Hockey Chat Thread

SaveByRichter35

Honestly, it was a 3-1 game. My kid's team won only one game all season; they weren't expected to win more than that. Most games they had 10 skaters. Line changes were easy. You kid is playing half the game regardless. As a parent - you take the losses - but know your kid is on the ice half of every game and getting better all year. 

The weekend road trips were worth it as your kid plays - a lot.

My son is 6'3" and around 220. He's a punishing defenseman. His whole team plays really physical. There's been a few games I make sure to walk out of the rink next to my kid as the opposing parents were all really sad he put most of their kids through the boards.

Parents are clowns and would say things to him. He doesn't need that.

He plays really clean too. Even on the sheet above, his penalty (#17) was at the end of the game for roughing. Was after he ran over a kid legally and another player came up to him running his mouth. My son pushed the teammate away and they gave him roughing for that. 

3 minutes ago, MTH said:

My son is 6'3" and around 220. He's a punishing defenseman. His whole team plays really physical. There's been a few games I make sure to walk out of the rink next to my kid as the opposing parents were all really sad he put most of their kids through the boards.

And he's under 16? Jesus.

Reminds me of my last ever game of box lacrosse. Close to the same age and there was a kid that resembled your son. 

Was running late hits all game and was never being called for it. Obviously with such a size disparity at that age, those late hits were getting our team and parents livid. 

After the second time he run me down, I took it into my own hands and, to the best of my ability, fought the kid. 

I ended up getting suspended by my own organization for half of the next season, so that essentially killed any desire to continue playing lacrosse. 

Still worth it. 

It happens. Box is pretty rough. I watch the pro teams practice all the time. The new pro league (PBLA) was having tryouts in the Wings practice facility for the Trenton Terrors. Watching all these lumberjack looking Canadian guys beat the hell out of each other for some type of pro spot was nuts. I was talking to the guys there trying out while watching. Unreal. 

Sweatpants, flannels and workboots a plenty.

Sadly this new league just suspended play (ran out of money).

---------

Most games my kid check a kid or two in the first shift. By the end of the 1st period the opposing players stop trying to skate around him and just go to a dump and chase.

Unfortunately he has picked up a bad habit from that though. He'll let the opposing player get to the puck first with the intention of slamming them into the wall.

I'm constantly telling him to play hockey and go for the puck to start a break out. Letting the other team get the puck isn't the right thing. There are too many times plays in their end happen because they got to the puck first.

17 minutes ago, MTH said:

Unfortunately he has picked up a bad habit from that though. He'll let the opposing player get to the puck first with the intention of slamming them into the wall.

I'm constantly telling him to play hockey and go for the puck to start a break out. Letting the other team get the puck isn't the right thing. There are too many times plays in their end happen because they got to the puck first.

I mean, even as a small defenceman myself, I used to this all the time. 😂

It's a hard habit to break with how salivatingly fun hitting is. 

• Like 1

I've come to the conclusion, in my middle-age, that I am not good at breakaways. I know what I'm supposed to do and even how to do it, yet I seem to have trouble doing it. It might also be me aging and my legs being tired and old, not allowing me to get low enough. I also have zero flexibility. I get beat in all sorts of ways on breakaways, dekes, shots, high, low, next to me, under me. Basically, I need good defense all the time, so I'm f'd, basically. This is just a random post not necessarily looking for advice.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WillyGrips13 said:

I've come to the conclusion, in my middle-age, that I am not good at breakaways. I know what I'm supposed to do and even how to do it, yet I seem to have trouble doing it. It might also be me aging and my legs being tired and old, not allowing me to get low enough. I also have zero flexibility. I get beat in all sorts of ways on breakaways, dekes, shots, high, low, next to me, under me. Basically, I need good defense all the time, so I'm f'd, basically. This is just a random post not necessarily looking for advice.

Since you're not looking for advice, can we just make fun of you instead? 😉

• Haha 2

Jack Campbell made a skate save in OT today. Granted it was not in the way we would have seen it historically. He was blocking the goal line  with his right knee down and his left skate turned out. He successfully repelled multiple jam-in attempts with his skate before the puck bounced up and he gloved it. Of course, I can't find a picture of it anywhere.

He plays like a '90s or early '00s goalie. Or a beer leaguer. Not sure if he's elite enough to win a cup, though.

2 hours ago, WillyGrips13 said:

Jack Campbell made a skate save in OT today. Granted it was not in the way we would have seen it historically. He was blocking the goal line  with his right knee down and his left skate turned out. He successfully repelled multiple jam-in attempts with his skate before the puck bounced up and he gloved it. Of course, I can't find a picture of it anywhere.

He plays like a '90s or early '00s goalie. Or a beer leaguer. Not sure if he's elite enough to win a cup, though.

Saw that save and thought it was nuts.   My wife's joke was that he looked like he was starring in Miracle.

In other NHL news, Stauber for the Hawks looks damn good.  They were buzzing tonight.  Kind of makes me wonder if Kane told them he'd decided to move on.  

