2018-2019 NHL Gear Sitings

Steph Lawa

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

I wonder how many of these masks are hits with the NHL guys (players and all). Do they all think these designs are rad-tacular? Bodacious? Gnarly?

Or do they even really have a huge amount of care as long as some of their ideas are implemented?

I'm generally curious

I bet most of them are generally pleased with the masks they receive. Not to paint NHL guys with a wide brush, but they certainly seem to have a ... homogeneous approach to style. Clothes, hair, tattoos, cars, footwear, etc. There are always some individuals that stand out, but most guys seem to follow the same basic trends, and they often end up looking more or less the same. Not a criticism, it makes sense... they're more or less the same age, grew up in the same environments, admired the same people, enjoy similar financial status (ballpark), and tend to go out and socialize with one another.

Maybe I'm reaching, but I think you can apply the same notion to masks. "The thing" has been for masks to be (overly) intricate, flashy, and "aggressive", often with a mix of team-oriented visuals peppered with smaller personal references. And you can count on most people to go with "the thing".

I think it all boils down to trends. NHL guys are young, and they're not above the (entirely human) tendency to want to fit in and have the same thing everyone else does.

51 minutes ago, stackem30 said:

I bet most of them are generally pleased with the masks they receive. Not to paint NHL guys with a wide brush, but they certainly seem to have a ... homogeneous approach to style. Clothes, hair, tattoos, cars, footwear, etc. There are always some individuals that stand out, but most guys seem to follow the same basic trends, and they often end up looking more or less the same. Not a criticism, it makes sense... they're more or less the same age, grew up in the same environments, admired the same people, enjoy similar financial status (ballpark), and tend to go out and socialize with one another.

Maybe I'm reaching, but I think you can apply the same notion to masks. "The thing" has been for masks to be (overly) intricate, flashy, and "aggressive", often with a mix of team-oriented visuals peppered with smaller personal references. And you can count on most people to go with "the thing".

I think it all boils down to trends. NHL guys are young, and they're not above the (entirely human) tendency to want to fit in and have the same thing everyone else does.

I was definitely thinking the same train of thought.

Though my reasoning was far shorter: "Dude, they're a bunch of Bros."

6 minutes ago, Moose75 said:

What they lack in personality or charisma they make up in hockey talent 

I don't think anyone here would disagree. I think we can point out that there's somewhat of a low bar for style/originality without negating what incredibly talented athletes these guys are. But this forum is 99% minutia (I wouldn't have it any other way) and it's fun to speculate about these things.

1 hour ago, stackem30 said:

I don't think anyone here would disagree. I think we can point out that there's somewhat of a low bar for style/originality without negating what incredibly talented athletes these guys are. But this forum is 99% minutia (I wouldn't have it any other way) and it's fun to speculate about these things.

I honestly think that masks are a good way to show who you are and what you’re trying to accomplish, I know that sounds a bit cringy but most goalies have failed to do that. Like if you have something in your backplate maybe that counts a little but I just see no personality with most designs :/ 

5 minutes ago, southpawtendy48 said:

I honestly think that masks are a good way to show who you are and what you’re trying to accomplish, I know that sounds a bit cringy but most goalies have failed to do that. Like if you have something in your backplate maybe that counts a little but I just see no personality with most designs :/ 

All my usual DaveArt criticisms aside, I think the guy just has too many clients and too many masks to crank out for any of them to truly be special. And I think the modern approach to painting goalie masks can take some blame (not all -- there are still many talented, tasteful artists out there who turn out good work on a consistent basis).

You read stories about how some of the more classic masks were painted, and it seems like so many of them were designed by a family member or a friend, someone the goalie knew personally. And the people who designed/painted them often didn't paint goalie masks for a living -- it might have just been something cool they had the opportunity to do the one time. And they were probably painted in their garage or something like that. The entire process sounds more intimate.

Today, you just pop your mask in the mail with some instructions to someone who you'll probably never meet face-to-face. And they have a bunch of masks they have to finish before yours, and a ton after yours. They're trying to churn 'em out. And if you're running a mask-painting business for a living, you might be trying to develop a signature look, something you don't want to stray from too much. All in all, it's slowly transforming into a big 'ole assembly line. Not exactly great for original work that really stands out.

That's only a small part of the 'problem'. Design trends share a lot of the blame. A lot of what makes masks so unmemorable are the same bad design elements that make modern movies a mess: there's too much amazing technological capabilities available, and you just end up having a ton of busy, 'wow' shit crammed into a small space. Think of some CGI-filled action sequence with way too much going on compared to a thoughtfully composed shot in a classic film, etc.

1 hour ago, stackem30 said:

All my usual DaveArt criticisms aside, I think the guy just has too many clients and too many masks to crank out for any of them to truly be special. And I think the modern approach to painting goalie masks can take some blame (not all -- there are still many talented, tasteful artists out there who turn out good work on a consistent basis).

You read stories about how some of the more classic masks were painted, and it seems like so many of them were designed by a family member or a friend, someone the goalie knew personally. And the people who designed/painted them often didn't paint goalie masks for a living -- it might have just been something cool they had the opportunity to do the one time. And they were probably painted in their garage or something like that. The entire process sounds more intimate.

Today, you just pop your mask in the mail with some instructions to someone who you'll probably never meet face-to-face. And they have a bunch of masks they have to finish before yours, and a ton after yours. They're trying to churn 'em out. And if you're running a mask-painting business for a living, you might be trying to develop a signature look, something you don't want to stray from too much. All in all, it's slowly transforming into a big 'ole assembly line. Not exactly great for original work that really stands out.

That's only a small part of the 'problem'. Design trends share a lot of the blame. A lot of what makes masks so unmemorable are the same bad design elements that make modern movies a mess: there's too much amazing technological capabilities available, and you just end up having a ton of busy, 'wow' shit crammed into a small space. Think of some CGI-filled action sequence with way too much going on compared to a thoughtfully composed shot in a classic film, etc.

Completely agree with all of that. He’s an extremely talented guy there’s just a lot of demand for trendy masks and him probably being the most popular mask painter right now that’s to be expected from people. 

Very cool. About Subban and Coveted.

And @stackem30 you nailed it. There are no classics anymore. A product of the disposable world we live in. It’s just “onto the next”.... nothing has soul anymore.  It’s just a short shelf life.  The classics Roy, Broduer, Richter, Beezer, Belfour.etc are gone. Classic designs have been swapped for the flavor of the every couple months.  Sad

10 minutes ago, Mike24 said:

Very cool. About Subban and Coveted.

And @stackem30 you nailed it. There are no classics anymore. A product of the disposable world we live in. It’s just “onto the next”.... nothing has soul anymore.  It’s just a short shelf life.  The classics Roy, Broduer, Richter, Beezer, Belfour.etc are gone. Classic designs have been swapped for the flavor of the every couple months.  Sad

Quick and Rask never change their masks. I'd say the Quick Knight helmet has become pretty iconic. I see it copied all the time.

8 hours ago, netminder said:

Not NHL sightings, doesn't belong in this thread

Sitings****

Been checking out this thread for ~10 years, and it never sticks to the NHL. There are always pics of KHL, NCAA, and junior-league guys. I'm just happy that other people take the time to post new gear. 

Archived