Maintaining Focus Between Periods

Xdave90x

12 minutes ago, Xdave90x said:

Hey all i have remarked that during period break i seem to loose focus for example i will have a strong first period but will start the 2nd by letting in 1 or 2 really weak goal do any of y'all have advice to help me keep focus?

You may be drinking too much beer between periods. Or, worse, not Enough!

Thats not helpful... I’ll show myself out

if you mean staying awake and focused on the game, i reccomend 

A. Taking a pre game nap. Napping will make you much more awake and focused

B. Spray water on your face during periods, cold water is very helpful to wake me up if i lose focus.

cocaine1.jpg.acc7900b22adfff7931be3b5f1d5120d.jpg

Every intermission. Don't keep it on the bench, it tends to disappear.

Though, In all seriousness, I've found that the first intermission always tosses me a loop as well. Just getting that first save or two under the belt really helps me dial back in and refocus.

There are tons of other things like diet, rest, hydration, focus exercises, blah blah blah. But those first two saves trump that.

Trust me, I know science.

4 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

cocaine1.jpg.acc7900b22adfff7931be3b5f1d5120d.jpg

Every intermission. Don't keep it on the bench, it tends to disappear.

Though, In all seriousness, I've found that the first intermission always tosses me a loop as well. Just getting that first save or two under the belt really helps me dial back in and refocus.

There are tons of other things like diet, rest, hydration, focus exercises, blah blah blah. But those first two saves trump that.

Trust me, I know science.

Fleury did that every shift!!!!

Theo Fleury, NOT the goalie, MarcAndre!!!!

Routine has always a friend to me. Not in a superstitious way, but more resets that put the high of a great save and the low of bad goal on the same level. 

Stick taps. Skate a figured 8 from one dot to the other after either a goal for or against. Take 20 seconds to remind yourself to focus on what works for you and what you know you can do. For me it’s singular focus on the little black disc, my depth, and to trust my reads. 

At our rink, we get 1- 2 minutes to switch ends. I skate to the other net, drop my bottle on top and immediately set up on the goal line inside the net. Then I look up, pick a spot, and visualize a skater coming from that spot with a puck and play it out accordingly. Will do that several times. Worth noting that not everything is high energy intensity. Changing up what the imagined player does (I.E. shot, dump, pass, deke) keeps it from getting stale and lets you work on all of it instead of just one aspect. When the puck drops I'm back in my spot and focus entirely on the puck drop. Watching the puck drop and where it moves to helps my focus on the immediate.

That's what I do though. Your mileage may vary, but it keeps me focused. Also helps me let go of a bad period or giving up a late period goal. Get to just wash all of that out because I am actively focusing on something with my mind.

Keep the focus in between periods. Don't start to relax. When I start to relax and joke around in the locker-room, I also lose my focus and find it tough to start the next period. Normally in the locker-room between periods, I'll just stare straight ahead or at the floor, keep focusing on an object, maybe spin my helmet around in my hands, just something not to break my focus, so I'm not getting lazy or relaxed and then have a poor start to the next period.

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, coopaloop1234 said:

You don't notice even a small shift?

The intermissions in my league are only one minute so there really isn't time to do anything to make me lose focus.  If I lose focus on anything its because I probably sucked in that period and lost focus before the intermission even started lol.

14 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

The intermissions in my league are only one minute so there really isn't time to do anything to make me lose focus.  If I lose focus on anything its because I probably sucked in that period and lost focus before the intermission even started lol.

Ours is the same length.

I think it's just the break in the flow of the game that gets to some of us. I wouldn't say it's a massive drop in focus, more of a "I'm allowed to think about other stuff again" and trying to get back into the zone mindset.

It's the same when a big scuffle breaks out and takes 5+ minutes to sort out. Usually has the same effect.

35 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Ours is the same length.

I think it's just the break in the flow of the game that gets to some of us. I wouldn't say it's a massive drop in focus, more of a "I'm allowed to think about other stuff again" and trying to get back into the zone mindset.

It's the same when a big scuffle breaks out and takes 5+ minutes to sort out. Usually has the same effect.

Maybe I just never have focus to lose then hahaha.  I'm constantly thinking about random shit when I play.