27 minutes ago, Puckstopper said:

Saw that save and thought it was nuts.   My wife's joke was that he looked like he was starring in Miracle.

In other NHL news, Stauber for the Hawks looks damn good.  They were buzzing tonight.  Kind of makes me wonder if Kane told them he'd decided to move on.  

Finally captured a few pics of it.

IMG_0681.thumb.jpeg.27d01571c40dbd2f23bc7eb2cc3e15b8.jpegIMG_0682.thumb.jpeg.deb4aa86989dcab6c243522ff5fe654a.jpeg

• Like 1

On 2/17/2023 at 9:37 PM, WillyGrips13 said:

I hear you. I joke that I'm like a train. Once I get moving, it's not stopping and going the other way.

Poke checks are the equalizer for old goalies. Being aggressive instead of trying to react helps too. F it, I'm not staying with dekes anyway. 

Years ago in an over 40 league I was playing in - they made a new rule that all penalties would be penalty shots. I quit that year.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, WillyGrips13 said:

So with Jonathan Quick going to Vegas, he will go from silver to gold. I look forward to what his set up will look like. Unless, he says F it and up and retires. 

BTW, why does this place seem dead recently? You people actually have lives? WTF?

As someone who works at a hockey shop the younger kids don’t care nearly as much about how a pad works or what changed they just care what name is on the front and who wears it

2 hours ago, ThatCarGuy said:

As someone who works at a hockey shop the younger kids don’t care nearly as much about how a pad works or what changed they just care what name is on the front and who wears it

Hasn't that been always the way? Atleast I remember from 90's when I was a kid. We had brands like Koho and Cooper, Pallas and what else and that was what we wanted to use and wear.

These days my friends who have their kid playing hockey and especially goalie they are very keen to use CCM and Bauer despite the catchers are never soft enough to even close and some other problems with gear not fitting them. Warrior is a possibility because in Finnish Liiga there are several good goalies wearing Warrior gear.

Brians or Vaughn? No way unless the goalie himself wants to have something that a NHL goalie is using but very rare are those kids.

Edited by ArdeFIN
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, WillyGrips13 said:

So with Jonathan Quick going to Vegas, he will go from silver to gold. I look forward to what his set up will look like. Unless, he says F it and up and retires. 

BTW, why does this place seem dead recently? You people actually have lives? WTF?

Dude has a chance at another half decent run before his contract expires. Doubt he doesn't play. 

If he was still on Columbus, I bet he wouldn't have showed up. 

39 minutes ago, ArdeFIN said:

Hasn't that been always the way? Atleast I remember from 90's when I was a kid. We had brands like Koho and Cooper, Pallas and what else and that was what we wanted to use and wear.

These days my friends who have their kid playing hockey and especially goalie they are very keen to use CCM and Bauer despite the catchers are never soft enough to even close and some other problems with gear not fitting them. Warrior is a possibility because in Finnish Liiga there are several good goalies wearing Warrior gear.

Brians or Vaughn? No way unless the goalie himself wants to have something that a NHL goalie is using but very rare are those kids.

Yea, even on the GSBB days, it was always brand recognition over functionality. 

@WillyGrips13 These type of Bulletin Board forums are antiquated when it comes to the internet now a days. It's still my favourite type, but a lot of the younger generation stick with Instagram/Tik Tok. Even Facebook is becoming old news for gear discussion. 

It's an unfortunate side effect of how the internet evolves. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, WillyGrips13 said:

I hope he gets a set in at least before the seasons up. Give us that at least, then retire 🤣. Would like to see an all gold lid like with his LA throwback.

2 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Played against @Flyers27 tonight.

Digging your tan Vaughns man. 

Thanks man. Your Bauers looked pretty sharp, as did your game. Your were moving laterally really well, swallowing up everything. Some crazy bounces out there tonight for both sides, but you kept them in it.  I've been fighting the puck the last couple weeks and tonight was no different. 

You said you just moved into the area. There's some good pick up at that rink during spring/summer. If you want to get onto the whatsapp group (if your not on it already), pm me, they're always looking for goalies 

Edited by Flyers27
  • Like 1

On 3/3/2023 at 11:38 AM, coopaloop1234 said:

Yea, even on the GSBB days, it was always brand recognition over functionality. 

@WillyGrips13 These type of Bulletin Board forums are antiquated when it comes to the internet now a days. It's still my favourite type, but a lot of the younger generation stick with Instagram/Tik Tok. Even Facebook is becoming old news for gear discussion. 

It's an unfortunate side effect of how the internet evolves. 

I never even bothered to get into social media. This is about it for me.

Unfortunately my wife is all over it. 

• Like 2

On 3/5/2023 at 4:35 AM, GoalieInTheDesertYT said:

This happened last night, with 2 minutes left when we were up 9-5. Ref gave him a two minute penalty. While at the same time another team in the league is trying to suspend a player on my team for uploaded a selfie saying “its always a good day when you beat the Russians”.

Israel hockey is the worst sometimes 

Let me know when you hear about some kid from Texas playing in Israel. Supposedly he’s going to play there but he was barely good enough to survive on the junior team I was on