Aegis Interceptor HD Pro

On 7/10/2019 at 12:39 PM, SaveByRichter35 said:

I received mine yesterday.  Will be wearing it Friday night during my game.  I will post up my thoughts Sunday most likely as I will be busy all day Saturday with my son's 2nd birthday party.

My Friday night game was canceled due to the other team not having enough players.  Sorry for the delay.  Next game is this Saturday night, 7/20.  

40 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

My Friday night game was canceled due to the other team not having enough players.  Sorry for the delay.  Next game is this Saturday night, 7/20.  

Aw, come on! Sounds like a weak sauce excuse to me. You could have thrown it on before taking the kids to the park, or wear it while mowing the lawn, or even model it while having dinner with your wife’s friend that you hate! Lol!

Edited by Lucky Pucker

26 minutes ago, Lucky Pucker said:

Aw, come on! Sounds like a weak sauce excuse to me. You could have thrown it on before taking the kids to the park, or wear it while mowing the lawn, or even model it while having dinner with your wife’s friend that you hate! Lol!

I just did some manscaping a few days ago.  I should have worn it while I was doing that and snapped a few for you...dammit.

• Haha 1

On 7/10/2019 at 12:48 PM, beansbats said:

I'm a 17 to 17.5" neck size.  I can barely close the velcro, and once it is closed it comes loose during the game.  It just may be that the product is not for me, or I could sew an extension in, which would be easy enough to do.

-steve

Have you tried attaching some industrial hook and loop to either side of your chesty/ neck guard? (Almost a Brian's Optik/ B-Star chesty with adjustable neck piece?) in theory you wouldn't need to even use the strap around the neck. 

I may be wrong, but I do my own mods via contact cement and/or the before mentioned route.

brians-goalie-chest-protector-optik-pro-inset2.jpg

• Like 1

So I got around to finally trying this last night.  It didn't even make it on the ice.  Just as I figured it would while trying it on at home, it was too bulky under my c/a that I didn't even bother to try it.  I am just too used to my Maltese which doesn't even feel like anything is there.  @Max27 you're local to me, do you wanna give it a try?

On 7/28/2019 at 9:52 AM, SaveByRichter35 said:

So I got around to finally trying this last night.  It didn't even make it on the ice.  Just as I figured it would while trying it on at home, it was too bulky under my c/a that I didn't even bother to try it.  I am just too used to my Maltese which doesn't even feel like anything is there.  @Max27 you're local to me, do you wanna give it a try?

This opinion is very fair. Aegis’ current product is D30 only and is thin like a Maltese 

The new generation is designed to be flexible and a tank at the same time. For anyone that finds it too bulky, the more traditional Aegis product would be a good fit for you 

In my opinion, there’s not reason a neck guard shouldn’t be as protective as a chest protector and that’s what we were going for here 

On 7/10/2019 at 1:48 PM, beansbats said:

I'm a 17 to 17.5" neck size.  I can barely close the velcro, and once it is closed it comes loose during the game.  It just may be that the product is not for me, or I could sew an extension in, which would be easy enough to do.

-steve

I am in the same boat as you I am also one of the testers. my neck is roughly the same dimensions as yours.  

Things we have learnt about this neck guard and chatting with @TheGoalNet we have made some discoveries.

If you have a neck under 17" the stock height of the collar works well.  As I have a larger neck I trimmed the neck foam down a bit (photos later) and cut a small dip as well to allow better movement of my neck.

The way the foam is  laid out  you can essentially do a trim to fit design when you pull the foam out of the neck portion.  It's the best of both worlds.  I would like them to make the collar an inch longer and foam an inch longer as it doesn't wrap as much as my Maltese does.  But that is also a preference thing for me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thebigm said:

I am in the same boat as you I am also one of the testers. my neck is roughly the same dimensions as yours.  

Things we have learnt about this neck guard and chatting with @TheGoalNet we have made some discoveries.

If you have a neck under 17" the stock height of the collar works well.  As I have a larger neck I trimmed the neck foam down a bit (photos later) and cut a small dip as well to allow better movement of my neck.

The way the foam is  laid out  you can essentially do a trim to fit design when you pull the foam out of the neck portion.  It's the best of both worlds.  I would like them to make the collar an inch longer and foam an inch longer as it doesn't wrap as much as my Maltese does.  But that is also a preference thing for me.

Same.

I got to wear this Wed night.  I wanted to write a review yesterday but never got a chance.  I had a lot of catching up to do from my holidays and we just had an employee pass away Monday night.

So I wore the Aegis neck guard Wednesday night.  I did trim one row and made a small dip in mine as I have a 17.5" neck and the height before was way too tall for my neck.

So my old neck guard was a second gen Maltese it was big and heavy but I loved it as it was super protective.

I just upgraded it a month ago with a newer Maltese neck guard  which is way lighter - just regular not a Reiter spec.  

