2021-2022 Playoffs

Fullright

So what do we think so far?

Carolina's D is relentless and they play heavy. Sorry Rangers' fans (I am one,,,,doing to Igor what they did to Hank). Calgary seems to have decided to crash the Dallas goalie every chance they get. Toronto,,,,,when they are on, they are something else and Campbell is a really good goalie. I havent seen alot of the games out west except some Flames' game but I've enjoyed all the ones I have seen so far. No clue yet who I project to win the Grail. 

Whatever you think about Mike Smith, I think he’s mostly been pretty good. I wonder if he’ll retire after the season or finish the last year on his contract. If they can get an elite goalie, they should, but those are hard to come by. 
Oilers have been undisciplined at times. Nurse with the head-butt comes to mind. 

8 minutes ago, WillyGrips13 said:

Whatever you think about Mike Smith, I think he’s mostly been pretty good. I wonder if he’ll retire after the season or finish the last year on his contract. If they can get an elite goalie, they should, but those are hard to come by. 
Oilers have been undisciplined at times. Nurse with the head-butt comes to mind. 

Funny enough, Smith is doing his best to drag the Oilers into the second round. 

The fact that Smith is needing to stand on his head so much just shows how bad the Oilers' defense is, especially against the Kings, who aren't exactly a top tier team. 
1556458499_WhatsAppImage2022-05-12at8_16_19AM.jpeg.146ad78574288745a32603f24b42328b.jpeg

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

I'm excited to see Edmonton fail once again. 

I'm really wanting to watch Toronto fail once again

That's literally all I have in this playoff race lol 

This. Especially the Toronto part.

in other news, Habs got the first pick overall. At first I was happy, but  being the savvy Habs fan that I am (yes, possibly an oxymoron; I’m aware), I soon realized that there is a very strong chance that they can even fuck this up. (Holds breath until draft…)

29 minutes ago, Lucky Pucker said:

This. Especially the Toronto part.

in other news, Habs got the first pick overall. At first I was happy, but  being the savvy Habs fan that I am (yes, possibly an oxymoron; I’m aware), I soon realized that there is a very strong chance that they can even fuck this up. (Holds breath until draft…)

https://www.tsn.ca/video/habs-gm-hughes-jokes-that-his-son-jack-wont-be-taken-no-1-i-can-promise-you-that~2438282

1 hour ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Funny enough, Smith is doing his best to drag the Oilers into the second round. 

The fact that Smith is needing to stand on his head so much just shows how bad the Oilers' defense is, especially against the Kings, who aren't exactly a top tier team. 
1556458499_WhatsAppImage2022-05-12at8_16_19AM.jpeg.146ad78574288745a32603f24b42328b.jpeg

Advance stats like these are useful and will make it harder for the typical cop-out that many coaches make of blaming their goaltender for everything else going on around them. Hopefully the old guard of coaches who rely on that BS are being phased out of the game. 

It’s amazing how so many of these series are extending to 6 and 7 games. Leads are not safe. The game of hockey today is offensively-minded, it has exceptional goaltending, but with chaotic defending often looking hapless. As exciting as it is, it is a shame how poor the defending can be. So much puck watching, leaving men open in dangerous areas, deflecting pucks past their own goalie, screening their own goalie, and being careless with the puck in their own zone. All players are skilled, but kind of dumb in their own zone. 

1 hour ago, WillyGrips13 said:

It’s amazing how so many of these series are extending to 6 and 7 games. Leads are not safe. The game of hockey today is offensively-minded, it has exceptional goaltending, but with chaotic defending often looking hapless. As exciting as it is, it is a shame how poor the defending can be. So much puck watching, leaving men open in dangerous areas, deflecting pucks past their own goalie, screening their own goalie, and being careless with the puck in their own zone. All players are skilled, but kind of dumb in their own zone. 

I think it's less that the defense is careless or poor and more that the offense is much more dynamic and fast than it used to be.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, CJ Boiss said:

I think it's less that the defense is careless or poor and more that the offense is much more dynamic and fast than it used to be.

Yeah, I’ve heard that counter argument before. Five players all staring at the puck with they’re sticks in the air and having no idea where anyone other than the puck carrier is has nothing to do with speed. I’m referring mainly to plays not on the rush, but when a team has possession in the offensive zone. It’s too much “puck focus” and no head on a swivel. 

3 minutes ago, WillyGrips13 said:

Yeah, I’ve heard that counter argument before. Five players all staring at the puck with they’re sticks in the air and having no idea where anyone other than the puck carrier is has nothing to do with speed. I’m referring mainly to plays not on the rush, but when a team has possession in the offensive zone. It’s too much “puck focus” and no head on a swivel. 

You must be watching different games than I am, because I don't see much of that.

The game is way, way faster than it used to be, and that makes it much harder to defend.

Just now, CJ Boiss said:

You must be watching different games than I am, because I don't see much of that.

The game is way, way faster than it used to be, and that makes it much harder to defend.

No, same games. I’m not interested in arguing on the internet. You don’t agree with me, that’s fine. It’s not going to change my mind on my observations. 

5 hours ago, Scythe said:

Freakin Oilers 🖕... and feel bad for the Leafs. 

Never feel bad for the Leafs. They'll still get more headlines through the second round than some teams that made it through. 

My only wish is that they had the TV special going this year too, to see the collapse for the second year in a row from the inside would've been amazing. 

• Like 1