Bauer Gear

TheGoalNet

37 minutes ago, jayluv54 said:

I can tell you that I've demo'd both the 1s and 1x and yes, the strapping was improved on the 1x, however I find little difference other than that between the 2 pads.  Now, in fairness I have not had a chance to use either pad fully broken in, but my initial impression is that Bauer made 2 nearly identical pads and put 2 different names on them.  The 1x might be slightly softer in the boot, but that's about it.  I don't really understand it and am pretty disappointed that Bauer no longer has a traditional style pad offering.  In my opinion, the 1x in no way competes with the Eflex III, which is now one of the most popular pads out there.  I have been a loyal Bauer guy for a long time and have truly preferred their goalie products over all others I've tried, but once my Reactor 9000's are done, I will likely be in my first Vaughn or CCM set.

The 1X is softer in the top break and has a different boot angle. You can order the same type of boot stiffnees on the 1S.

To me the 1X is a 1S.5 while being slightly softer and more curved. A few goalies who have worn reactor or traditional Vaughn pads switch to the 1X this year and did quite well. Markstrom, Khudobin and Ward.

2 hours ago, jayluv54 said:

I can tell you that I've demo'd both the 1s and 1x and yes, the strapping was improved on the 1x, however I find little difference other than that between the 2 pads.  Now, in fairness I have not had a chance to use either pad fully broken in, but my initial impression is that Bauer made 2 nearly identical pads and put 2 different names on them.  The 1x might be slightly softer in the boot, but that's about it.  I don't really understand it and am pretty disappointed that Bauer no longer has a traditional style pad offering.  In my opinion, the 1x in no way competes with the Eflex III, which is now one of the most popular pads out there.  I have been a loyal Bauer guy for a long time and have truly preferred their goalie products over all others I've tried, but once my Reactor 9000's are done, I will likely be in my first Vaughn or CCM set.

I have not tried the 1X yet. 1X will also have a double break vs single break in 1S. If I were to stick with Bauer, I think the next gen Supreme will be exactly what I want. 

It's a weird boat... I think Bauer is pushing the issue of a modern pad and I respect that. As we all know, Knee rolls are pointless now and it's kinda silly that Leferve was integral in trying to kill the knee rolls and is reviving them with EF3. If it was not for a Price endorsement, that pad would not exist.  

I understand that Bauer is loosing part of the market by killing the Reactor line, but I think they are okay being full steam ahead as a tech leader. I think they will leave that niche to goalie specific companies that specialize on customization. Brian's Heritage line is solid and that will pick up a nice audience. Everyone can get the pad they want, but not every company is focused on being everything to everyone. 

Look at it from a marketing standpoint. Was Bauer more represented in CHL, NCAA, and Pros with NXG / Reactor combo or 1S / 1X? 

17 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

I have not tried the 1X yet. 1X will also have a double break vs single break in 1S. If I were to stick with Bauer, I think the next gen Supreme will be exactly what I want. 

It's a weird boat... I think Bauer is pushing the issue of a modern pad and I respect that. As we all know, Knee rolls are pointless now and it's kinda silly that Leferve was integral in trying to kill the knee rolls and is reviving them with EF3. If it was not for a Price endorsement, that pad would not exist.  

I understand that Bauer is loosing part of the market by killing the Reactor line, but I think they are okay being full steam ahead as a tech leader. I think they will leave that niche to goalie specific companies that specialize on customization. Brian's Heritage line is solid and that will pick up a nice audience. Everyone can get the pad they want, but not every company is focused on being everything to everyone. 

Look at it from a marketing standpoint. Was Bauer more represented in CHL, NCAA, and Pros with NXG / Reactor combo or 1S / 1X? 

I get Bauer's angle, I just think they missed the mark with the 1x.  It's just not the pad they are marketing it to be in terms of flexibility.  There is still a huge market for goalies that want a traditional/flexible pad over a stiff pad, if that means knee rolls for aesthetic purposes, then so be it.  Just looking at PadsTracker(NHL/AHL) from last season, there were 26 goalies wearing Eflex's and 24 wearing some version of a Velocity pad, plus Budaj still in Reactor's.  Thats 51 out of 95 goalies on the list wearing a traditional style pad.  From a representation standpoint, Bauer had 13 in the 1s/1x lines.  By comparison, in 2014-2015 they had 11 in Total Ones/Reactors.  Not a huge improvement there.  I don't know about CHL or any lower level leagues, but I know NCAA teams typically get one set of pads per goalie for the season and it will be with whatever company has a contract to supply the school.  So even if Bauer is heavily represented there, it may not be the goalies choice.

