2021-2022 Playoffs

Fullright

1 hour ago, Scythe said:

the Oilers may be packing it up soon but imo the MVP of that team is Mike Smith. Guy has been playing out of his mind and at a cool 40! years old. Just think about that for a moment. 

Mike Smith Stats and News | NHL.com

I don't think he let in any cheap goals. Maybe a few of them would've been caught with better luck but there were also some good saves. And still Edmonton isn't falling only for their goaltending but they have to improve their defence to be a winning team. They have the capability of scoring thats for sure.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ArdeFIN said:

I don't think he let in any cheap goals. Maybe a few of them would've been caught with better luck but there were also some good saves. And still Edmonton isn't falling only for their goaltending but they have to improve their defence to be a winning team. They have the capability of scoring thats for sure.

https://13proma9.com/v/4z2gnm  This was the winning goal in the last game. 

Smith is the most up and down goalie I can think of. Dude regularly makes saves he has no business making, and then almost routinely, let's in stinkers like the one above. 

The major thing about goaltending in the NHL is absolute consistency, if Smith was able to solve his issues with ill timely soft goals, dude may have been talked about as an elite goaltender throughout his career instead of the almost meme like reputation he's acquired. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, ArdeFIN said:

Was it Tampa being good or did the Rangers lost their game in the third yesterday? They looked like they got nervous of winning or whatever happened. No puck control, no organized playing and before that for the first two games and two periods they had a really solid game. Not saying Tampa didn't earn the victory but something happened on Rangers team. 

I saw it the same way last night. Something went wrong in the 3rd. Perhaps they just got a little tired, Tampa got its act together, a combination of both, or something else. 

From a technical point of view, Vaseleski (phonetic) impressed me. His feet werent set during the first period. He corrected that in the 2nd and the 3rd. Would have been easy to keep doing that for the rest of the game. Instead, he adjusted and played a good game.

Edited by Fullright
grammar
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

https://13proma9.com/v/4z2gnm  This was the winning goal in the last game. 

Smith is the most up and down goalie I can think of. Dude regularly makes saves he has no business making, and then almost routinely, let's in stinkers like the one above. 

The major thing about goaltending in the NHL is absolute consistency, if Smith was able to solve his issues with ill timely soft goals, dude may have been talked about as an elite goaltender throughout his career instead of the almost meme like reputation he's acquired. 

You could argue that shot not being really cheap, while it was something that should've been taken out and not let in. The shot was from close distance so only chance really for  goalie is to read the blade and react (and hope). The shot was a bit awkward from shooters position and stance which might've had some influence on reading the shot. And the shot itself hits the "perfect" spot right inside the skate and pad on the catcher side where it is difficult for goalie to move stick or blade to cover. And again there is no time to do that kind move if it doesn't come from reacting to that shot.

That said it was a crucial goal that a winning goalie would've not given and had kept his team a chance to win the game.

The defence before should've not given the chance for that goal either but was maybe a bit exhausted and didn't even touch the puck before got tackled out.

8 hours ago, ArdeFIN said:

You could argue that shot not being really cheap, while it was something that should've been taken out and not let in. The shot was from close distance so only chance really for  goalie is to read the blade and react (and hope). The shot was a bit awkward from shooters position and stance which might've had some influence on reading the shot. And the shot itself hits the "perfect" spot right inside the skate and pad on the catcher side where it is difficult for goalie to move stick or blade to cover. And again there is no time to do that kind move if it doesn't come from reacting to that shot.

That said it was a crucial goal that a winning goalie would've not given and had kept his team a chance to win the game.

The defence before should've not given the chance for that goal either but was maybe a bit exhausted and didn't even touch the puck before got tackled out.

I don't know man. Sure looked like Smith misread the shot and thought it was going further to his left. 

You can see him open up and lift his stick off the ice, only to quickly realize he read it wrong and try to bring everything back together just a fraction too late. 

Top of the circle shot, along the ice, center mass is one of those goals that really shouldn't go through. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

I don't know man. Sure looked like Smith misread the shot and thought it was going further to his left. 

You can see him open up and lift his stick off the ice, only to quickly realize he read it wrong and try to bring everything back together just a fraction too late. 

Top of the circle shot, along the ice, center mass is one of those goals that really shouldn't go through. 

Good point there. And that misread shot is very evident as the shooter didn't really do well with his shot, except making a goal.

• Like 2

I'm not his biggest fan and am pretty much indifferent about him. He is fun to watch, however. He also has been in The Show for a long long time and I dont think anyone can legitimately put the Oil's elimination on him. So while not HOF he's been pretty good for a long stretch. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Fullright said:

I'm not his biggest fan and am pretty much indifferent about him. He is fun to watch, however. He also has been in The Show for a long long time and I dont think anyone can legitimately put the Oil's elimination on him. So while not HOF he's been pretty good for a long stretch. 

Hopefully Rangers Lightning will give us more excellent goaltending play to compensate for the chaos of Mike Smith. 

Slightly off topic, but everyone saw the two flops Igor took right? He’s too good of a goalie to be pulling shit like that. And he got away with both…

Slightly off topic; I love how the NHL is seemingly trying to protect their goalies more but either mess up a goalie interference call or don’t call an obvious flop. It’s infuriating 

On 6/12/2022 at 8:31 AM, ilyazhito said:

Avalanche-Lightning should be an interesting one. It was a pity that the Rangers had to lose, but for some reason I got the sense that it was Shesterkin carrying the team, with not many contributions from other players. 

Everything you said, plus Rangers just looked slow. Not many SOG either. Granted the Lightning blocked a lot of shots. 18 of em I think it was. 

Edited by Scythe

8-0, 219/221 0.991 SV%, 0.25 GAA. Vasy's stats in his last 8 series clinchers are unbelievable. I know he's behind a great team, but it's still incredible. I feel like this is what Hasek might have been like in his prime if he had had a team like this around him. 

Even if you make it a little more realistic and take all clinching scenarios, the numbers are amazing.

image.thumb.png.ad7349d1db55d7ed5a6015bc1066125c.png

Edited by insertnamehere

12 hours ago, XCVII said:

I was hoping for a new Stanley Cup champion for 2022. Not all fans are the same and every fan base has silly fan but after the James Anastasio incident after game three, I was on the fence.

Anyway, go Avalanche.

Seriously, on that second Stamkos goal he made a great save but didn’t close his glove.  Ive seen a few other NHL goalies do this, why tf aren’t they closing their glove?!

Edited by jerd31

1 hour ago, jerd31 said:

Seriously, on that second Stamkos goal he made a great save but didn’t close his glove.  Ive seen a few other NHL goalies do this, why tf aren’t they closing their glove?!

Some can't. I do remember reading somewhere that Lundqvist had a debilitating problem with his hands and couldn't close his mitt all the time.