Blocker hand position

Jonathon v

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Max27 said:

is there actually any benefit to a high position?

12 minutes ago, ThatCarGuy said:

Getting beat high blocker less and better feel on stick? maybe

I suppose the reverse lower palm position... Better low coverage (likely increased overlap w/ pads) and lessens your ability to go paddle down. Maybe someone can find Dan Blackburn on IG and ask...

Related image

1 hour ago, coopaloop1234 said:

High: Dumb

Center: Standard positioning on a blocker. Good coverage.

Low: Better high coverage, better ability to paddle down

So low hand positioning covers high blocker better, and you can get into paddle down easier... is it not as good down low as center, also how does it cover high better 

most goalies have low, this avoids double coverage.j  the offset is usually just an 1".

You dont really need high as  this is achieved by challenging (cutting down the vertical angle) and push blocker forward with active hands.

Also the reason why u don't need huge paddles that everyone think they need as most pros have short paddles with rocker heels and blade shape.

Somewhat ironic that Belfour favored such a high blocker position — I remember in the 90's, he and Potvin were both credited with popularizing the paddle-down. Plus, he was notorious for being insanely picky about his gear, to the point that he'd work on his own stuff, rather than let his equipment managers do it. Given his reputation, I'd think he had his blocker positioned that way for a reason (even if it's incorrect, by modern standards).

Personally, I always thought it looked kinda cool... but as everyone's said, it's generally the least functional place to have your hand.

High hand/low board all day long...

Easier coverage on the low above the pad, inside the post sniper shot.

Less low holes when blocking or in RVH. 

If you can’t get into paddle down your wrist strap is way to tight. Plus the extra space between the board and your hand makes it easier to corral loose pucks without bringing your paddle off the ice.

If your positioning and reflexes are any good the high shot is not an issue as most people don’t protect the top corner with a vertical blocker position... it’s usually outer corner/edge up so you can put the rebound over the glass or at least in the corner. Otherwise, you would use your shoulder or chicken wing.

5C1D4698-785F-4068-A5B0-4A3D3994FBF5.jpeg

1 hour ago, CG35 said:

High hand/low board all day long...

Easier coverage on the low above the pad, inside the post sniper shot.

Less low holes when blocking or in RVH. 

If you can’t get into paddle down your wrist strap is way to tight. Plus the extra space between the board and your hand makes it easier to corral loose pucks without bringing your paddle off the ice.

If your positioning and reflexes are any good the high shot is not an issue as most people don’t protect the top corner with a vertical blocker position... it’s usually outer corner/edge up so you can put the rebound over the glass or at least in the corner. Otherwise, you would use your shoulder or chicken wing.

5C1D4698-785F-4068-A5B0-4A3D3994FBF5.jpeg

And yet, if this is your blocker setup, you are low hand high board. No?

Nope... Warrior G4.

”Low” = High Hand/Low Board.

It’s the bottom strap of the two velcro removable outside palm anchors. (Fingers pointed up)

I can see how that’s confusing though based on the photo... 

“High” would pull your fingers toward the bottom of the board in a “set” position.

Does that make any sense..?

7 hours ago, Punisher Goalie said:

Some of the confusion here might be high/low/middle HAND position vs. high/low/middle BOARD position.

Like with the markings on the moveable palm on Warrior blockers:

Low = low hand/high board position

Mid = mid hand/mid board position

High = high hand/low board position

Have you tinkered with all the settings? If yes, what’s your favorite and why?

Alright so my last post I didn’t make clear enough. People were talking about the board position and not hand position. According to brians site gnetik 4 has neutral hand position, optik has mid, heritage has high, and none have stock low so can I get the pros and cons of HAND POSITION and some suggestions on which one is the best 

Archived