We get all of 30 seconds between periods, so there ain't a whole lotta time to lose focus... but I'd echo what a few people said above, and really focus on making The Next Save. You know you're going to face a shot soon enough, and you've got to be ready for it. You don't worry about the score, or what happened in the last period, or how many goals your team has to make up. Just focus on saving that first shot that comes your way. Personally, I make a point of crouching just a tad bit lower, really getting my head down and my hands out... basically, adding a smidge of intensity as I ready myself for the first shot. After that, I go back to autopilot.

As far as attitude goes, I pretty much try to counter whatever tone was set in the previous period. If my team's ahead by a goal or two, I might be a bit more serious — like many beer league teams, my guys take their foot off the gas and stop playing defense once we're ahead by a couple. So I'll may say something about keeping our focus, getting the next goal, not letting up, etc. On the contrary, if we're behind or if I had a bad period, I'll try and be a bit looser, maybe make a joke or chat with one of my teammates. Concerned or embarrassed is no way to start a period.

I don’t have a lot of advice as what all of you said has really helped me out, having attention issues gets you easily distracted, thus me forgetting when I should maintain my focus.

personally, if I can get out on the bench by myself a few minutes before the rest of my team does, I keep my helmet up and stretch each legs out on top of the bench (one at a time) usually taking quick looks back and forth at each crease as I also try to not focus on the stands too much.

Right before puck drop, I turn around and face my net saying a little prayer, and after I turn around and I stick tap my left post 3 times, one below the corner, one at the corner and one above, then do the same thing with my glove, then I do a sign of the cross and point upward with my glove, like Josh Harding (one of my favorite goalies ever) did before he stepped out onto the ice

in between every whistle or stoppage I try to do a figure eight on both sides of my net. If there’s a faceoff in front of my or right above the close blue line I tap both posts quite aggressively and challenge accordingly.

again, this is what I do and have been doing and plan to implement some of your suggestions into my game 

27 minutes ago, southpawtendy48 said:

in between every whistle or stoppage I try to do a figure eight on both sides of my net.

I started doing that the last few seasons as well (picked it up from watching my kid do it :) ) and found it helps me to stay in the game and stay loose. I usually alternate each whistle, one to the left of the net, next to the right, etc.

...you guys with 2min breaks between periods don't get ANY ice resurfacing? ?

41 minutes ago, estogoalie said:

I started doing that the last few seasons as well (picked it up from watching my kid do it :) ) and found it helps me to stay in the game and stay loose. I usually alternate each whistle, one to the left of the net, next to the right, etc.

...you guys with 2min breaks between periods don't get ANY ice resurfacing? ?

Nope, it’s more like a minute really. Most goalies meet up at their teams benches, I just go straight to the other net (mostly because I wasn’t really buddies with the rest of my team lol), I try to focus on my play more than everyone else’s

2 hours ago, southpawtendy48 said:

I don’t have a lot of advice as what all of you said has really helped me out, having attention issues gets you easily distracted, thus me forgetting when I should maintain my focus.

personally, if I can get out on the bench by myself a few minutes before the rest of my team does, I keep my helmet up and stretch each legs out on top of the bench (one at a time) usually taking quick looks back and forth at each crease as I also try to not focus on the stands too much.

Right before puck drop, I turn around and face my net saying a little prayer, and after I turn around and I stick tap my left post 3 times, one below the corner, one at the corner and one above, then do the same thing with my glove, then I do a sign of the cross and point upward with my glove, like Josh Harding (one of my favorite goalies ever) did before he stepped out onto the ice

in between every whistle or stoppage I try to do a figure eight on both sides of my net. If there’s a faceoff in front of my or right above the close blue line I tap both posts quite aggressively and challenge accordingly.

again, this is what I do and have been doing and plan to implement some of your suggestions into my game 

I dig this, especially the prayer part.

if you ever need to find focus, or regain focus, stand straight up, close your eyes, picture bright white light, do twenty short breaths (in/out counts as one), then twenty long breaths. Make sure to use your nose only. Try focusing the inhale as starting from between your eyes to scaling down to the tip of your nose as you exhale.

It's a bit kooky (And it is lol. I took it from some book on mysticism), but I've been having success with it. 

Archived