Attack of the Clones

TheGoalNet

11 minutes ago, GoalieTimmy33 said:

Yes we've made gear for Sherwood and Warrior, including sets worn by a number pro goalies (which is why we always laugh at the "why isn't Passau in the NHL?" question).

So the question should be: why hasn't Passau paid to be advertised in the NHL?   More accurate :)

8 minutes ago, Korppi32 said:

Who would use Passau if they pay the fee? Maybe Lalime or Thibault?

We have received inquiries from pros on occasion - given our history, ability to customize and the fact that all our gear is made in Canada we have the ability to offer anything the other guys do.  We just don't see NHL market share as the sole metric of success.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, seagoal said:

So the question should be: why hasn't Passau paid to be advertised in the NHL?   More accurate :)

3 hours ago, GoalieTimmy33 said:

We have received inquiries from pros on occasion - given our history, ability to customize and the fact that all our gear is made in Canada we have the ability to offer anything the other guys do.  We just don't see NHL market share as the sole metric of success.

thank you @GoalieTimmy33.   That is a totally valid, respectable answer.

Kudos to Passau for your comfort and conviction in the share of the market you occupy.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

I swear... I’ve seen this graphic before 

B43EB6EC-45A9-4512-A85D-476BE27F965C.png

It’s dirty, but short of copyrighting graphics it will continue to happen.   Reputable companies like Passau, Brian’s and Kenesky won’t straight copy.  Scott is doing what his customer asked and paid for.   No idea who is even buying his crap anymore 

1 hour ago, cwarnar said:

It’s dirty, but short of copyrighting graphics it will continue to happen.   Reputable companies like Passau, Brian’s and Kenesky won’t straight copy.  Scott is doing what his customer asked and paid for.   No idea who is even buying his crap anymore 

Even so, it's hard to imagine wanting a CCM graphic so badly without wanting actual CCM gear. 

Is there a huge enough price difference in CCM and Battram to even make sense of ordering a straight clone of graphic?

If you're going to pay a guy to make completely custom gear who is capable/willing to directly copy a graphic, why not get your own personal graphic unique to you?

It's a nice graphic but it isn't amazing enough to justify a custom rip-off of it when, apparently,  you can get any graphic whatsoever made for you.

Edited by seagoal
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, seagoal said:

Even so, it's hard to imagine wanting a CCM graphic so badly without wanting actual CCM gear. 

Is there a huge enough price difference in CCM and Battram to even make sense of ordering a straight clone of graphic?

If you're going to pay a guy to make completely custom gear who is capable/willing to directly copy a graphic, why not get your own personal graphic unique to you?

It's a nice graphic but it isn't amazing enough to justify a custom rip-off of it when, apparently,  you can get any graphic whatsoever made for you.

It’s probably cheaper. It’s still flat out wrong to do. Yes you’re doing what the customer asks but maybe think, this is someone else’s graphic and not mine. plain and simple. Don’t know how he’s not gotten busted for it yet 

33 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

If you like CCM's graphics but don't like that kind of pad then maybe this is what the customer resorted to.  Maybe they wanted a softer pad but love the CCM graphic.

#SolidColoredPads , All white, a Jones style graphic, or Pad Skinz are all more respectable choices here.

10 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

All of which are not the graphics the customer obviously wanted.  

It's a 2 way street though. The tendy who asks for this is an accomplice. If you don't want all CCM gear, then either wear mismatching gear or use one of the tactics mentioned above and you'll match perfectly.

You can do a set up a like yours with R G/T pads, Vaughn glove, and CCM blocker and still look like a stud.

4 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

It's a 2 way street though. The tendy who asks for this is an accomplice. If you don't want all CCM gear, then either wear mismatching gear or use one of the tactics mentioned above and you'll match perfectly.

You can do a set up a like yours with R G/T pads, Vaughn glove, and CCM blocker and still look like a stud.

But that person wants CCM graphics on a soft core pad.  If they wanted to stiff core pad they'd probably just get CCM pads.

Just now, SaveByRichter35 said:

But that person wants CCM graphics on a soft core pad.  If they wanted to stiff core pad they'd probably just get CCM pads.

I understand that, but it doesn't mean that person is making a fair request. If they want soft pads that badly, they need to give up on the graphics. Just because they want it doesn't mean they are entitled to it.

That person would probably be better off buying a custom set from Battram that is dialed into their needs and creating their own graphic.

1 minute ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

And for the record, these are not my pads.  I am just giving an argument for why someone might do this.

Yeah, but the Devil's advocate argument you're making is just, "So what, they don't care."

I think everyone understands that both Scott and the customer do not care. People are trying to get into the nuances of why they should care, what they can do, etc.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

But that person clearly doesn't give a shit that you or anyone else doesn't like their request.  They want what they want and they went to Scott to make their request happen.

I understand you are playing devil's advocate and sharing the why... I get it. But it's my opinion people should stop asking for it. Either go all CCM or pick a graphic that matches between brands. That's my point with this article, to raise awareness on this topic and my opinion around it

• Like 1

Ok, and that is noble of you.  But this person either doesn't care about your opinion, nor anyone else's opinion and wants this graphic.  Or, the more likely alternative, maybe they're just not in tune with the goalie world to the extent that we are and have no clue that this is a frowned upon tactic to the rest of the goalie population.

Yea, this is pretty hokey.

I'll argue on behalf of guys wanting to mimic their favourite goalie's helmet style or even their pad graphics but when you're just getting into the territory of copying currently in prodcution graphics, well that's when I wince and wonder what they're thinking. Shit, it's not even that nice of a graphic...