2018-2019 NHL Gear Sitings

Steph Lawa

10 hours ago, Mike24 said:

Very cool. About Subban and Coveted.

And @stackem30 you nailed it. There are no classics anymore. A product of the disposable world we live in. It’s just “onto the next”.... nothing has soul anymore.  It’s just a short shelf life.  The classics Roy, Broduer, Richter, Beezer, Belfour.etc are gone. Classic designs have been swapped for the flavor of the every couple months.  Sad

Ah man, I meant to say the same thing about 'disposable culture' — you said it well. On one hand, it's cool to have a variation of masks and see new designs and techniques. But it really does chip away from the 'value' of a good design when it's only around for a few months. 

Quick and Rask are exceptions to the rule, at this point. Most guys have a new mask at least every season, and when you factor in all the charities, the myriad of special-occasion games, and businesses like DaveArt wanting to debut new looks, we're seeing some guys go through 2 or 3 a season. Hard for anything to really resonate when it's always on to the next one.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, stackem30 said:

Jake Allen doing his best to capture "Most Underwhelming Setup of the Year", though I think he'll have to work harder if he wants to catch Budaj or Varlamov.

DnYxtvqW4AEUqyO.thumb.jpg.a92b4dc8517231998c9d062488945500.jpg

3 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Lol I love you Stackem

Do you guys remember back  in the mid 2000s when David Aebischer wore an all black set in Colorado and there were rumors that he was doing it as a way of asking for a trade?

I wonder if there is that kind of connotation nowadays.

4 hours ago, stackem30 said:

Jake Allen doing his best to capture "Most Underwhelming Setup of the Year", though I think he'll have to work harder if he wants to catch Budaj or Varlamov.

DnYxtvqW4AEUqyO.thumb.jpg.a92b4dc8517231998c9d062488945500.jpg

Over/under on when his seasonal hot streak will be this year? 

Before or after he goes back to the gym mat blue pads after a rocky streak, and there's yet another "goalie controversy" with him?

3 hours ago, Mike24 said:

I’ve heard it said on boards. That when a goalie wears all white.  He wants a trade, knows he’s getting traded. Maybe the same thing applied to all black back when goalies wore colored gear. 

If that were true, a shit load of goalies are gonna be moving cities in the next 2-3 weeks lolll

So many goalies (when asked) admit that they switched to all-white or white-based pads for the supposed optical advantages they provide. So when a guy does go from a colorful set to a white-based set, it feels a little bit like they're waving the white flag — no pun intended — and saying, "Oof, I need all the help I can get." 

That's my personal interpretation, of course. And even if I'm correct, there's nothing wrong (or unusual) with an athlete seeking every little advantage they can find, even if it's just a mental edge. Still, it feels as if there's something... desperate about it. I don't know, but it doesn't dispel confidence in my eyes. 

Forget about the Love Guru... BRING BACK THE GOALIE GURU!*

*For those who aren't familiar, there was a guy on YouTube called "Goalie Guru" who made a series of really bad videos ~10 years ago, critiquing NHL goalies on shootouts. He also used these videos to develop some half-baked theory that NHL goalies don't react, they just guess and throw some mustard on shots to "create the illusion" of making a save (I mean, kindddd of correct when you're talking about shots from in tight, but his theory was really a mess). He also claimed he was a professional goalie coach.

Overall, his videos belonged in the "so bad that they're actually great" genre. I remember the videos got absolutely roasted on the old GSBB, and I want to say that the guy made a brief appearance trying to defend them... ultimately, I think it got kind of mean, and he stopped making them. Maybe a more veteran GSBB member can refresh my memory?

Either way, they're still on YouTube, and are well worth the irony-watch. There are other Goalie Gurus on YouTube who seem to have legitimate camps, but I don't believe they're the same guy at all.

14 hours ago, Mike24 said:

I’ve heard it said on boards. That when a goalie wears all white.  He wants a trade, knows he’s getting traded. Maybe the same thing applied to all black back when goalies wore colored gear. 

Luongo has been openly wearing Vegas colours for 2 seasons now :P  Maybe next season he wears Seattle colours?

Archived