Hockey Chat Thread

SaveByRichter35

27 minutes ago, MTH said:

Men's league players are sensitive. I appreciate their effort to stop a shot. They're trying to help. Crap happens.

Usually they will ask me to yell at them if they're in my way. My response is always like 'you're never in my way'. I'll note that I'm 6'2" - so I can see over or around most people (there are some big bastids out there too). Also then I'll note that I have a lot of padding meant to stop pucks, so feel free to get out of the way. I don't mind.

Cries in 5'9".

I have more success looking through and around people's knees than I do trying to look over their shoulders.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Scythe said:

I don't mean to sound off like a dick or anything it's just frustrating. I echo what Matt said, I love it when they do try to help. When defense is played well it's a thing of beauty to watch. 

There's a huge difference in the level of play, too.  I normally play division 4 and I'll pick up games often in 6.  Huge difference in the caliber and awareness of D.  They can be pretty clueless about their positioning and goalie etiquette.  Even just little things like crowding happen way more at lower levels.  Last night I had to use my blocker to push a D out of my space.  He asked me about it and I said "If I drop into my butterfly and hit your skates, or, if I can't slide around because you're in my way, you're too close." 

This was like a revelation for him: "Oh, that makes sense."  Apparently no goalie has told him this before.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, seagoal said:

This was like a revelation for him: "Oh, that makes sense."  Apparently no goalie has told him this before.

My favourite is playing in lower divisions and having defense play pseudo goalie and getting in my way because they're not used to a goalie being mobile once down.

They get a lot of guys that once they're on their knees, even getting back up is a task.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

My favourite is playing in lower divisions and having defense play pseudo goalie and getting in my way because they're not used to a goalie being mobile once down.

They get a lot of guys that once they're on their knees, even getting back up is a task.

How old are you? Your day will come. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Scythe said:

I don't mean to sound off like a dick or anything it's just frustrating. I echo what Matt said, I love it when they do try to help. When defense is played well it's a thing of beauty to watch. 

Yeah I don't give my D a hard time about it because they usually apologize right afterwards. But I got annoyed at one dman for too much effort as he crashed into me on a sliding backcheck. Great effort, but it's just shinny dude.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FScHxmgray4&t=5m29s

And then my highlight blooper moment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FScHxmgray4&t=6m34s

Edited by KootenayKeeper
Fixed the 2nd link
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Yep. 

I had a guy in 40+ tell me I was good because I "moved on my knees like the pros."

Haha.   I wish. 

• Haha 3

On 3/14/2022 at 1:44 PM, seagoal said:

There's a huge difference in the level of play, too.  I normally play division 4 and I'll pick up games often in 6.  Huge difference in the caliber and awareness of D.  They can be pretty clueless about their positioning and goalie etiquette.  Even just little things like crowding happen way more at lower levels.  Last night I had to use my blocker to push a D out of my space.  He asked me about it and I said "If I drop into my butterfly and hit your skates, or, if I can't slide around because you're in my way, you're too close." 

I experience something similar. Being a stand up dinosaur and short, I have to play above the paint unless the play is down low. At this stage of things, I skate in a decent semi organized drop in with some good players and some not so good players. I cannot tell you how many times a D-man, however well intentioned, skates backwards into me. I sympathize because I think D is the hardest position but I just want to tell them if you arent going to step up and close the gap, just let the effing skater go by and let me try and deal with him. The mobile screen is PIA esp when he backs into you. Yes, even though I am short, I do have a big mouth and tell them to step up but it falls on deaf ears most of the time. Oh well.

Edited by Fullright
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/15/2022 at 6:12 PM, Fullright said:

... I just want to tell them if you arent going to step up and close the gap, just let the effing skater go by and let me try and deal with him. The mobile screen is PIA esp when he backs into you. Yes, even though I am short, I do have a big mouth and tell them to step up but it falls on deaf ears most of the time. Oh well.

👆 YES - this. Same brother, same. I hate to be that guy "coaching" in beer league but yeah - if they hit the circle and you don't start closing the gap GET. OUT. OF. THE. WAY... especially since I stretch out to 5'-4" at best with a full nights sleep.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MTH said:

Nothing worse than a short goalie, playing standup and running his mouth. 

Hold on - can be worse. If he's a wrong handed goober too. Catch with your left hand like a man!

LOL...awesome. Best thing I've heard in a few weeks.

I am pretty much of a disaster and misfit. 

