Show off your Gear (Note: Any images posted here can be posted on @TheGoalNet Instagram)

Westcoast Tender

2 hours ago, BadAngle41 said:

Thanks for the kid words on the Passau C/A.

I love the CCM AB Pro... such a great piece of equipment. What are the secs on your Premier 1?

Thanks man! It looks great and I like it so much now that it has broken in a lot over the past 6 months or so. 

And I'm a fully grown but very small human (5ft5), so my pads are 30+2. They fit me perfectly! 

15 hours ago, stackem30 said:

That's fine, I still earn my quick whistles the old way: I determine which ref looks more submissive, and yell at them for not blowing the whistle sooner.

Have some pride, man.

Haha I was pretty surprised at the difference it makes. Admittedly I think it’s also making it difficult for me to find the puck down on the ice too so it’s a trade off. 

• Like 1

My last few sets were all colour based with Navy and Royal blues with some black and silver mixed in.  I have now switched to white base with black accents.  I find it easier to match with different gear/jerseys.  I just wore my new xlts for the first time last week and everybody just wanted to put Mark's on them.  Probably helped me make a few saves as they were trying to hit me! Lol

On 7/10/2018 at 8:13 PM, Awgoalie164 said:

How is the sliding?

Sliding is exceptional.  Compared to my prior set of Warrior Pro Ritual G2's it's night and day.  In fact, I'm having to adjust my slides and pushes at times because I go too far.  But to be honest I would prefer that especially in circumstances where I have trouble effectively planting my skate for a push, or poor ice conditions (slushy ice, or snowy ice).  From what I've heard these Optik pads would compare very closely to how the new Bauer pads slide.  Without trying CCM Speedskin I can't confirm but I've heard that the Opliks are a little quicker.  

For me personally, as a new goalie (only 10 months in) the improved sliding has been a game changer for me.  I've been able to really increase my lateral speed.  Also the seal to the ice with the Optiks is very tight.  I'm not giving up as many 5-hole or under the pad goals.  I think that can be attributed to the stiffness of the pad.

On 7/12/2018 at 10:25 AM, Adam Cooper said:

Sliding is exceptional.  Compared to my prior set of Warrior Pro Ritual G2's it's night and day.  In fact, I'm having to adjust my slides and pushes at times because I go too far.  But to be honest I would prefer that especially in circumstances where I have trouble effectively planting my skate for a push, or poor ice conditions (slushy ice, or snowy ice).  From what I've heard these Optik pads would compare very closely to how the new Bauer pads slide.  Without trying CCM Speedskin I can't confirm but I've heard that the Opliks are a little quicker.  

For me personally, as a new goalie (only 10 months in) the improved sliding has been a game changer for me.  I've been able to really increase my lateral speed.  Also the seal to the ice with the Optiks is very tight.  I'm not giving up as many 5-hole or under the pad goals.  I think that can be attributed to the stiffness of the pad.

COTech, Speed Skin, and Opti-Slide are all lightning on clean ice. 

The biggest difference I find is that Brian’s is able to maintain their speed the best as the ice deteriorates 

Anyone used Optik and G4? I’d be curious about the comparison 

• Like 1

After being in Brian's for the 18 years I made the switch to Bauer for this season. Pads are stock Vapors that were only used for about 2 months. Gloves are Spencer Martin pro returns 2s. I don't know how long they were used for but judging by the use not very long. Glove closes really nice.

20180717_143748.jpg

• Like 1

I like how the Battram logos are ghosted out on those retro pads. On the right pad, you can't even see the logo. Once your left pad gets more puck marks, to cover up the logo, these will be perfect. Normally I love seeing the logos, but on a retro-looking set like these, a ghosted logo fits it perfectly in my opinion. Great grab! 

Edited by creasecollector

16 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

I went around extolling the virtues of the CR1 last month, and then I tried the 2S Pro.

I'm a believer.

image.thumb.png.e67c92c805c839e7468db5873a28f96d.png

So what's your take on them, how do they compare to the CR1? Reason I ask is I have the option to pick ether a 2s pro or a CR1 for a really good price.

While we at it these are my latest purchase. Bauer Vapor 1x large pads and Bauer 2s pro return gloves from  Spencer Martin San Antonio/Colorado Avalanche 

20180717_143749.jpg

Edited by Snowman30

36 minutes ago, Adam Cooper said:

Yes, correct. I have not used a blocker like that before so curious how different it is for having control of puck direction and does it tend to pop up or drop down? Thanks

Got it

Well, although it looks like a ramp, the pucks aren't going to "ramp up" of the angle.  We tend to not hold our blockers parallel to the ice, they're generally perpendicular to the ice.  That said, the ramp will deflect the pucks down, not up.  So , if  the angle of the blocker is correct and you get used to intentional deflections with the use of the blocker, I'd suppose the angle does its job quite well.

Having said that, I'm not sure I remember ever using a flat blocker.  I'm a lifelong Vaughn user and have never used any other brand of gloves, pads, chesty, or pants.  Other stuff I have alternated with Bauer or Warrior for skates, masks, knee pads, etc. 

I have both this yellow 2000 blocker and a white 2200 blocker, and they are dramatically different in weight, feel, and liveliness. This 2000 took me a while to adjust to coming from the lighter, more nimble, responsive 2200, but now I like this one so much better.  I love how robust it feels.  It's a lot beefier and I've grown to prefer that over the 2200, for sure.  They both have the same angle or "ramp" so that's pretty consistent. 

6 hours ago, Snowman30 said:

So what's your take on them, how do they compare to the CR1? Reason I ask is I have the option to pick ether a 2s pro or a CR1 for a really good price.

While we at it these are my latest purchase. Bauer Vapor 1x large pads and Bauer 2s pro return gloves from  Spencer Martin San Antonio/Colorado Avalanche  

They are both good sticks and you can't go wrong either way.  I think it depends on what you are after.

Want curve selection and a stick that will last forever? Go Warrior. 

If you are a gearhead like me and like tech, the 2S Pro is the way to go.  It's the better performing stick. 
I do have concerns about durability because it's so light, but haven't experienced any issues yet.
I was initially reticent to try it because it's only available at retail in the P31 curve (yuck).  I've learned to love it, like Chinese dim sum.  Looks disgusting, tastes amazing.

It's significantly lighter - I handed the other goalie mine at the end of a skate and he told me to "let it go" thinking I was still gripping it.
The vibration/feedback from a shot hitting the heel or paddle is significantly less.  You feel it maybe a smidge more than a traditional foam core.
The flex is a bit whippier, which I like.

20 hours ago, Adam Cooper said:

Yes, correct. I have not used a blocker like that before so curious how different it is for having control of puck direction and does it tend to pop up or drop down? Thanks

When held perpendicular to the ice, a tilt in the board like that is designed to mitigate aerial angle of the puck and keep the puck from popping up and over (helps goalie maintain eyes on puck).  This is the main purpose.

If you are in good position with sufficient depth, you will rarely need to extend the blocker so the toe points to the boards (parallel to the ice)

Here's Greiss with a textbook example.

image.png.409f2429fed80593ee6b64c114b13d4a.png

• Like 1