2 hours ago, Hills said:

The 1X is softer in the top break and has a different boot angle. You can order the same type of boot stiffnees on the 1S.

To me the 1X is a 1S.5 while being slightly softer and more curved. A few goalies who have worn reactor or traditional Vaughn pads switch to the 1X this year and did quite well. Markstrom, Khudobin and Ward.

I was curious about that and if they had some kind of custom options.  Especially Ward, he'd been in Vaughn's for so long

45 minutes ago, jayluv54 said:

I get Bauer's angle, I just think they missed the mark with the 1x.  It's just not the pad they are marketing it to be in terms of flexibility.  There is still a huge market for goalies that want a traditional/flexible pad over a stiff pad, if that means knee rolls for aesthetic purposes, then so be it.  Just looking at PadsTracker(NHL/AHL) from last season, there were 26 goalies wearing Eflex's and 24 wearing some version of a Velocity pad, plus Budaj still in Reactor's.  Thats 51 out of 95 goalies on the list wearing a traditional style pad.  From a representation standpoint, Bauer had 13 in the 1s/1x lines.  By comparison, in 2014-2015 they had 11 in Total Ones/Reactors.  Not a huge improvement there.  I don't know about CHL or any lower level leagues, but I know NCAA teams typically get one set of pads per goalie for the season and it will be with whatever company has a contract to supply the school.  So even if Bauer is heavily represented there, it may not be the goalies choice.

I don't have numbers, but there are definitely way more Bauer in CHL and NCAA than ever before. Bauer is blitzing the kids with hopes that guys who make the NHL stick their gear. Each NCAA team has a different goalie program. At some schools, the goalies can wear whatever. At others, the starter can get whatever and the back ups have to wear gear from the sponsorship. 

One of the reasons that EF3 is so popular in the NHL is that it's a modern take on a traditional pad. It's less of a departure for a guy to wear an EF3 than a 1S. It doesn't mean that Bauer won't grow like a weed in the long term. 

I hope this is not coming off a Bauer fan boy because I am not. I think the 1S has some major flaws. I just think Bauer is doing an amazing job with pushing the limits of what's possible right now and it's paying off. From a marketing a long term approach, I think they did the right thing ditching the traditional pad, but I get that it's only my opinion. 

I also agree that 1S and 1X should have more differentiation. I bet the lines will evolve over time. I also know that more custom options are slated for retail which will help people dial in the pads more as well. 

Funny thing is I'm probably more of a Bauer fanboy and it sounds like I'm bashing them.  My last 5 sets of pads and the only skates I will wear are Bauer.  People say a blocker is a blocker, but for me a blocker is only a blocker if it says Bauer on it.  I guess that's why I'm so bitter about it, I am very particular about my pads and how they feel and I've only achieved that feel with Bauer.  Over the last 7 years or so, I've tried Warrior, Reebok/CCM, Vaughn, Simmons....but, I always end up back in Bauer gear.  I was really looking forward to the 1X but was seriously disappointed.  Maybe the next version will have some different options, but right now, I'm just not sold on the "modern" pad. 

41 minutes ago, jayluv54 said:

Funny thing is I'm probably more of a Bauer fanboy and it sounds like I'm bashing them.  My last 5 sets of pads and the only skates I will wear are Bauer.  People say a blocker is a blocker, but for me a blocker is only a blocker if it says Bauer on it.  I guess that's why I'm so bitter about it, I am very particular about my pads and how they feel and I've only achieved that feel with Bauer.  Over the last 7 years or so, I've tried Warrior, Reebok/CCM, Vaughn, Simmons....but, I always end up back in Bauer gear.  I was really looking forward to the 1X but was seriously disappointed.  Maybe the next version will have some different options, but right now, I'm just not sold on the "modern" pad. 

1S blocker is probably the best part about the supreme line. That is definitely not just a blocker.  