• Like 3

I had a puck pop up on top of my net last night after a sliding blocker save.  I realized it immediately and there was a guy behind the net hacking away at it.  So I got as much of myself in the net as I could and I reached up with my blocker to try to prevent it from falling in the crease.  Got the whistle eventually.  Thankfully this does not happen very often.

Edited by seagoal

On Friday, I lost my virginity on the lacrosse goal. I finally got beat on it. Usually I just stay on my dinosaur feet and move to the other post and the puck hits me in the chest. No big deal with my outdated "technique" of staying on my feet. This time I got outsmarted.

A really good player was to my left in the corner with the puck and no one pressuring him (not a surprise) with another good player wide open between the rings in the slot. I was up against my left post (the way a dinosaur like me would be) expecting him to pass to the man in the slot. The skater with puck however began to skate to the back of the net where he had done the Gretzgy pass over the net 4 or 5 times. So I got low on my skates getting my head under the cross bar and expected the puck to come over the crossbar to the man in the slot. Instead, the SOB lacrossed my backside on my right and tucked the puck in the upper right corner. First time I've been beaten on it. Oh the humiliation and shame. The skater tapped my pads and smirked. (I had been kicking his backside all night). Of course with my previously noted big mouth, I congratulated him on a nice move and called him a donkey hole. His smirk turned into a laugh.

Edited by Fullright

1 hour ago, Fullright said:

On Friday, I lost my virginity on the lacrosse goal. I finally got beat on it. Usually I just stay on my dinosaur feet and move to the other post and the puck hits me in the chest. No big deal with my outdated "technique" of staying on my feet. This time I got outsmarted.

A really good player was to my left in the corner with the puck and no one pressuring him (not a surprise) with another good player wide open between the rings in the slot. I was up against my left post (the way a dinosaur like me would be) expecting him to pass to the man in the slot. The skater with puck however began to skate to the back of the net where he had done the Gretzgy pass over the net 4 or 5 times. So I got low on my skates getting my head under the cross bar and expected the puck to come over the crossbar to the man in the slot. Instead, the SOB lacrossed my backside on my right and tucked the puck in the upper right corner. First time I've been beaten on it. Oh the humiliation and shame. The skater tapped my pads and smirked. (I had been kicking his backside all night). Of course with my previously noted big mouth, I congratulated him on a nice move and called him a donkey hole. His smirk turned into a laugh.

Sounds like a world class dbag.

• Like 2

What do y'all think about Eve Gascon making her QMJHL debut? Yes, her team lost in OT, and her performance was statistically underwhelming (18 saves on 23 shots), but she kept Gatineau in the game for a long time. I watched the game, and what killed Gatineau was giving up too many penalties and their inability to clear their own zone. Rimouski had problems with going offside, but they were able to capitalize on Gatineau's miscues. 

On 3/20/2022 at 4:04 PM, Fullright said:

I was beaten by a fake Michigan. The guy I was supposed to watch out for pretended to pick up the puck. He acted like he had it on his stick, but he didn’t, as his winger picked up an easy back door goal. 🤬

• Sad 1

It's all good. The scorer is young enough to be my son or I am old enough to be his dad. 

What can you do? The young players have great skill and I can cling to the notion that the Michigan on bunny and the lacrosse on me are nothing more than hot dog moves together with "back in my day, someone would have knocked him into the parking lot". But skills are skills. However, this was the first time he and I skated together so now that I know what to look for, he wont beat me with it again. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, ilyazhito said:

What do y'all think about Eve Gascon making her QMJHL debut? Yes, her team lost in OT, and her performance was statistically underwhelming (18 saves on 23 shots), but she kept Gatineau in the game for a long time. I watched the game, and what killed Gatineau was giving up too many penalties and their inability to clear their own zone. Rimouski had problems with going offside, but they were able to capitalize on Gatineau's miscues. 

I dont have a problem with it. If she can play, she can play. Things get worked out over time so we'll see.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fullright said:

It's all good. The scorer is young enough to be my son or I am old enough to be his dad. 

What can you do? The young players have great skill and I can cling to the notion that the Michigan on bunny and the lacrosse on me are nothing more than hot dog moves together with "back in my day, someone would have knocked him into the parking lot". But skills are skills. However, this was the first time he and I skated together so now that I know what to look for, he wont beat me with it again. 

In the end, we have to remember that slap shots were once banned (with the exception of black hockey) and were once seen as hot dog moves. 

• Like 1