Warrior G5

cwarnar

1 hour ago, jfu91 said:

For those of you wondering, Warrior is still producing. I just received my set of G5's that I ordered about 6 weeks ago! Here are some pictures, next to my set of G4's that they will be replacing. The blocker board is flatter, the glove has an insert to tilt the hand a bit. The pads are extra-stiff in the thigh, and the same size as my set of G4's (36+2). I think I'll really like the beveled cut on the back corner of the landing stack. Not sure when I'll be able to take them out for a spin, but hope to do a review when possible. Meanwhile, if there's any area where folks want to see more pictures, I'd be happy to oblige.

They look really good! Which shop did you order through? I went with the TheGoalieCrease when they had their special promo offer and got it in about 7.5 weeks ago. I haven't seen a picture of them on Warrior's instagram, so I don't know if they've been built yet.

Like others have said I’m jealous that you got your pads in only six weeks. I ordered mine a couple weeks ago through TGC and was quoted 8/10 weeks but I’m sure that’s just a general time line. I can’t wait to get my pads since the rinks here are starting to open back up. 

anything that you noticed in Particular that you want to point out? I actually saw your set posted somewhere and thought it was really nice and clean.  

53 minutes ago, Teezle said:

They look really good! Which shop did you order through? I went with the TheGoalieCrease when they had their special promo offer and got it in about 7.5 weeks ago. I haven't seen a picture of them on Warrior's instagram, so I don't know if they've been built yet.

I went with Wack from Pure Goalie - they are just up the street from me, and Wack is a cool guy. They were up on Pure Goalie's insta feed. Man they know how to take good pictures.

48 minutes ago, Quadzilla32 said:

anything that you noticed in Particular that you want to point out? I actually saw your set posted somewhere and thought it was really nice and clean.  

Blocker: flatter profile is the big difference, otherwise feels pretty similar

Glove: Can't really notice the tilt in coveragePlus, but I did notice that the thumb-side of the T is about .5 inches longer than the same region on my G4s. It looks like they took some size out of the cuff and added to the T. This is what I wanted - I always thought the catch pocket was undersized relative to the glove perimeter compared to other gloves (OPTIK2 etc)

Pads: The thigh break is definitely stiffer. Hope this plays to the way I like my pads - straight above the knee. The outside wing wrap has dimpled texture. The exterior rooms are nice and beefy down low and tapered nicely towards the top. The flattened knee rolls have a more 3-dimensional construction now, and looks awesome. The knee landing has a cutoff the back corner. Top of the pad binding is also jenpro now instead of nylon - might help prevent fraying.

All around, improvements to everything that I might have wanted from G4s, and retaining everything about the G4s that I loved.

6 minutes ago, jfu91 said:

I went with Wack from Pure Goalie - they are just up the street from me, and Wack is a cool guy. They were up on Pure Goalie's insta feed. Man they know how to take good pictures.

Cool. No big retailers are near to me, so we'll see when they come in. I asked TGC and they had not received any of the custom sets from their pre-orders yet.

1 minute ago, jfu91 said:

Pads: The thigh break is definitely stiffer. Hope this plays to the way I like my pads - straight above the knee. The outside wing wrap has dimpled texture. The exterior rooms are nice and beefy down low and tapered nicely towards the top. The flattened knee rolls have a more 3-dimensional construction now, and looks awesome. The knee landing has a cutoff the back corner. Top of the pad binding is also jenpro now instead of nylon - might help prevent fraying.

All around, improvements to everything that I might have wanted from G4s, and retaining everything about the G4s that I loved.

The knee block is also bindingless on the G5, as opposed to the G4. I knew this would be a high-wear area, and it's one of the main reasons I didn't get the G4 (after being in G2s). But they fixed that and added all the features you mentioned, so I am very excited to get mine in. Hopefully they arrive soon! 

4 minutes ago, Teezle said:

The knee block is also bindingless on the G5, as opposed to the G4. I knew this would be a high-wear area, and it's one of the main reasons I didn't get the G4 (after being in G2s). But they fixed that and added all the features you mentioned, so I am very excited to get mine in. Hopefully they arrive soon! 

The bindingness is definitely nice! I had to repair the g4 bindings a few times. Hope you get them soon too!!

33 minutes ago, Teezle said:

Cool. No big retailers are near to me, so we'll see when they come in. I asked TGC and they had not received any of the custom sets from their pre-orders yet.

I ordered mine on 3/23 from TGC.   I had asked Warrior on instagram how long they were taking to make pads with everything going on.  He told me 8 weeks still and i said that I was about 7 weeks.  He asked for a picture of what I ordered and fired back a finished picture and said they would be uploaded eventually.  I just have no idea how long it'll take for TGC to get them from Warrior.  I talked to Rance yesterday and they don't have any yet.

Put the wrong date

Edited by mikemc620

10 minutes ago, mikemc620 said:

I ordered mine on 4/23 from TGC.   I had asked Warrior on instagram how long they were taking to make pads with everything going on.  He told me 8 weeks still and i said that I was about 7 weeks.  He asked for a picture of what I ordered and fired back a finished picture and said they would be uploaded eventually.  I just have no idea how long it'll take for TGC to get them from Warrior.  I talked to Rance yesterday and they don't have any yet.

You gave me hope I ordered mine on 4/14 so hopefully they will be done soon too. 

