Warrior G5

cwarnar

Unlesss I’m not seeing it correctly the toe area of the G5’s is different than the previous  years. Then other years had that flap you could tie/screw into but the G5’s toe area is just that slit on the bottom of the pad with two holes and a spot for the elastic toe area. 

18 minutes ago, dreadlocked1 said:

You are not seeing it correctly.  He's running a set of prolaces the same way the original Warrior elastic is ran.  The lace in the toe bridge is the stock lace that held the piece of foam in there.  Would be easier to see if he pulled it apart a bit.

image.thumb.jpeg.2a69692aad4a84a8ef19ef3b7c6b7aa6.jpeg

Isnt there usually a flap? This looks like the flap is stitched down to the pad. I guess you could run the laces through the slits but what if you wanted to screw them in?

No more screwing in.  Kinda like Apple taking away 1/8th inch audiojacks on their phones.  Just assuming it's not gonna be used anymore.  You're left with the two small holes and maybe that big hole(assuming that's to help work the ars strap through) to work with for alternative tie methods.  I need to see it up close myself, as I don't see how these two little holes will hold up against a lace ring getting slammed around and not ripping out.  Hopefully it's beefed up somehow.

Edited by dreadlocked1

33 minutes ago, dreadlocked1 said:

No more screwing in.  Kinda like Apple taking away 1/8th inch audiojacks on their phones.  Just assuming it's not gonna be used anymore.  You're sleft with the two small holes and maybe that big hole to work with for alternative tie methods.  I need to see it up close myself, as I don't see how these two little holes will hold up against a lace ring getting slammed around and not ripping out.  Hopefully it's beefed up somehow.

That was my thought process too, it seems like the holes and material would tear easily. Might have to get TGC spec ones and tie them through the slits? Might be warriors way of making you use their toe ties like apple did with their jack. 

Edited by Quadzilla32

Really there's no reason to not use Warrior's system until it wears out.  I've used the Warrior elastic, Brian's original Smart Straps and a couple different bungee ties.  At the end of the day there are really no significant differences between how the bungee ties and the Warrior system function.

Edited by Puckstopper

29 minutes ago, Puckstopper said:

Really there's no reason to not use Warrior's system until it wears out.  I've used the Warrior elastic, Brian's original Smart Straps and a couple different bungee ties.  At the end of the day there are really no significant differences between how the bungee ties and the Warrior system function.

I have the pro laces so I wanted to throw them on to have a familiar feeling with these pads. 

28 minutes ago, Puckstopper said:

Believe I read that they made the stock strap a little longer? This is good if it’s true because when I tried on the G4’s I definitely felt my ankles being pulled up and made it a little Uncomfortable. 

I think the warrior stock set up will work just want to have options especially since I bought pro laces already....

6 hours ago, Puckstopper said:

I ordered them and I heard from a friend that they used washers around the laces to tie them on, so you loop the laces through the 2 small holes and put washers on to help make sure it lasts longer, then there is less stress on that tiny little space between the 2 holes and it cant rip or stretch the leather

Edited by Nakka30

I think for my first time in my G5 pads tonight I’m going to use the CRS strap with the boot strap going through the Lundy loop, the calf strap going through the loop in the tighter setting and the knee strap down to the calf. 

my thought now is how much will I miss having a professor strap on my pads. 

21 hours ago, mikemc620 said:

I think for my first time in my G5 pads tonight I’m going to use the CRS strap with the boot strap going through the Lundy loop, the calf strap going through the loop in the tighter setting and the knee strap down to the calf. 

my thought now is how much will I miss having a professor strap on my pads. 

I used the my pads for the first time last night. The gloves felt great, it was a little bit more difficult for me going from a white glove to the black. Hasn’t caused any issues yet. 

After the first period I had to loosen up both of the straps and will switch to not have the calf strap go through the pad. 
One thing I noticed was That the pad seems to be sitting much more on top of my skate with the toe of my skate exposed. I am not sure how that changes when I am down in my stance. Just looked weird to me. 
Overall the pads felt food and didn’t seem to have much of an adjustment for me. 

