Jump to content

Glove break in technique


Big2
 Share

Recommended Posts

16 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Y'all need to get on the Warrior/Brian's bandwagon.

What's a break in period?

Brian's Game Ready literally has 0 break in. My TGN Spec is the break broken in glove I have owned in my life. The only thing it needs is a stretcher to look in the square shape. @Brians_Joz and the boys have a leg up on everyone in this realm. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Y'all need to get on the Warrior/Brian's bandwagon.

What's a break in period?

Yes. Before Warriors, I had some old-spec beaten-up used Brian (DX2?), TPS smth, Itech/Bauer RX9. Went to Warrior Ritual (just the glove), then R2 full set and now R3 full set. Don't need to know about break-in period with the gloves at all. Gloves just close when the puck hits.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/16/2018 at 4:11 PM, coopaloop1234 said:

Y'all need to get on the Warrior/Brian's bandwagon.

What's a break in period?

I tried on two different Ritual G4 gloves....Yikes....

Ritual GT Pro is not bad. Otherwise I don't know what you're talking about.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, ULTIMA said:

I tried on two different Ritual G4 gloves....Yikes....

Ritual GT Pro is not bad. Otherwise I don't know what you're talking about.

G2, G3 and GT have all been the easiest glove to close off the shelf, haven't had a chance to get my greasy paws on a G4 set yet.

So what are you talking about?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, coopaloop1234 said:

G2, G3 and GT have all been the easiest glove to close off the shelf, haven't had a chance to get my greasy paws on a G4 set yet.

So what are you talking about?

I'll repeat, G4 gloves thusfar have been lousy. GT have been acceptable.

Historically Warrior has  been good but not as of late.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

With all my catchers, I poured a ton of hot water into and around my glove like the Keeps method. I did find that my hot tap water and few in game uses made the glove stink a bit and I barely sweat in the hands so don't forget to Ozone clean your gloves after every season to kill any and all bacteria. 

My local shop does it for $35 a hockey bag, so I was able to fit 2 sets of gloves, pants, knee braces and my chesty which was a great deal.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

I got a varlamov pro return Eflex 3 pro glove last month and I’m having a hard time breaking it in. I’ve been religiously alternating between the stretcher and the glove wrap almost daily and it’s not quite where I’d expect. Still way too difficult to close the last quarter of the way. Its a “game ready” palm but think most of the difficulty with closure is coming from the thick layer of D30. 

Anyone else having similar break in issues with CCM pro Eflex 3 or pro p2? Is it the D30 that’s harder to break in?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, dstew29 said:

I got a varlamov pro return Eflex 3 pro glove last month and I’m having a hard time breaking it in. I’ve been religiously alternating between the stretcher and the glove wrap almost daily and it’s not quite where I’d expect. Still way too difficult to close the last quarter of the way. Its a “game ready” palm but think most of the difficulty with closure is coming from the thick layer of D30.  

Anyone else having similar break in issues with CCM pro Eflex 3 or pro p2? Is it the D30 that’s harder to break in?

I don't think the D30 goes across the break.  It should just in the semicircular crease in the center of the palm, you can see it protruding a bit when the glove is new.
D30 as a material is not designed to break in.  Upon impact it is supposed to rebound and stiffen immediately; it would be counterproductive for them to place it into the break.

Have you tried baking the glove in your local shop's skate oven?  This typically loosens up some of the glues and plastics and makes it a bit more pliable. 
The warm water method works similar to a skate oven as well. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@TheGoalNet @Aquilzz another vote here for the Hot Glove. Got mine for $5 on Amazon. 

The split design is genius, gives you a lot of flexibility on placement. My 1S glove was still stiff after more than a season, and after about 5 rotations of stretcher, then Hot Glove with a puck on the break, it finally got fappy. Oooh. #FinallyFappy lol

Now using it on my Optik glove which definitely did not have the extra break in time option. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Punisher Goalie said:

@TheGoalNet @Aquilzz another vote here for the Hot Glove. My 1S glove was still stiff after more than a season, and after about 5 rotations of stretcher, then Hot Glove with a puck on the break, it finally got fappy. Oooh. #FinallyFappy lol

? #finallfappy

Going to try this new method before going the bake/soak route. The CCM interior palm feels like a firm gel type material that seems too firm at the crease. I grabbed an old pair of channel locks with some tape and going to try and clamp down at each finger stall to see if this eventually helps. Going to keep the hot glove on as well.

Will report back if this finds the elusive #fappyplace 

9049BCC6-ECC1-484F-84F7-2734867173FC.jpeg

0E61CCF0-1E8B-4BDA-A07B-9BD016713713.jpeg

DF75604A-51C3-421E-921A-EF7B85430F75.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, dstew29 said:

? #finallfappy

Going to try this new method before going the bake/soak route. The CCM interior palm feels like a firm gel type material that seems too firm at the crease. I grabbed an old pair of channel locks with some tape and going to try and clamp down at each finger stall to see if this eventually helps. Going to keep the hot glove on as well.

Will report back if this finds the elusive #fappyplace 

9049BCC6-ECC1-484F-84F7-2734867173FC.jpeg

0E61CCF0-1E8B-4BDA-A07B-9BD016713713.jpeg

DF75604A-51C3-421E-921A-EF7B85430F75.jpeg

Neat idea clamping it from the interior!

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, dstew29 said:

? #finallfappy

Going to try this new method before going the bake/soak route. The CCM interior palm feels like a firm gel type material that seems too firm at the crease. I grabbed an old pair of channel locks with some tape and going to try and clamp down at each finger stall to see if this eventually helps. Going to keep the hot glove on as well.

Will report back if this finds the elusive #fappyplace 

9049BCC6-ECC1-484F-84F7-2734867173FC.jpeg

0E61CCF0-1E8B-4BDA-A07B-9BD016713713.jpeg

DF75604A-51C3-421E-921A-EF7B85430F75.jpeg

That is actually a great idea! Do you dampen your glove with this clamping? Sara from PAW also suggests to clamp the materials where the glove creases; this is just opened up. 

Good onya!!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/18/2018 at 10:51 AM, ULTIMA said:

I'll repeat, G4 gloves thusfar have been lousy. GT have been acceptable.

Historically Warrior has  been good but not as of late.

Looking at a set of G4s. So are u referring to only the break in time, or do you find the glove itself worse off (if so, why?)?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

That is actually a great idea! Do you dampen your glove with this clamping? Sara from PAW also suggests to clamp the materials where the glove creases; this is just opened up. 

Good onya!!!!

Thanks mate. Actually glad you’ve heard of this method from a manufacturer. Part of me wasn’t sure if it might jack with the padding/protection. I think it’s fine...hopefully

thats a good thought. Maybe I’ll try spraying the material before clamping if I’m not getting good progress.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...