Daily Chit-chat

seagoal

On 8/27/2021 at 4:12 PM, dretti33 said:

Better than the textbooks I have been reading for the past few weeks 😅

1. Textbooks? What decade is this? Do they still publish hard copies of books?

2. Two weeks of studying? Bad idea. Just the hours before an exam. 13 days of video games and just a few hours of cramming is all you need. Wing it like a pro. 

3. Don't listen to me. I graduated undergrad in just 6 years (3 different colleges and it was a 5 year degree). I also just graduated from grad school this past May. I started grad school in the fall of 2001. Yes, 2001 as in 9/11 happened in my first week of class.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, MTH said:

1. Textbooks? What decade is this? Do they still publish hard copies of books?

2. Two weeks of studying? Bad idea. Just the hours before an exam. 13 days of video games and just a few hours of cramming is all you need. Wing it like a pro. 

3. Don't listen to me. I graduated undergrad in just 6 years (3 different colleges and it was a 5 year degree). I also just graduated from grad school this past May. I started grad school in the fall of 2001. Yes, 2001 as in 9/11 happened in my first week of class.

Everyone goes at their own pace, but congrats for graduating from grad school! 

And yes for most classes they still have the physical textbooks because I can't be bothered to go online and skim through pages for hours on end. I'd much rather go through a physical copy.

I wish this exam was one I could cram for, I started studying since the end of my semester in April for this exam in mid-August. Medical School Admissions exams are a pain. I just went offline for my last 2 weeks of studying then gave myself a break from everything for some time after

With all this talk of every "major" brand offering some kind of snug fitting, hot rebound, stiff knee block (except Brian's and True) leg pad this year I'll be interested to see who remains loyal and who branches out to a new brand. I feel the glove will be the deciding factor even more so than usual for 2022. Every major brand also offers a hot rebound blocker with a comfy suede palm (excluding Warrior, Brian's, and True), mobile cuff, and good finger protection. Any thoughts or additions?

23 hours ago, ThatCarGuy said:

With all this talk of every "major" brand offering some kind of snug fitting, hot rebound, stiff knee block (except Brian's and True) leg pad this year I'll be interested to see who remains loyal and who branches out to a new brand. I feel the glove will be the deciding factor even more so than usual for 2022. Every major brand also offers a hot rebound blocker with a comfy suede palm (excluding Warrior, Brian's, and True), mobile cuff, and good finger protection. Any thoughts or additions?

Zooming out one level, it's interesting to see the designs start to homogenize around the above mentioned design principles.  Is this what design teams believe to be the future or is it in line with what the actual goalies want?  If the latter, is it coming from their pro clientele or retail customers?

Have we reached a point where gear decisions are going to be based on how the individual piece functions (ie. if I want the hottest rebounds with a one piece knee block I'm going Brand X)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

Zooming out one level, it's interesting to see the designs start to homogenize around the above mentioned design principles.  Is this what design teams believe to be the future or is it in line with what the actual goalies want?  If the latter, is it coming from their pro clientele or retail customers?

Have we reached a point where gear decisions are going to be based on how the individual piece functions (ie. if I want the hottest rebounds with a one piece knee block I'm going Brand X)

I think I've finally reached a point where I know what's comfortable for me and I see no reason to change. I've always been the type of person to try out different gear every 6-12 months (or more frequently), but every time I've tried something new for the past 2 years or so, I don't like the change. For me, Warrior pads just feel like an extension of my leg and I can't seem to play the puck as well with any other brand of trapper. 

• Like 1

I love it.

I got drafted to Team Green in my KHL 40+ division and our first game is tomorrow at the Kraken facility on Rink 1, beneath the offices of the owners, coaches, managers,  etc. 

How the heck am I supposed to impress Ron Francis looking like this??

christmas-elf-vector-id497055500.thumb.jpg.bf31be92f0aa020691a68921e2db85b0.jpg

Haha.  I could not be more excited.

Edited by seagoal
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, seagoal said:

I love it.

