Vinyl Mask Wraps

On 5/20/2019 at 12:28 PM, Punisher Goalie said:

@TheGoalNet is the chrome actually reflective? I’ve been wondering if wraps could achieve the mirror and/or metallic look. I assume it’s possible but wasn’t sure which wrap producer(s) can do it. 

Yes, it's reflective. It's not a perfect mirror, but I think it looks sick.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
39 minutes ago, A.YOUNGoalie13 said:

Does anyone know what it looks like if you put a cage skin over a paintjob? Can you still clearly see the colors and design in the gaps or are they super small and its not an issue?

If it’s printed and cut design, then definitely; if it is an entire design on a few sheets of vinyl meant to cover the entire mask, then it depends on the installation.

• Thanks 1

• 9 months later...

Bumping this as I'm contemplating getting a wrap done on my VTX that's currently hydrodipped.  Seems like SkinFX and JF Aumais are the two folks recommended, anyone else to look at?  How are folks' wraps holding up?  I'm wondering if they can clear coat over the wrap for a little more protection or if that wouldn't make a difference.  

34 minutes ago, jerd31 said:

Bumping this as I'm contemplating getting a wrap done on my VTX that's currently hydrodipped.  Seems like SkinFX and JF Aumais are the two folks recommended, anyone else to look at?  How are folks' wraps holding up?  I'm wondering if they can clear coat over the wrap for a little more protection or if that wouldn't make a difference.  

I had an issue with JF when I got my masked wrapped by him. The mockup looked just fine, but the final product's red color came out wrong.

67831670_2484063228281803_7819231834906034176_n.thumb.jpg.0df5b32ad9e8fc066c4e0524e628a06b.jpg

319362997_583763586807409_2807271049731890525_n.thumb.jpg.692a9065f9c0ea2b674663f412574596.jpg

His excuse was:

As for the color, you will have to save some acceptance. Printers gave to make red with four colors: cyan, magenta, yellow and black. It can do a pretty good job creating nice reds, but there is unfortunately a limit to what it can reproduce. There is also the fact that the material is stretched while being applied which can make the color go a tiny bit lighter. There is nothing more I can do to get a better red other than spending hundreds of thousand of dollars to have a printer that actually has a red ink cartridge unfortunately. Your mask still looks awesome.

Wish he had told me that during the time we made three mockups! He also said that this is the first time someone mentioned the issue with the red... but there was a GGSU thread about this a couple weeks ago with others having the same issue with him. 😐

EDIT: My experience was three years ago, so his equipment/practices may have changed.

Edited by ZeroGravitas
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, jerd31 said:

Re: SkinFx

Going through my chat history with Mark:

Deposit paid 11/2021
Mask delivered from Pro's Choice 6/2/2022
Mask design approved 7/14/2022
Mask shipped 7/17/2022

My experience: he takes a while and needs constant reminders to get a design done, but the work is good.
Note that he only lays up the design, he cannot do any digital art for you from scratch.

• Thanks 1

Along the same lines as posted above - re: SkinFx, I had similar issues. I got through the design process with Mark. It took months (I can go get the chat history from my email if requested) to get a mock-up of my requested design. The design itself was o.k. (reasonable for the price paid/quoted). After too much time had passed, I decided to pull my money and had my mask painted elsewhere. I'd be wary to use SkinFx again, only because of the time/need for follow-up. 

I just tried Custom Cages Decal kit, and I will say that I am extremely disappointed. It was fairly cheap sure, but the print quality is sub-par, and the decal cutout was very poor causing white edges to appear on the black design. The vinyl was also hard to work with even using a blow dryer, even on the lowest heat setting it shrivelled up.

I will definitely send it off to a pro next time around.

15 minutes ago, johncho said:

I just tried Custom Cages Decal kit, and I will say that I am extremely disappointed. It was fairly cheap sure, but the print quality is sub-par, and the decal cutout was very poor causing white edges to appear on the black design. The vinyl was also hard to work with even using a blow dryer, even on the lowest heat setting it shrivelled up.

I will definitely send it off to a pro next time around.

Did you go with one of the preset decals or full custom? 

I grabbed a set from them and I'd say it looks good enough and wasn't too frustrating of a process to apply. And I'm not patient with artsy stuff like this. 

If you looks closely you can see a lot of uncut edges from myself that I've never bothered to trim. 

20230109_114006.thumb.jpg.c2ccc35a75f119382c6a1504bd720443.jpg20230109_114031.thumb.jpg.82ea7e8f6720d9afbc57884c717f0b89.jpg

Edited by coopaloop1234

It was the preset. Other than the numbers the other graphics present were extremely pixelated.

Having done print work before, maybe I notice things more than others. But even the outline cuts on the design were poor and not even, causing a white outline to show on the black design.

But in the end, it was 30~40 bucks and a fun surprise for my kid before a tournament.

• 1 month later...
On 1/4/2023 at 4:19 PM, jerd31 said:

I second this post...another bump and same questions that I couldnt really find the answer to.

After this long, are we seeing tears, rips, bubbles, scuffs, etc from JF?  

Is it the 3M thicker vinyl and not the thinner bumper sticker vinyl that JF uses?  

Can you clear coat them with layers of rattle can clear coat for more protection?

Side question, @SaveByRichter35 is that a Belfour/Potvin Protechsport mask?  I'd like to have a mask made and shipped right to JF if the durability of the wrap is good.  

• 2 months later...

I had my mask wrapped by Mask Wraps in Mississauga, ON. Really nice to work with and was able to accommodate having it dropped off, wrapped, and picked up within the same day.

I've only had it for about 2 weeks, but there are absolutely no air bubbles or areas peeling up yet. Around the edges there is a clear edge that goes along the inside of the mask, I assume to prevent any peeling. It's one large piece that wraps around the chin and up both sides, the only separate piece being the black stripe on the top.

It was about $350 CAD for a full wrap including the backplate.

The only flaw is that the 2 red stripes on the side don't line up on the center, but it's so minor that I'm probably the only one who notices/cares.

IMG_1053.png

IMG_1054.png

IMG_1055.png

IMG_1056.png

8 minutes ago, kat30 said:

I had my mask wrapped by Mask Wraps in Mississauga, ON. Really nice to work with and was able to accommodate having it dropped off, wrapped, and picked up within the same day.

I've only had it for about 2 weeks, but there are absolutely no air bubbles or areas peeling up yet. Around the edges there is a clear edge that goes along the inside of the mask, I assume to prevent any peeling. It's one large piece that wraps around the chin and up both sides, the only separate piece being the black stripe on the top.

It was about $350 CAD for a full wrap including the backplate.

The only flaw is that the 2 red stripes on the side don't line up on the center, but it's so minor that I'm probably the only one who notices/cares.

Wow, that looks really great - that textured look came out amazing. Did you come up with the design yourself?

10 minutes ago, ZeroGravitas said:

Wow, that looks really great - that textured look came out amazing. Did you come up with the design yourself?

Sort of, the stripes were inspired by Justin Ferguson's Dartmouth mask; although I can't remember who the original artist was on that. I drew a rough sketch of what I wanted and emailed it to them, and they put it all together to make the real design.