Any chance you can get some measurements for me?  toe to ankle break? ankle break to below knee break?  below knee break to the top?

Also what's your Floor to Knee measurement?

Saw a set of Mediums online i might give a go if they aren't too far off from my P4s.

Thanks!

Edited by slade037

7 hours ago, slade037 said:

Any chance you can get some measurements for me?  toe to ankle break? ankle break to below knee break?  below knee break to the top?

Also what's your Floor to Knee measurement?

Saw a set of Mediums online i might give a go if they aren't too far off from my P4s.

Thanks!

Measuring ATK from ankle up, im 18.5" 

i wear a size 10 skate 

If I were buying at retail, I would do an L. The medium is better than XL, but my knee hits the top of the block. 

There is no way to wear a 1S tightly and that's why I suggest sizing down. In the XL, my knee would hit the block and then slide off the bottom on quick moving plays 

what size are your p4s? Strap them loose or tight?

1 hour ago, TheGoalNet said:

Measuring ATK from ankle up, im 18.5" 

i wear a size 10 skate 

If I were buying at retail, I would do an L. The medium is better than XL, but my knee hits the top of the block. 

There is no way to wear a 1S tightly and that's why I suggest sizing down. In the XL, my knee would hit the block and then slide off the bottom on quick moving plays 

what size are your p4s? Strap them loose or tight?

I wear 33+2 P4s and I have the leather straps pretty loose.  Just the velcro knee wrap pretty tight.  My ATK is around 16.5 and wear size 8 skates.  

6 minutes ago, slade037 said:

I wear 33+2 P4s and I have the leather straps pretty loose.  Just the velcro knee wrap pretty tight.  My ATK is around 16.5 and wear size 8 skates.  

I'd say too big for you. The one thing going for your favor is being used to a  loose pad

Any chance you can check them out at a local store? 

@djtendy - any feedback after testing the EF3 today? 

I mentioned this in the 2017-18 gear sightings thread, but I am not really a fan of the new Bauer 961 XPM cage as I much preferred the original 961 cage. The new XPM cage has a tighter arc for the cateyes whereas the original was more of a softer curve. I mean most companies use the style of the original 961 cage and the new XPM just seems cheap looking (the CE certification tags don't help either). Here are some comparison shots (one from KVG, his on the left is the XPM and Andersen's on the right is the original 961 cage but on the XPM mask):

Bauer961vs961XPM.jpg.08a9e8ea4ca41f4ee9473dcaed9680c6.jpg

Edited by TitanG
Added info

On 7/21/2017 at 0:30 AM, TitanG said:

I mentioned this in the 2017-18 gear sightings thread, but I am not really a fan of the new Bauer 961 XPM cage as I much preferred the original 961 cage. The new XPM cage has a tighter arc for the cateyes whereas the original was more of a softer curve. I mean most companies use the style of the original 961 cage and the new XPM just seems cheap looking (the CE certification tags don't help either). Here are some comparison shots (one from KVG, his on the left is the XPM and Andersen's on the right is the original 961 cage but on the XPM mask):

I see it much clearer in this post 

• 2 weeks later...

On another mask note with the original Bauer 961 vs 961 XPM, appears that the pro XPM fits differently than the pro 961.

Here is the original 961 on Lundqvist. You can see it sits about halfway up his eyebrow level and halfway down his mouth:

LundqvistPrior.thumb.jpg.ffc3297adbc83edd6a562e7e84ef1eaf.jpgit

Now with the new XPM, it appears to cover his entire eyebrow line and expose his entire mouth:

Lundqvist2017.thumb.jpg.a20457c094247e46eb3165376da203fd.jpg

Also you can see that the ear holes on the pro XPM match the retail whereas most of the original pro 961's had ear holes closer together than the retail version (always wondered why it wasn't homogeneous).

Maybe I'm just crazy and obviously these are minute differences, but I like pointing them out in hopes of someone else pointing something else out or sharing some other new-to-me info.

On 7/31/2017 at 9:30 PM, TitanG said:

On another mask note with the original Bauer 961 vs 961 XPM, appears that the pro XPM fits differently than the pro 961.