3 hours ago, mikemc620 said:

I used the my pads for the first time last night. The gloves felt great, it was a little bit more difficult for me going from a white glove to the black. Hasn’t caused any issues yet. 

After the first period I had to loosen up both of the straps and will switch to not have the calf strap go through the pad. 
One thing I noticed was That the pad seems to be sitting much more on top of my skate with the toe of my skate exposed. I am not sure how that changes when I am down in my stance. Just looked weird to me. 
Overall the pads felt food and didn’t seem to have much of an adjustment for me. 

The pad sitting higher up on your foot is due to the strap running through the Lundy Loop. I switched from strapping under my boot to through the loop for my last few skates before everything shutdown (G3s, not G5s), and really liked how it positioned my knee on the stack when I butterflied. Felt like the pad moved less when I skated out of my net, as* well.

Edited by CJ Boiss

2 hours ago, CJ Boiss said:

The pad sitting higher up on your foot is due to the strap running through the Lundy Loop. I switched from strapping under my boot to through the loop for my last few skates before everything shutdown (G3s, not G5s), and really liked how it positioned my knee on the stack when I butterflied. Felt like the pad moved less when I skated out of my net, ass well.

I think that this helps me to land on the correct spot on the knee stack similar to the way the professor strap did. It just seems weird looking down and seeing the front of my skate exposed now. 

20 minutes ago, mikemc620 said:

I think that this helps me to land on the correct spot on the knee stack similar to the way the professor strap did. It just seems weird looking down and seeing the front of my skate exposed now. 

Mhm. Without using the loop, my knee tends to land a little bit high of centre on the stack. I think, if I were to order a custom set from Warrior, I'd get 36+1.5 (currently in a 35+1.5). Maybe a 36+1.

1 hour ago, CJ Boiss said:

Mhm. Without using the loop, my knee tends to land a little bit high of centre on the stack. I think, if I were to order a custom set from Warrior, I'd get 36+1.5 (currently in a 35+1.5). Maybe a 36+1.

I had 36+2 SLRs and ordered 36+1.5 for my G5. I still feel like I’m landing high on the G5 when the SLR felt fine with using the bootstrap under my skate. 

1 hour ago, mikemc620 said:

I had 36+2 SLRs and ordered 36+1.5 for my G5. I still feel like I’m landing high on the G5 when the SLR felt fine with using the bootstrap under my skate. 

Interesting. I was wearing 35+1 Velocity V5s before I got my G3s, and was landing perfectly on the V5 stack without any bootstrap (just my lace toe ties, a calfstrap, and a knee strap)

2 hours ago, CJ Boiss said:

Interesting. I was wearing 35+1 Velocity V5s before I got my G3s, and was landing perfectly on the V5 stack without any bootstrap (just my lace toe ties, a calfstrap, and a knee strap)

I used prolaces on my old pads and kept the boot strap order loose rather than removing it. The G5’s I need to use the Lundy loop to land on the knee stack. 

My set was delivered yesterday, and I used them for the first time last night, as well. Definitely need some adjusting coming from the EF4 pads. It felt to me like even on the loosest setting, the ARS toe ties were still a bit tight, so I took off the boot strap and put on the prolaces for my next skate. They slide great and feel very stable, so once I get them dialed in I'm going to really enjoy them. Also, they are crazy light - my 32+2 pads weigh 1833g per pad, where the 32+2 EF4s weighed 2191 g per pad (almost 0.8 lbs lighter per pad).

1 hour ago, Teezle said:

My set was delivered yesterday, and I used them for the first time last night, as well. Definitely need some adjusting coming from the EF4 pads. It felt to me like even on the loosest setting, the ARS toe ties were still a bit tight, so I took off the boot strap and put on the prolaces for my next skate. They slide great and feel very stable, so once I get them dialed in I'm going to really enjoy them. Also, they are crazy light - my 32+2 pads weigh 1833g per pad, where the 32+2 EF4s weighed 2191 g per pad (almost 0.8 lbs lighter per pad).

How did you attach your prolaces? Did they fit smaller than your ccm’s, under the impression ccm is about one size bigger.