Now I have the Aegis.

Comparison:

Weight comparison goes as follow from heaviest to lightest.   2nd gen Maltese, Aegis (bigger than new Maltese)  Newest gen Maltese.

I honestly don't find the weight to be too much of an issue as long as it's comfortable.

Initial Review:

I will say I have only worn this once I went on holidays shortly after receiving this and only got to try it this week.  I had to trim it to make it fit my neck which is perfectly fine.  The trim to fit is a sweet way to make a customizable neck guard that can appeal to the masses which is a good thing in  the business world.  Custom takes more time and costs more money.

I will admit when I wore it on the ice for the first time I forgot I even had it on it was very comfortable and I was also maybe a little more excited to wear my custom 2x pros.  Did my normal warm up routine and we started a scrimage.

Shortly after we started I was reminded that I was wearing a new neck guard as it got tested very quickly first shot was a break away and hit me right up high in the collarbone and jaw of my helmet.  I knew it hit me in the clavicle but I didn't feel a thing.  I thought I would feel more of a pressure on it but I didn't.  Usually with the Maltese I knew where it hit but wouldn't hurt.  The Aegis I didn't feel it at all which is weird for me but I am okay with that.
I had no problem with it being too hot it was comfortable and again forgot I was wearing it (which is a good thing) and continued playing.
I did not get hit again in the neck or collar bone for the rest of the game.

What I would change if I could.

if you look at the post by BadAngle41 of the Aegis and Maltese being worn the only thing I would like done is to have the length a bit longer so more of the circumference of your neck is covered.

You can see in BadAngle41 picture it just kinda stops in front. while Matese wraps the side of your neck.  This may only be an issue for larger necks not sure though.

1 hour ago, thebigm said:

I got to wear this Wed night.  I wanted to write a review yesterday but never got a chance.  I had a lot of catching up to do from my holidays and we just had an employee pass away Monday night.

So I wore the Aegis neck guard Wednesday night.  I did trim one row and made a small dip in mine as I have a 17.5" neck and the height before was way too tall for my neck.

So my old neck guard was a second gen Maltese it was big and heavy but I loved it as it was super protective.

I just upgraded it a month ago with a newer Maltese neck guard  which is way lighter - just regular not a Reiter spec.  

Now I have the Aegis.

Comparison:

Weight comparison goes as follow from heaviest to lightest.   2nd gen Maltese, Aegis (bigger than new Maltese)  Newest gen Maltese.

I honestly don't find the weight to be too much of an issue as long as it's comfortable.

Initial Review:

I will say I have only worn this once I went on holidays shortly after receiving this and only got to try it this week.  I had to trim it to make it fit my neck which is perfectly fine.  The trim to fit is a sweet way to make a customizable neck guard that can appeal to the masses which is a good thing in  the business world.  Custom takes more time and costs more money.

I will admit when I wore it on the ice for the first time I forgot I even had it on it was very comfortable and I was also maybe a little more excited to wear my custom 2x pros.  Did my normal warm up routine and we started a scrimage.

Shortly after we started I was reminded that I was wearing a new neck guard as it got tested very quickly first shot was a break away and hit me right up high in the collarbone and jaw of my helmet.  I knew it hit me in the clavicle but I didn't feel a thing.  I thought I would feel more of a pressure on it but I didn't.  Usually with the Maltese I knew where it hit but wouldn't hurt.  The Aegis I didn't feel it at all which is weird for me but I am okay with that.
I had no problem with it being too hot it was comfortable and again forgot I was wearing it (which is a good thing) and continued playing.
I did not get hit again in the neck or collar bone for the rest of the game.

What I would change if I could.

if you look at the post by BadAngle41 of the Aegis and Maltese being worn the only thing I would like done is to have the length a bit longer so more of the circumference of your neck is covered.

You can see in BadAngle41 picture it just kinda stops in front. while Matese wraps the side of your neck.  This may only be an issue for larger necks not sure though.

Thanks @thebigm - If there is an opportunity to make a longer neck insert or a larger size before the release, we will definitely do that.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

Thanks @thebigm - If there is an opportunity to make a longer neck insert or a larger size before the release, we will definitely do that.

Awesome I think it will make it one of if not thee best on the market!  I will make sure I will have lots in stock and offer a special TGN discount ;)

• Like 1

On 7/28/2019 at 9:52 AM, SaveByRichter35 said:

How much ? Sorry just saw this, if you don’t have it anymore it’s fine

6 hours ago, Max27 said:

How much ? Sorry just saw this, if you don’t have it anymore it’s fine

1 hour ago, TheGoalNet said:

Let’s pause on this idea. Ritcher will be getting something else to test. 

Wasn't going to sell it lol.  Just to give it a try for an ice time or two.  Looking forward to the new one!

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...