Warrior G6

coopaloop1234

On 1/7/2022 at 7:39 PM, insertnamehere said:

I like how in the movement on the September 30th tweet, the goalie's head is on the same level basically the whole time. Wish I was that consistent. 

Watched the same thing, but follow his hands too. Hands are at first really steady and ready. But in the end his hands are all over the place and nowhere near ready to catch anything. Ofcourse this sequence isn't what usually happens in games but a good example that it really is hard to repeat those simplish looking moves more than few times in a row.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
42 minutes ago, ThatCarGuy said:

As well as an interesting pic from GoalieGearNerd showing a different calf wrap

1604330121_Screenshot2022-02-151_00_05PM.png.edef49388c5abe074a119768bb7397a5.png

That looks more like the original flap has been released from the pad and is only attached with the calf strap going through it. Why would someon do that? 

I'd probably have to invest some € and get rid of my GT pads. Not that they don't perform but to update to the newer generation. G5 would go for my hobby but maybe the newest ones right away.

4 minutes ago, ArdeFIN said:

That looks more like the original flap has been released from the pad and is only attached with the calf strap going through it. Why would someon do that? 

I think that was on G5 as well. I was talking more about how short the wrap is. It doesn’t wrap around the skate like Jeremy Smith’s pad does. 

Edited by ThatCarGuy
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, ThatCarGuy said:

I think that was on G5 as well. I was talking more about how short the wrap is. It doesn’t wrap around the skate like Jeremy Smith’s pad does. 

Ah yes, now I see that too. Saw it first that it was only two colored but the black is actually the inside of the pads boot area. That style for the outer flap I would consider as all you need there to be. If you even do need any kind of flap on the outside of calf except for where you connect the straps.

Inside flap seems to be cut down too.

Atleast those won't get caught by your boots top edges, I do have that issue with my GT pads few times a season. Easy to sort out by lifting the pad but annoying as it happens.

Edited by ArdeFIN

• 1 month later...

Hey guys.  Usually all the new goalie gear comes out in April every year, but I guess COVID screwed up all the dates.

Are the G6's going to be released soon, or is everything pushed later, like July?

Also, anyone have any idea when the Bauer Konects skates are coming out?  Is it this year or next year?

5 hours ago, BonesDT said:

Hey guys.  Usually all the new goalie gear comes out in April every year, but I guess COVID screwed up all the dates.

Are the G6's going to be released soon, or is everything pushed later, like July?

Also, anyone have any idea when the Bauer Konects skates are coming out?  Is it this year or next year?

I've been told of the date custom orders will go live, but I'm not sure if it coincides with the retail launch date though. But it's soon. Unless it gets pushed. I know a launch from another manufacturer has been pushed already.

Bauer Konekt skates are this year.

10 hours ago, ZeroGravitas said:

I've been told of the date custom orders will go live, but I'm not sure if it coincides with the retail launch date though. But it's soon. Unless it gets pushed. I know a launch from another manufacturer has been pushed already.

Bauer Konekt skates are this year.

Good, I need to buy some of those slide plates!

1 hour ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Awesome, thank you.  Looking forward to them and will likely upgrade my extremely dated G3's

Ugh, I can't believe they are still pushing that CoverEdge B.S.  Drop it already, Warrior.  It was a bogus gimmick.  It got you something to say in 2020, time to move on with real innovation.

37 minutes ago, BonesDT said:

Awesome, thank you.  Looking forward to them and will likely upgrade my extremely dated G3's

Ugh, I can't believe they are still pushing that CoverEdge B.S.  Drop it already, Warrior.  It was a bogus gimmick.  It got you something to say in 2020, time to move on with real innovation.

Didn't you see? They added plastic to their knee wing. 

PLASTIC! 

Their innovations aren't exactly breaking the mold their last few releases. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

PLASTIC! 

7 hours ago, BonesDT said:

Ahahaha lol

The video in the last slide was pretty slick, but after looking at the changes, I can't but feel they spent more money on the video than on R&D in the goalie segment this year

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

Ahahaha lol

The video in the last slide was pretty slick, but after looking at the changes, I can't but feel they spent more money on the video than on R&D in the goalie segment this year

Last couple years really. Since the addition of Hypercomp, none of the changes they've done have been of any major substance. 

The sliding grooves they have have gone through a few changes and are almost a vestigial relic of a concept, like their post wedge. 

On 3/24/2022 at 1:50 PM, coopaloop1234 said:

PLASTIC! 

I am curious how long this will last in the real world usage ! ha !

On 3/24/2022 at 1:50 PM, coopaloop1234 said:

PLASTIC! 

It's a little disconcerting, but I'm not going to knock it until I try it.

Remember, that's the same attitude we had when they tried to replace real leather and horsehair.  Synthetic materials are better.

My beef is just with the CoverEdge.  It was never physically sound.  For the leg pads, they just added extra padding to the face of the pad, without doing anything special to the outer roll on the outer edge of the pad.  Therefore, it does nothing for surface area and just makes the pads bulkier, heavier, and IMO, uglier.  The catcher, they just added a pillow in front of the wrist.  I suppose if you had bad form, then this was a bandaid to fix it, but if you had good form, then this overcompensated and could decrease your performance.  And I'm still trying to figure out how flattening the blocker board REDUCED high pop-ups.  

5 minutes ago, BonesDT said:

Remember, that's the same attitude we had when they tried to replace real leather and horsehair.  Synthetic materials are better.

My beef is just with the CoverEdge.  It was never physically sound.  For the leg pads, they just added extra padding to the face of the pad, without doing anything special to the outer roll on the outer edge of the pad.  Therefore, it does nothing for surface area and just makes the pads bulkier, heavier, and IMO, uglier.  The catcher, they just added a pillow in front of the wrist.  I suppose if you had bad form, then this was a bandaid to fix it, but if you had good form, then this overcompensated and could decrease your performance.  And I'm still trying to figure out how flattening the blocker board REDUCED high pop-ups.  

