2022 - 2023 Cup

Fullright

22 minutes ago, johncho said:

Reading through this thread is quite interesting on Vasy

Thanks for posting this.  I'm not on Twitter but I got to nerd out for a few moments while at work

This is a bad habit of mine too, I get caught in a relaxed stance when it's in the mid to far ranges when I should be heavy on the puck.
I think there's a lot to be said for simple save biomechanics from a high vs low stance, distance from your knees to the ice, the amount of flex you have in your ankles/knees/hips - and this all gets amplified/exploited tenfold at the pro level

image.png.c423970a3168822bf59bbd0fb95db6fc.png

image.png.e1f0c3a23e78327314d1ec99ef4e14c1.png

image.png.529d8223a8a12037f8efc725b4368a0b.png

image.png

• Like 4

One of the things I notice when watching Tampa is that they rely too much on Vasilevskiy. So if he’s using relaxed stances at times to save energy, I imagine that’s why.
This is the kind of thing hockey is bad at, not recognizing that a vital player is being overworked. Especially when it comes to goalies. It’s the type of thing that will have negative effects later. I worry, he’s going to get injured one day because they ask so much from him. 

Edited by WillyGrips13
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, WillyGrips13 said:

One of the things I notice when watching Tampa is that they rely too much on Vasilevskiy. So if he’s using relaxed stances at times to save energy, I imagine that’s why.
This is the kind of thing hockey is bad at, not recognizing that a vital player is being overworked. Especially when it comes to goalies. It’s the type of thing that will have negative effects later. I worry, he’s going to get injured one day because they ask so much from him. 

Yeah, he's gone to 3 Cup Finals in the last 3 years, 71 postseason games (plus 217 regular season games since 2019-20)...that's a lot of mileage

• Like 1

Surprised that the 'Peg went like they did. Vegas is a good team but that was a stunner. Bowness lit his team up post game.

One "technique" that is vexing me is this "overload" deal. I dont know whether guys are misapplying it to the situation but almost every game, I see a goaler with his leg outside the short side post leaving tons of room long side. 

@GoalieInTheDesertYT: what's wrong with Kane? He's won 3 Cups with the Men's Leagure Team Formerly Known as the Chicago Blackhawks. Devils look much stronger than I expected and the Rangers are starting to look like they did with Hank....we'll skate around and let the goalie win for us....what? the goalie cant score too? 

3 hours ago, Fullright said:

One "technique" that is vexing me is this "overload" deal. I dont know whether guys are misapplying it to the situation but almost every game, I see a goaler with his leg outside the short side post leaving tons of room long side. 

It’s actually called the overlap (as in “post overlap”.)

It is a great option on bad angle plays as A) it doesn’t lock the goalie to the post; B) it completely seals the short side

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Fullright said:

Surprised that the 'Peg went like they did. Vegas is a good team but that was a stunner. Bowness lit his team up post game.

@GoalieInTheDesertYT: what's wrong with Kane? He's won 3 Cups with the Men's Leagure Team Formerly Known as the Chicago Blackhawks. Devils look much stronger than I expected and the Rangers are starting to look like they did with Hank....we'll skate around and let the goalie win for us....what? the goalie cant score too? 

Kane has been playing hurt almost the entire season. Was part of why the split from the Hawks was rough. They wanted to hold him out, resign him for next year then trade him but he wanted to leave and win this year. He isn’t 100%.

18 hours ago, Fullright said:

15 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

It’s actually called the overlap (as in “post overlap”.)

It is a great option on bad angle plays as A) it doesn’t lock the goalie to the post; B) it completely seals the short side

Not sure who made that twitter post or who was talking in the video but if they aren’t goalies take it with many grains of salt. The biggest thing is many of these moves get overused. Sorokin ended his team’s season by going into the rvh when the guy was above the goal line on the boards. Its incorrect to use it in that situation. The overlap is for guys just above the goal line, but again goalies will use it at the wrong time and get burned.

Same with how Vasy looks over screens. I do it the same way as him but once the shot is taken I’m no longer looking over, now I’m battling to make a save. The only reason its getting so much attention is because of who it is.

Every NHL goalie uses a soft stance and probably overuses it too. They all sit in the rvh too long or go into it when they could just stand up. There are things they could all do to prevent more goals but their habits and comforts get in the way. Nobody is talking about Sorokin’s series, where overall he played very well but he let in a bunch of soft goals that went overlooked. 

At the end of the day its still a team sport and Vasy’s struggles are also partly on his team. Wings need to block shots, D got to move screens. Its never just one guy’s fault.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, A.YOUNGoalie13 said:

Not sure who made that twitter post or who was talking in the video but if they aren’t goalies take it with many grains of salt. The biggest thing is many of these moves get overused. Sorokin ended his team’s season by going into the rvh when the guy was above the goal line on the boards. Its incorrect to use it in that situation. The overlap is for guys just above the goal line, but again goalies will use it at the wrong time and get burned.

Same with how Vasy looks over screens. I do it the same way as him but once the shot is taken I’m no longer looking over, now I’m battling to make a save. The only reason its getting so much attention is because of who it is.

Every NHL goalie uses a soft stance and probably overuses it too. They all sit in the rvh too long or go into it when they could just stand up. There are things they could all do to prevent more goals but their habits and comforts get in the way. Nobody is talking about Sorokin’s series, where overall he played very well but he let in a bunch of soft goals that went overlooked. 

At the end of the day its still a team sport and Vasy’s struggles are also partly on his team. Wings need to block shots, D got to move screens. Its never just one guy’s fault.

absolutely agree