Jump to content

Gear Flipping


ThatCarGuy
 Share

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, RichMan said:

Some guys are already doing it on Facebook. I've flipped some old school rare gems in the past. If you find, refurbish and resell at a reasonable price, you can fetch some descent coin and feed the market need and wants.

Looking more into newer models that need a little bit of repaired stitching and such as well as stuff put on sale by SidelineSwap this week. Partly because I want to test some different gear to better decide what I want this upcoming season

Edited by ThatCarGuy
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, ThatCarGuy said:

Looking more into newer models that need a little bit of repaired stitching and such as well as stuff put on sale by SidelineSwap this week. Partly because I want to test some different gear to better decide what I want this upcoming season

I've been pretty fortunate lately when flipping gear... albeit unintentional. The 2X Pro as a complete set just didn't work as well for me as I'd hoped and I was able to sell on Sideline Swap literally right before COVID hit. They were pretty lightly used and full custom... so I ended up not losing much on them. Enough in fact to pay for a full Axis set (2 gloves) and a new pair of HPG14A. That however is NOT the norm... especially in our current situation with so many guys (and kids) not on the ice as much as they would usually be. 

@Chenner29 has seen his first Lefevre set bounce around since they left his house... not sure if he can comment on pricing. Also not sure what you'd be planning on adding to a set to make any money off them. If it's just magic eraser personally I don't think it's worth your time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sport gear will always be a depreciating asset. There's the odd outlier where something actually increases in value, but that's more due to it's collection status over anything functional. 

You may be able to turn the slightest of profit on acquiring broken gear and refurbishing it. But that would be something you'd do as a hobby just for the sake of fixing gear. I'd consider you lucky to break even for the cost of materials and the original acquisition of the gear.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My used-but-for-a-season Reactor 6000s are still sitting at home waiting for a new owner to call. It's a very up/down market and unlike the housing market, you can't just go on the premise of "this is the current going price". People want a good deal and will (sometimes) expect things for cheap regardless. It's like a vehicle, depreciation is big even if barely used.

That's why I brought up the term "gem" in my initial comments above. It's a hit or miss market but if you can be patient enough, who knows.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've had decent success flipping gear, mainly due to finding things way underpriced that I could try out and then resell at a decent margin.

Results vary though, I've also lost money or sat on items for ages before selling.

Like anything, there's sellers out there who are out for a dollar and don't really understand how the market works: https://sidelineswap.com/gear/hockey/goalie/goalie-full-sets/3186941-bauer-red-senior-34-regular-supreme-2s-pro-stock-goalie-full-set

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, BadAngle41 said:

I've been pretty fortunate lately when flipping gear... albeit unintentional. The 2X Pro as a complete set just didn't work as well for me as I'd hoped and I was able to sell on Sideline Swap literally right before COVID hit. They were pretty lightly used and full custom... so I ended up not losing much on them. Enough in fact to pay for a full Axis set (2 gloves) and a new pair of HPG14A. That however is NOT the norm... especially in our current situation with so many guys (and kids) not on the ice as much as they would usually be. 

@Chenner29 has seen his first Lefevre set bounce around since they left his house... not sure if he can comment on pricing. Also not sure what you'd be planning on adding to a set to make any money off them. If it's just magic eraser personally I don't think it's worth your time.

Right, I sent them to @TheGoalNet to check out, then I sold them to a dude in Arizona.  I took a bit of a hit on them off buying new, but it was somewhat offset as I was able to apply a new credit card promo (spend X get Y back) on a portion of the new price.  I saw them back up for sale a few weeks ago by another dude in Arizona, so I'm guessing the original buyer flipped them.

I attribute this to a few things -

  1. Covid, no one is playing
  2. Colors
  3. Concerns over sizing on the 20.1 line

It's going to be an uphill battle buying and flipping gear and you'll have to wade through a lot of silly PMs, especially if you're selling on SLS. 

I wish the app retained some of the messages I received last year as it was a pretty dog shit experience.  Maybe 5-6 messages asking me to split the glove (even though I stated I wanted to sell as a set), a few asking for trades (when I specifically stated I was not interested in trades), etc.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think that give or take a year after launch you will be able to get 60 to 70 percent back of what you paid, within reasons I'd day, and if you're lucky, a little more.  I keep my equipment in great shape, and was able to get some money back for my used equipment, more for others.  My hardest sell was my P1 pads, no one wanted those damn pads, I hated them myself.  After trying to sell them for maybe a year I had a newb buy them, sadly for him they were no good either in the end and I found them back on kijiji, poor guy.  My 11K skates were a tough sell, and even my Vapor 2x skates, took some time.  