I got drafted to Team Green in my KHL 40+ division and our first game is tomorrow at the Kraken facility on Rink 1, beneath the offices of the owners, coaches, managers,  etc. 

How the heck am I supposed to impress Rob Francis looking like this??

christmas-elf-vector-id497055500.thumb.jpg.bf31be92f0aa020691a68921e2db85b0.jpg

Haha.  I could not be more excited.

Still a better colour scheme than the Kraken. ;)

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Sucks getting a brand new set that completely clashes with your team eh?

I get why people get white gear.

Maybe, yeah.  But this is a draft league.  Before you know it I'll be on White, Black, Red, Yellow, Gray, Royal Blue, Orange, or Green again.

5 minutes ago, estogoalie said:

What is a "draft league"? 

Shorter seasons and after each season the teams break up.  Captains then re-draft the teams all over again with the same pool of players in addition to any new players.  Sets of jerseys with just colors, captains keep their colors.  Keeps things fun and new and adds to good vibes and comraderie in the league.

Edited by seagoal

4 minutes ago, seagoal said:

Shorter seasons and after each season the teams break up.  Captains then re-draft the teams all over again with the same pool of players in addition to any new players.  Sets of jerseys with just colors, captains keep their colors.  Keeps things fun and new and adds to good vibes and comraderie in the league.

Ok. There's nothing like that in Switzerland.

Yea, you better just get white pads then. Or 10 different sets of colored pads could work too.  

11 minutes ago, estogoalie said:

Ok. There's nothing like that in Switzerland.

Yea, you better just get white pads then. Or 10 different sets of colored pads could work too.  

For this I don't care and nobody cares.  I'm considered really good in this division because I can butterfly.....haha.  In all seriousness, I call it "hockey good for the heart and soul." It's fun and competitive and I take it seriously (because I'm me) but at the end of the day nobody gets upset for losing and I try not to get too intense about it.  It's a notch or two below my main team (where my gear matches) so this league is a great opportunity for me to try things, take risks, and laugh at myself.  

There is a member on here who plays in it....he outted himself at a game once.  He's quiet on here though.  Really good guy.

I love it.

Edited by seagoal
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, seagoal said:

My dad's 35+ league was like that. Always found it to be a neat concept.

54 minutes ago, seagoal said:

More leagues should do this. But people get so competitive, the idea of not being able to stack their teams bothers them. It takes effort from the person or people running the league and often times they’re too lazy or busy to do it. 
The league I’m in now could use this format. But the league head is lazy and the captain of my team has too much sway and likes his built-in advantage. Plus, people who complain about other teams advantages often conveniently forget any that they may have. When you complain about other team’s ringers, that leaves you open to having your better players questioned. 
Draft league really would make everything more fun and interesting. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, WillyGrips13 said:

More leagues should do this. But people get so competitive, the idea of not being able to stack their teams bothers them. It takes effort from the person or people running the league and often times they’re too lazy or busy to do it. 
The league I’m in now could use this format. But the league head is lazy and the captain of my team has too much sway and likes his built-in advantage. Plus, people who complain about other teams advantages often conveniently forget any that they may have. When you complain about other team’s ringers, that leaves you open to having your better players questioned. 
Draft league really would make everything more fun and interesting. 

I hear you.  I will say one of the disadvantages of a draft league is that, while the format does do a good job of distributing skill and talent on paper, it creates trouble when the top guys don't show up.  Naturally, the draft snakes around through the teams.  So say the #1 rated guys get picked first by all teams, then #2 rated, #3, etc.  Unless the pool of players is deep enough to have a few rows of top guys, the top guys have a higher value on each team.  If your #1 is missing and your opponent's is there......it matters a lot.

With our move to the Kraken league, this division jumped from 6 to 8 teams.  Good news. But if the division didn't gain additional top rated players to make those 2 additional teams even on paper.... Bad news.

On a set team in whatever division, you can naturally just add more depth of scoring, defense, whatever.  In a draft league, the teams are by definition balanced on paper but it can create some depth issues on the ice if the top guys no-show games.