The official 2021-2022 "Gear sitings" thread

Steph Lawa

30 minutes ago, keeperton said:

Love this Vaughn family that exists with the Kings where they all use really specific models and other specs on their gear.

Same.  I remember once on here we were all brainstorming non-Vaughn LA goalies...it was not a long list.

On 2/25/2022 at 2:40 PM, chakal said:

It's cool to see tribute sets. But I was wondering, in 20 years from now, how will future NHL goalies pay tribut to current NHL goalies? I mean, now, goalies use 3 different masks with different paint-jobs each season and nobody uses the same graphic on gear for more than a one season. So I guess future goalies will still be paying tribute to 80's and 90's goalies.

The only goalie with a distinctive and unique mask that comes to mind is Rask. I think he used the same paintjob for his whole career.

Speaking of 20 years later... holy Chakal siting.

There will be no retro from 2022 stuff. The kids in 2042 will be wearing retro gear styles from the 90s still. 

Back when the goalies had iconic style. Gear that was identifiable by who wore them. Masks that guys wore for more than a month (some guys went years).

The kids in 2024 will still be wearing retro Jordans too.

Get off my lawn! Damn kids!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 2/28/2022 at 9:21 AM, MTH said:

Speaking of 20 years later... holy Chakal siting.

I still come here often, but I no longer have all the contacts I had in the goalie gear business, so I don't have much to add to discussions. I'm into making comic books now, it takes a big chunk of my time.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, chakal said:

I still come here often, but I no longer have all the contacts I had in the goalie gear business, so I don't have much to add to discussions. I'm into making comic books now, it takes a big chunk of my time.

You still playing?

That Blues gear in earlier post looks too street hockey like and I had a pair of McLean goalie pants for awhile when I was about 4 waist sizes McLeaner. I remember there not being much to them.

Padding in them was pretty sparse. A pair of CCM 1.9 pants blows those out of the water as far as padding goes. 

Edited by Scythe
  • Haha 1

On 3/1/2022 at 9:05 PM, chakal said:

The cameos are always welcome though!

• Like 1

On 3/6/2022 at 12:03 AM, keeperton said:

Not a fan. The swirls in the T are not pleasing to me.

I like the mask.

That is from the jersey logo. I had some confusion over that. That was probably high technology stitching for like 1920!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheGoalNet said:

Anyone notice a new puckering phenomenon in gear? Look at the boot in Mrazek's pad 

Toes, shins, and thighs. 

I had a minor amount of buckling on my sidewall of my GT2 blocker, but these domestic made for pros is rife with them. 

It hasn't been much of a talking point lately, but this does add a bit of fuel to the fire for "Domestic vs Overseas" gear quality.  

1 hour ago, TheGoalNet said:

Anyone notice a new puckering phenomenon in gear? Look at the boot in Mrazek's pad 

Some of the puckering could be caused by a lack of backing material or poor lacing/hole placement for lacing. I have found this in a LOT of gear made worldwide.

Edited by bunnyman666

2 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

That is from the jersey logo. I had some confusion over that. That was probably high technology stitching for like 1920!

I suppose that makes a lot more sense then. Likely looks a lot better with the uniforms.

17 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

Some of the puckering could be caused by a lack of backing material or poor lacing/hole placement for lacing. I have found this in a LOT of gear made worldwide.

It almost looks like there is too much material there. Can’t they just take less material and stretch it a bit to avoid having this happen?

8 minutes ago, A.YOUNGoalie13 said:

It almost looks like there is too much material there. Can’t they just take less material and stretch it a bit to avoid having this happen?

If the holes don’t line up in relationship to the seams, it can happen, as well. What we forget is that pro gear is rushed and these things can happen. The new owner of the pads will be happy to have NHL history, mismatched holes, lumps and all 😅

• Like 1
  • Haha 1