Used sticks are a hard sell as well, you will be lucky to get back 50% I find, but was able to sell my used P2 and EF4 sticks.

It all depends on the market and what they are looking for, I was called names for asking too much money, just because some guys live on the internet to make fun of people selling, maybe because they are jealous they can't afford things? Not sure. A guy was hunting me for a few years, sending me marketing websites on selling lol in the end I did pretty good though, just know that some stuff will take time to sell, not everyone wants it.  Just the sad reality. 

In the end of it all over the years I was able to sell, 2 sets, 2 skates, 2 chesties, knee guards, 6 sticks, some new and some used, Bauer 960 xpm helmet.  

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah - I wasn't sure with the title. If you mean flipping as in flipping houses where the goal is to make money off the differential because the market is crazy as it is happening in a lot of places, I don't see it. If you are using the term in a manner where you offset you losses when you try gear and get rid of it in the short term, yes you can cushion the loss, but I don't see it being a money-making venture.

I think goalie gear is the same as cars where they lose 25% just driving off the lot. Sure there may be some high end or desirable gear that let's you cut your losses, and pro-return has the mystique of having been used by a pro, so adds value to some (especially if you are a fan of the original owner), otherwise the problem is mass quantity. Looking even at (my) local used market on line a quick glance garners about half a dozen Vaughn V-XX pads.

The other issue is, unlike a used car, one size does not fit all. I have seen pads I would love to buy at a reasonable price, but for me a 36+1 is not going to work. Then per @Chenner29there are colour schemes. There have been some beauts out there I would love and I am not looking for specific colours, but when I look at a pair of pads and my first thought is "Were they stoned when they chose that colour combination?", it's a hard pass.

Actually - this thread makes me wish there was a thread here, as opposed to the "Deals and Steals"  - titled "Most Outrageous Asks". I recall seeing a pair of leather Cooper pads somewhere, that were beaten to crap where the seller wanted ~ $800 because they were "vintage". Yeah, so is the dirt under my basement steps...

Edit - rereading this I just wanted to state I am not trying to rain on your parade, but just hoping to avoid having you stock up on gear and then end up with costs you hadn't counted on...

Edited by Colander
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Colander said:

Yeah - I wasn't sure with the title. If you mean flipping as in flipping houses where the goal is to make money off the differential because the market is crazy as it is happening in a lot of places, I don't see it. If you are using the term in a manner where you offset you losses when you try gear and get rid of it in the short term, yes you can cushion the loss, but I don't see it being a money-making venture.

I think goalie gear is the same as cars where they lose 25% just driving off the lot. Sure there may be some high end or desirable gear that let's you cut your losses, and pro-return has the mystique of having been used by a pro, so adds value to some (especially if you are a fan of the original owner), otherwise the problem is mass quantity. Looking even at (my) local used market on line a quick glance garners about half a dozen Vaughn V-XX pads.

The other issue is, unlike a used car, one size does not fit all. I have seen pads I would love to buy at a reasonable price, but for me a 36+1 is not going to work. Then per @Chenner29there are colour schemes. There have been some beauts out there I would love and I am not looking for specific colours, but when I look at a pair of pads and my first thought is "Were they stoned when they chose that colour combination?", it's a hard pass.

Actually - this thread makes me wish there was a thread here, as opposed to the "Deals and Steals"  - titled "Most Outrageous Asks". I recall seeing a pair of leather Cooper pads somewhere, that were beaten to crap where the seller wanted ~ $800 because they were "vintage". Yeah, so is the dirt under my basement steps...

 

If you click up on @motowngoalie's link to a SLS ad, you have another "Most Outrageous Ask"

Honestly I'm not opposed to putting up a "Meme Gear Sales" thread where we share silly ads

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Colander said:

I think goalie gear is the same as used cars where they lose 25% just driving off the lot. 

