your posts in particular :)