Here is the original 961 on Lundqvist. You can see it sits about halfway up his eyebrow level and halfway down his mouth:

Now with the new XPM, it appears to cover his entire eyebrow line and expose his entire mouth:

Also you can see that the ear holes on the pro XPM match the retail whereas most of the original pro 961's had ear holes closer together than the retail version (always wondered why it wasn't homogeneous).

Maybe I'm just crazy and obviously these are minute differences, but I like pointing them out in hopes of someone else pointing something else out or sharing some other new-to-me info.

After studying this, I agree they opened up the eyes more 

14 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

I just wore the 1X. The pad itself feels no different than a 1S. The strapping and leg channel are a huge upgrade. 

IMO, it's basically 1pad with 2 fits... Loose & tight 

The thighs are softer on the 1X compared to the 1S, I did a side by side to make sure if I wanted 1S stiffness.

1 hour ago, Hills said:

The thighs are softer on the 1X compared to the 1S, I did a side by side to make sure if I wanted 1S stiffness.

Correct. However, in actually wearing them both, I really didn't notice the different that much. It felt like 1S with a different leg channel on the ice. 

With that said, I wore the 1X for 30 mins and I have lots of ice time with the 1S. Without a larger sample size, it's tough to tell if I would notice the flexibility.  

For anyone who is reading this and has not seen 1X upclose, 1X is nothing like a Gnetik or Velo in terms of flexibility. Please don't think that's what "more flexible" than 1S means 

On 8/2/2017 at 8:15 AM, TheGoalNet said:

For anyone who is reading this and has not seen 1X upclose, 1X is nothing like a Gnetik or Velo in terms of flexibility. Please don't think that's what "more flexible" than 1S means 

It would probably be closer to a GT if you wanted to take a direct comparison.

Though, both are still more akin to the stiff side of the pad spectrum than the Gn3tik's and Velo's.

11 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

It would probably be closer to a GT if you wanted to take a direct comparison.

Though, both are still more akin to the stiff side of the pad spectrum than the Gn3tik's and Velo's.

Yes, that my point. I don't want people who have seen a Velo and not seen 1X to think... This is Bauer's soft pad, must be like a Velo and order them online 

• Like 1

Is there a material difference between Poron XRD and simply XRD foam (other than marketing)?

When Bauer originally came out with the RE-AKT player helmet, they advertised (and still do) that it contained Poron XRD foam. But in the more recent RE-AKT 200 player helmet and the 960 XPM mask, they both advertise XRD foam, excluding the Poron name. To me, it seems like XRD foam is just a type of memory foam similar to the original 960 VN foam, and not so dense as the yellow Poron XRD or Flexorb foams.

Yeesh, marketing makes this so confusing...

15 hours ago, TitanG said:

Is there a material difference between Poron XRD and simply XRD foam (other than marketing)?

When Bauer originally came out with the RE-AKT player helmet, they advertised (and still do) that it contained Poron XRD foam. But in the more recent RE-AKT 200 player helmet and the 960 XPM mask, they both advertise XRD foam, excluding the Poron name. To me, it seems like XRD foam is just a type of memory foam similar to the original 960 VN foam, and not so dense as the yellow Poron XRD or Flexorb foams.

Yeesh, marketing makes this so confusing...

Me thinks there was a departure from the Poron name. They aren't paying to license that name, it sounds. 

13 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

Me thinks there was a departure from the Poron name. They aren't paying to license that name, it sounds. 

I looked up the Poron XRD website and it's now simply XRD so it could be rebranding from them. It still sort of seems like a different foam since the yellow Poron XRD in the player helmets looks injection molded and has a smooth surface (I think it was because it is open cell foam and would absorb more sweat otherwise) whereas the XRD in the mask looks like a traditional foam. It could all just be appearance and truly be the same, though.

Edited by TitanG
Added info

34 minutes ago, TitanG said:

I looked up the Poron XRD website and it's now simply XRD so it could be rebranding from them. It still sort of seems like a different foam since the yellow Poron XRD in the player helmets looks injection molded and has a smooth surface (I think it was because it is open cell foam and would absorb more sweat otherwise) whereas the XRD in the mask looks like a traditional foam. It could all just be appearance and truly be the same, though.

I know you could not tell Poron you were using their foam for hockey as they would not sell it to you.