Mask Weight

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 8 months later...

Thanks for doing the calculation.  Now I am feeling skeptical about getting the all kevlar mask from Protechsport....which is apparently light.  I REALLY want to get something that will be the best to protect my head from another concussion....

Help...

13 hours ago, OceanMon said:

Thanks for doing the calculation.  Now I am feeling skeptical about getting the all kevlar mask from Protechsport....which is apparently light.  I REALLY want to get something that will be the best to protect my head from another concussion....

Help...

Masks are complicated in this fashion. Generally speaking weight and protection can battle each other here. Sometimes when a lighter material is used, it can compromise protection. Unfortunately, without testing each and every model, I cannot say which masks have the proper combination of lightweight and ample safety.

I do believe though, a full kevlar mask is not an ideal construction. Maybe @Don Straus could come on with a more technical response?

• 1 month later...

I know it's been asked before, and Michel has it listed on the website, but for anyone who owns a Protechsport, how much does it weigh? I'm just curious if the weight difference between the full kevlar and full fiberglass is really 0.8lbs and whether anyone who has tried both has noticed much of a difference?

1 hour ago, TitanG said:

I know it's been asked before, and Michel has it listed on the website, but for anyone who owns a Protechsport, how much does it weigh? I'm just curious if the weight difference between the full kevlar and full fiberglass is really 0.8lbs and whether anyone who has tried both has noticed much of a difference?

I have the full kevlar and the Fibreglass and Kevlar mix (not full Fibreglass) and while i haven't weighed to check the actual difference in weight, its not noticable on the ice.

Reflecting on this subject, is it possible that we are neglecting the cage factor?

For example: is there a difference in weight between a strait bar versus a cat-eye cage? Are there different types of metals used by different manufacturers? What of the bars shape and thickness? What of the "short" cage vs "long" cage options a few offer?

I might be missing more questions but I do feel that these should be taken into account.

On 4/29/2020 at 8:52 AM, RichMan said:

Reflecting on this subject, is it possible that we are neglecting the cage factor?

For example: is there a difference in weight between a strait bar versus a cat-eye cage? Are there different types of metals used by different manufacturers? What of the bars shape and thickness? What of the "short" cage vs "long" cage options a few offer?

I might be missing more questions but I do feel that these should be taken into account.

It is pretty insignificant, IMO.

I just put 25 cages on my kitchen scale. I'll admit, the cage variety isn't great. I did observe a 112 gram difference between the lightest cage I have versus the heaviest. The lightest cage was an old Olie cat eye. They have thin perimeter bars and are a relatively small cage. It was 232 grams. The heaviest was a cat eye that was on my CCM mask. It was actually a Bauer cage, I can't remember which one it was that fit on the CCM, but I'm leaning towards it being a profile cage rather than the NME. Anyway, it weighed 344 grams.

The majority of the certified cages were in the 260-290 gram range.

Comparing cages from a specific brand, I have three certified Sportmask cages (282, 289, and 293 grams). Powder coated Ricochet cat eye was 341 grams. Pro3i flat bar cat eye was 329 grams. Powdercoated Ricochet cheater was 342 grams.

17 hours ago, StevenC said:

I have the full kevlar and the Fibreglass and Kevlar mix (not full Fibreglass) and while i haven't weighed to check the actual difference in weight, its not noticable on the ice.

Thanks, much appreciated!

Wow, this thread has some interesting numbers, for sure.  I have an older Eddy GT II, with cheater cage and Bauer plastic dangler attached, I get 3.2 pounds.  I did re-pad the inside with the EcoPro foam.  Includes chin cup, too. 

47 minutes ago, TDS-MN said:

Wow, this thread has some interesting numbers, for sure.  I have an older Eddy GT II, with cheater cage and Bauer plastic dangler attached, I get 3.2 pounds.  I did re-pad the inside with the EcoPro foam.  Includes chin cup, too. 

My old GT II came in at 3.1 with a cateye, all original padding and no dangler.

IMG_2550.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Very interesting!

I am refurbishing a 960XPM M/L right now. I weighed the shell without hardware, sanded and prepped for primer at 604g (1.33 lbs). I will weight the cat-eye cage and the complete once it is finished and has new foam installed.

I also happened to have an old 1997 Itech Profile 9000 shell handy. No hardware other than riveted harness snaps, but with paint that carbon shell weighs 382g (0.84 lbs). It's wonderfully thin and light. Quite stiff as well. I'd be interested to know what pushed Bauer away from that construction methodology (i.e. safety concern vs cost cutting).

I also have a medium Sportmask Pro 3i in production. I will weigh it when it arrives. From what @TheGoalNet posted earlier and what I've heard from others it should be in the 2.8-2.9 lbs range.

• 3 weeks later...

Mine is my own custom hand-lay that I made myself, that comes in at 2.0 lbs (~900 g). I could get it a bit lower with a titanium cage.

My construction is a full Intermediate modulus carbon fiber (Toray T800) construction, with Innegra reinforcement, with variable shell thickness with increased composite layers in the forehead and chin to ensure increased stiffness where it's most critical. Padding is 10mm D3O in the forehead, cheeks, chin (behind sling), and Poron microcellular in other areas.

IMG_1002.jpg

IMG_1005.jpg

IMG_1010.jpg

25 minutes ago, SMeagher said:

Mine is my own custom hand-lay that I made myself, that comes in at 2.0 lbs (~900 g). I could get it a bit lower with a titanium cage.

My construction is a full Intermediate modulus carbon fiber (Toray T800) construction, with Innegra reinforcement, with variable shell thickness with increased composite layers in the forehead and chin to ensure increased stiffness where it's most critical. Padding is 10mm D3O in the forehead, cheeks, chin (behind sling), and Poron microcellular in other areas.

IMG_1002.jpg

IMG_1005.jpg

IMG_1010.jpg

Sweet mask! 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So realized I had a bent cage the other day and needed a new one... and thought I'd post on Cage Weights here as well. All fit Bauer NME VTX.

From Left to Right: Non-Bauer Full Stainless painted White, Bauer Hybrid (Aluminum Core) painted White, Bauer Titanium

Obviously gets lighter as you move down the line with Ti being crazy light.

Cage_Weight_Metric.thumb.jpg.7a4ba609c1b7bb45ac4e20e4fbe128ad.jpg

Cage_Weight_Eng.thumb.jpg.ace65cf1dd408292beeb10a2b0278623.jpg

Only notable difference between the masks besides materials is how the Non-Bauer has welded top corners while Bauer branded are single piece of material that for the entire perimeter with a bend at those same corners.

Side_by_Side.thumb.JPEG.af16df476338a46f65dda661671cf210.JPEG

Archived