What is the CoverEdge supposed to do? I hear all these crazy material names that aren't always self-explanatory, and so I dismiss them as marketing hype. 

1 hour ago, HellCrow said:

I am curious how long this will last in the real world usage ! ha !

11 minutes ago, BonesDT said:

Nah, I'm mostly just being an ass. It'll probably have some real tangible results, I'm just poking fun at how uninspired it comes across. 

"Hey Pete, we need something new for the first new release in two years, any ideas"

*gulps down a mouthful*

"uhh, I dunnnno...*hic*... fuck it, lesh put plashtic on it" 

5 minutes ago, ilyazhito said:

What is the CoverEdge supposed to do? I hear all these crazy material names that aren't always self-explanatory, and so I dismiss them as marketing hype. 

It's a gimmick where they've "pushed out" the top front of the gloves and pads to take away more room away from a pucks trajectory. 

So instead of a pad being like this: | 

It's more like: /

• Like 1

Just now, coopaloop1234 said:

It's a gimmick where they've "pushed out" the top front of the gloves and pads to take away more room away from a pucks trajectory. 

The theory is somewhat sound. If you had an imaginary blocker board that was a foot thick, it would be a foot closer to the puck which gives it less room to go around it and into the net, like how my defensemen always manage to hit the other team's forwards in the shins with their slapshots - not because the forwards' shin pads are very large, but because they are very close to where the puck is being shot from.

My issue with it is their implementation is so marginal that it won't realistically do anything for you, and is just marketing hype. If it saved you one or two goals over the entire life of the equipment, I'd be surprised.

6 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

If what you say is true, then that would be physically sound.

However, I do not think that's what the pads do.  They are slanted forward ("/") on the face of the pad only, but that slanting does not continue with the outer edge roll, so it's all a wash.  In other words, it looks something like this:

|

/

12 minutes ago, ilyazhito said:

Wow, you're saying that the pads are slanted when they are on the ice? I wonder how that affects proper pad rotation. 

They're the same as every other pad, they just have a bit more material on the outer edges of the pad to take away that space. 

Think of it as them strategically making their pads thicker in certain areas. 

8 minutes ago, Teezle said:

The theory is somewhat sound. If you had an imaginary blocker board that was a foot thick, it would be a foot closer to the puck which gives it less room to go around it and into the net, like how my defensemen always manage to hit the other team's forwards in the shins with their slapshots - not because the forwards' shin pads are very large, but because they are very close to where the puck is being shot from.

My issue with it is their implementation is so marginal that it won't realistically do anything for you, and is just marketing hype. If it saved you one or two goals over the entire life of the equipment, I'd be surprised.

I hear ya. The theory has some basis to it, but like you said, the end result is too marginal for it to be a real consideration when comparing pads. 

It reminds me of people complaining about blockers with binding compared to bindingless as it "took away" valuable blocking surface area. 

5 minutes ago, BonesDT said:

If what you say is true, then that would be physically sound.

However, I do not think that's what the pads do.  They are slanted forward ("/") on the face of the pad only, but that slanting does not continue with the outer edge roll, so it's all a wash.  In other words, it looks something like this:

|

I mean yea, it's just easier to convey the theory when you use examples that a bit more exaggerated. :P 

So got a chance to see the G6 and their glove options in person today. 

There's two blockers:

1. Removable palm, reduced finger protection size, and keeps the G5 shape. 

2. Sewn in palm, reduced finger protection, keeps the GT2 shape. 

There's two gloves and they both can some with sewn on or removable internals, and both have an increased pocket. 

Difference being the break options. You can get the standard ritual break (75) and warriors version of a 580 break which is more of an in between of 0580 and 590. 

Wasn't a fan, but it may sway a good amount of you guys. 

I also want to retract my guffaw for the leg pads. Seeing them in person has convinced me. 

First of all, plastic on the knee looks to be of high quality and may actually be a game changer. 

Second, these pads are stiff with the option of 5 different stifness levels. The ones I saw had zero bend horizontally or vertically. 

Toe bridge is standard 

The outer calf wrap has been moved to the outside of the pad, and there's now an inner leg channel that acts as an almost professor strap. 

The inner calf wrap now has two slits for tightness customization. 

Knee wing is still sewn in as per past models, but I've never found them to be too floppy. 

Gloves were an alright change, leg pads are very very nice. 

• Like 1

On 3/26/2022 at 3:00 PM, coopaloop1234 said:

There's two gloves and they both can some with sewn on or removable internals, and both have an increased pocket. 

Difference being the break options. You can get the standard ritual break (75) and warriors version of a 580 break which is more of an in between of 0580 and 590. 

This is really interesting to me - coming from a G4 but interested in looking at the G6 glove. Which is which for the break? i.e. is sewn in the 580ish?

1 hour ago, indykrap said:

This is really interesting to me - coming from a G4 but interested in looking at the G6 glove. Which is which for the break? i.e. is sewn in the 580ish?

So for the pair that I tried, the 580'esque break was sewn in, while the 75 was removable. 

I may be incorrect, but I believe you can order your gloves with removable or sewn in liners for both the blocker and catcher. 

• Like 1

On 3/26/2022 at 3:00 PM, coopaloop1234 said:

Isn't "580" = 90-degrees and "590" = 60-degress.  So in between would be 75-degrees as well (which would be a "600")?  Am I missing something?

On a side note, why do we still refer to break angles using archaic CCM model numbers?  Or do the model numbers imply more information than just the degree of break?

• Like 1