This is why I almost exclusively buy lightly used gear, use it for maybe a year and resell it. It hardly costs me anything to try out new stuff and I've drastically narrowed down my searches by eliminating the option of buying stuff I know I won't like. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Scythe said:

Seems like buyers expect to pay near to nothing.. even if the piece is brand new. I did sell some pants the other day.. and Sideline Swap was really a breeze to work with. Them taking care of the shipping hassles is worth it to me. 

No kidding. Trying to sell my G4 set and people are trying to push for $400 even though it has no wear spots, factory core stiffness (I didn’t bend them), and glove has a G5 palm because that’s all I could find. The knee binding is also repaired for them. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, ThatCarGuy said:

No kidding. Trying to sell my G4 set and people are trying to push for $400 even though it has no wear spots, factory core stiffness (I didn’t bend them), and glove has a G5 palm because that’s all I could find. The knee binding is also repaired for them. 

Yeah it's a pretty mixed bag. Some understand how the platform works and are respectful. Others have no idea and lowball, or ask things like why shipping is so expensive. I had a buyer try to withhold funds on a blocker until he used it in a game to see how he liked it. Luckily SS automatically gives you your money after the buyer has the item for 72 hours.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, ThatCarGuy said:

No kidding. Trying to sell my G4 set and people are trying to push for $400 even though it has no wear spots, factory core stiffness (I didn’t bend them), and glove has a G5 palm because that’s all I could find. The knee binding is also repaired for them. 

That's crazy. I've got my G3 set listed for $700 CAD, had a guy try to lowball me for $400 CAD.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, motowngoalie said:

Yeah it's a pretty mixed bag. Some understand how the platform works and are respectful. Others have no idea and lowball, or ask things like why shipping is so expensive. I had a buyer try to withhold funds on a blocker until he used it in a game to see how he liked it. Luckily SS automatically gives you your money after the buyer has the item for 72 hours.

Advantages of having access to daily ice. Anything I buy can be immediately tested

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Different area, different markets. It sound like 400$ for used G4 pads is fair offer.

 

I remember 15 years ago new pair of Pro pads costed 1400€ and after use of one season asking price was 900-1100€, you got close to that. There was 12" -> 11" rule wich made used 11" pads more desirable. 

 

Now pair of Pro pads cost 1800€ and if you don't sell those in first season (workin at hockey shop) you' re in trouble. Big brands release newer and fancier models maybe too often.  For example  it's hard to sell brand new pair of 2S pros even with 500€ price tag, so what is correct asking price for used pair? 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 year later...

This is just me, but I say absolutely not! The only way someone should be flipping gear is if they buy a piece and improve / refurb it. If you buy a piece of gear, use it for any bit of time and then try to sell it for more money its wrong. There are plenty of ways out there to make a buck, I feel that the goalie community should be self-supporting and the most understandable about how much this position already costs for all of us. 

In the recent past I found a Bauer Pro Series Pro Return chest protector for sale online. I was going to buy it if I was able to get rid of one that I already owned. Soon there-after, I found out that the seller I was going to purchase from bought this chest protector the year before for $150 less.  I was heated and did not follow through with the purchase. 

All in all, if you want to make money on used hockey gear without owning a shop, make improvements to the gear, or figure out how to make wallets. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/23/2021 at 4:30 PM, coopaloop1234 said:

Sport gear will always be a depreciating asset. There's the odd outlier where something actually increases in value, but that's more due to it's collection status over anything functional. 

You may be able to turn the slightest of profit on acquiring broken gear and refurbishing it. But that would be something you'd do as a hobby just for the sake of fixing gear. I'd consider you lucky to break even for the cost of materials and the original acquisition of the gear.

Yea, this. Gear doesn't go up in value. Time goes by, new stuff comes out, technology and rules change, etc. If I sell some gear, even if not used, I feel lucky if I don't take too much of a hit on it. I don't even think making a profit on it would enter my mind.

There's alot of better things to invest in if you're looking to make money.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Flipping likely is profitable if you buy a bunch of gear to take off of someone’s hands and refurb; even then- by the time you figure in your time and materials, it won’t be much of a gain. My “Pooperised” gear will likely fetch the same whether I added my funny logos or not, and I know that since resale is so bad, my stuff will be more likely donated to a local programme rather than sold. Vintage collectible gear is gaining in popularity, but most guys flipping it end up ultimately taking the loss if they had to hold onto it for any amount of time. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...