If the pads are completed in Thailand, and have to get to Canada, from a logistics standpoint, ocean transit time is 30-48 days, so add at least that time to get to the distribution center before they can ship to TGC (and if distribution comes from the U.S, then they need to be imported there first, then exported to Canada, before being re-imported to the U.S. if you live here.)  Not likely to be shipped by air as that is a premium freight cost, and shouldn't be utilized by a manufacturer that needs to keep costs low.  Warrior probably makes a bulk shipment once enough sets can be palletized for shipment.  Assume that's, at minimum, at least 8-12 sets (not economical) all the way up to a half-container load (at least 64 sets).  I'm assuming here on some of the stats, but wanted to try to help out with some understanding that shipping can be a beautiful thing and a logistical nightmare.  They are more than likely not finishing each set and flying individually to their destination from Thailand, or they should hire me as their shipping manager.😉

Edited by dreadlocked1
more details
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, dreadlocked1 said:

If the pads are completed in Thailand, and have to get to Canada, from a logistics standpoint, ocean transit time is 30-48 days, so add at least that time to get to the distribution center before they can ship to TGC (and if distribution comes from the U.S, then they need to be imported there first, then exported to Canada, before being re-imported to the U.S. if you live here.)  Not likely to be shipped by air as that is a premium freight cost, and shouldn't be utilized by a manufacturer that needs to keep costs low.  Warrior probably makes a bulk shipment once enough sets can be palletized for shipment.  Assume that's, at minimum, at least 8-12 sets (not economical) all the way up to a half-container load (at least 64 sets).  I'm assuming here on some of the stats, but wanted to try to help out with some understanding that shipping can be a beautiful thing and a logistical nightmare.  They are more than likely not finishing each set and flying individually to their destination from Thailand, or they should hire me as their shipping manager.😉

Do you know that Thailand is where Warriors custom pads are being manufactured? If that is the case and you are saying that shipping takes 30-48 days (4-7 weeks) then how are people recieving pads in 6-7 weeks?  The quoted time is 8-10, so it actually only takes a couple weeks from order to when the pads are shipped?

14 hours ago, dreadlocked1 said:

Not likely to be shipped by air as that is a premium freight cost, and shouldn't be utilized by a manufacturer that needs to keep costs low.

They ship their pads via Air. It may not be anywhere near as cheap as intermodal, but it's the only way to ensure that their pads are making it to North America within a reasonable timeframe. This is some first hand knowledge from the goalie manager at THS.

I'm sure they're easily able to offset the cost of air freight through the overall larger margins made through manufacturing these overseas. 

7 minutes ago, ZeroGravitas said:

If I recall correctly, Bauer is manufactured in Thailand and Warrior is manufactured in Vietnam. It is probably a big difference for transit times as these countries are pretty close to each other. As to the method of transporting the gear, I have no idea.

The packing sheet on my G5s stated that they came from Vietnam via air.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dreadlocked1 said:

I was incorrect then.  I just got X2 Pro pants and thought I saw Thailand, but it must be Vietnam.  My mistake.  They can also certainly be shipping them by air, it just wouldn't be as cheap as ocean transit. 

They are probably shipping more of the stock items this way and then distributing to retailers across the US and Canada.  It just doesn't make as much sense when trying to meet delivery on custom orders.  

1 hour ago, Teezle said:

According to the response I got from the Warrior goalie instagram, my set has not yet been completed, but should be ready soon (tm).

Mine are done but i have no idea when they will or if they have shipped from Warrior to TGC.  Last I heard on Monday was that they haven't gotten any yet and that it'll take 4-5 days to ship to me.  Hopefully that means I might get them by the end of next week.  

I got an email from the rink this week and it'll be opening up for limited capacity stick times when phase 2 starts next Friday.

1 hour ago, mikemc620 said:

Mine are done but i have no idea when they will or if they have shipped from Warrior to TGC.  Last I heard on Monday was that they haven't gotten any yet and that it'll take 4-5 days to ship to me.  Hopefully that means I might get them by the end of next week.  

I got an email from the rink this week and it'll be opening up for limited capacity stick times when phase 2 starts next Friday.

Nice, hope you get em in time! I wish the rinks around here had an idea of when they might even be opening. The stay at home around here is scheduled to lift next monday - but no word yet on rinks. Where do you play in NC? I used to play down at the Pineville icehouse

8 minutes ago, jfu91 said:

Nice, hope you get em in time! I wish the rinks around here had an idea of when they might even be opening. The stay at home around here is scheduled to lift next monday - but no word yet on rinks. Where do you play in NC? I used to play down at the Pineville icehouse

I play on two different teams.  One at the Pineville Icehouse and the other is at Extreme Ice in Indian Trail near Mathews.  The email that I got was from XI, no idea what Pineville plans to do yet.  

Monday will be 8 weeks from when I ordered my pads so I guess that I can't complain yet.

Where are you at now?

27 minutes ago, mikemc620 said:

I play on two different teams.  One at the Pineville Icehouse and the other is at Extreme Ice in Indian Trail near Mathews.  The email that I got was from XI, no idea what Pineville plans to do yet.  

Monday will be 8 weeks from when I ordered my pads so I guess that I can't complain yet.

Where are you at now?

Looks like we ordered at the same time (Monday is also 8 weeks for me), so hopefully we'll get them around the same time, too. Our official season is scheduled to resume on June 1, but ice rinks will be re-opening next week. I wouldn't go to one of them, because it's impossible to socially distance in their tiny locker rooms and hallways. But we're scheduled to do a few low number of skaters pickup games in the coming weeks to "tune up" for it - restrictions like only 5 guys a side (playing full ice 4-on-4 or 3-on-3), no contact/going into the corners, face covering required under your helmets, no showering at the rink, etc.

It would be nice to take the new gear for a couple test runs to get a feel for it. Mostly I'm just excited for new gear - I'l definitely post pics when it comes in.