#GoalieCrowd Stick Height Database

TheGoalNet

I am 6'3" and currently I am using 26" Warrior Abyss sticks.  My last stick prior to that was a Warrior Swagger Kiprusoff which was 26".

I have in reserve two Warrior Swagger heel curve sticks that are 25" which I will see if I like or not.

The last team I played on the other goalie was probably 5'8" or 5'9" and used a 27" paddle on his sticks.  He was always trying to convince me that I needed a longer paddle on my sticks.

Edited by Ken35
Additional information

• 10 months later...
6 hours ago, Quadzilla32 said:

Never thought about shaving the paddle down, wouldn’t that leave composite fibers exposed and weaken the integrity of the paddle? 

no , its usually foam on a composite stick. I done it to my ccm eflex 4 stick. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just was looking through this thread and noticed many large paddle lengths. For all you 27.5ers out there, I’m pretty sure bishop uses like a 25 or 26. I also see people talking about stances and how short sticks are for people with low stances. This is simply not true. Unless you play like you are in 1980 or before you make stick saves in your butterfly. Therefore stick size should be based off the butterfly so you have no 7 hole and good control of you stick during stick saves. Yes ideally your stick is on the ice in your stance but you don’t make stick saves in your stance is the bottom line. My friend plays triple A and is 5’10 using a 23 and is the best goalie I have ever seen with his stick. I am 5’5 and use a 23 only because 22s don’t really exist especially for full rights.

5 hours ago, A.YOUNGoalie13 said:

Just was looking through this thread and noticed many large paddle lengths. For all you 27.5ers out there, I’m pretty sure bishop uses like a 25 or 26. I also see people talking about stances and how short sticks are for people with low stances. This is simply not true. Unless you play like you are in 1980 or before you make stick saves in your butterfly. Therefore stick size should be based off the butterfly so you have no 7 hole and good control of you stick during stick saves. Yes ideally your stick is on the ice in your stance but you don’t make stick saves in your stance is the bottom line. My friend plays triple A and is 5’10 using a 23 and is the best goalie I have ever seen with his stick. I am 5’5 and use a 23 only because 22s don’t really exist especially for full rights.

The notion that you don’t make stick saves in your standing stance isn’t completely true, i.e. when you’re standing up on the post to intercept a pass, not exactly a save but still.

On 12/23/2020 at 5:36 PM, A.YOUNGoalie13 said:

dont get too caught up in the number ,  at the end of the day blocker hand needs to be in optimal position that is the correct position (somewhere equidistance bt ice and top of vertical angle),  this is based on how style of play.  the vertical angle changes if you are aggressive goalie vs one that sit in the crease or more passive, if the former, u need the hands lower to close up the hole,  if in the crease higher.  MAF is one that has a low hand position, 

The hand position dictates the correct stick which is combination paddle and lie, other factors most people don't talk about are:

Blade shape - rocker vs, flat,  toe and heel shape,  curve vs tilt, paddle shoulder shape (trigger grip, double shoulder,slant, square shoulder, and any other weird unknown ones)

ITS not just one factor.

some companies measure from the shaft paddle joins,  others measure from where the paddle is at 3" as the starting point - 2 varations are from the shaft  or the paddle  top or bottom area.

NHL rule book is probably along the shaft on the paddle to the heel.  starting at where it is 3" not including the shoulder if it is under 3".

I'm going to sleep,   but its having a rocker blade like majority of pros , just look in at pretty much any photos, if stick is longer the rocker will offset the height.

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, RichMan said:

Maybe Bob has smaller hands and this helps keep a better grip for him.

No he grip like that to have the blocker square to the puck and low to cut the angle 

listen this near the end 

https://luminarypodcasts.com/listen/ingoal-magazine/ingoal-radio-podcast/episode-10-clint-malarchuk-and-the-vaughn-slr2-sergei-bobrovsky-elvis-merzlikins-and-thomas-greiss/c6705ae0-f78c-46c8-8288-dea583b023f7?country=CA

• 1 month later...

Ok so I'm 5'11 and found some sticks online that I wanted.  I measured the back of the paddle on the stick I have which are 26" but with measurement come out to 27.5".  My new Warrior sticks come in which are 27.5" when measured down the back of the paddle.  They are almost 1/2" taller than my current ones.  I guess I must have had the angle of my tape wrong or something when measuring mine.  Anyway can't return and just wondering if you think I'll notice the extra height?  It feels longer but is that just all in my head?  Would alittle less than half inch be noticable on the ice?

2 hours ago, daffy said:

Ok so I'm 5'11 and found some sticks online that I wanted.  I measured the back of the paddle on the stick I have which are 26" but with measurement come out to 27.5".  My new Warrior sticks come in which are 27.5" when measured down the back of the paddle.  They are almost 1/2" taller than my current ones.  I guess I must have had the angle of my tape wrong or something when measuring mine.  Anyway can't return and just wondering if you think I'll notice the extra height?  It feels longer but is that just all in my head?  Would alittle less than half inch be noticable on the ice?

Maybe, but after a while I think you'd adjust naturally to the half of an inch different. I can't see it being that big of a deal, especially if your original paddle size works for you.

I have been using a 26.5 Bauer Total One NXG that is more like a 25 after I messed with the paddle since October of 2019 (took me nearly 7 years to get me away from my foam cores!). Previously I used everything up to 28 inches because my stance was much more upright in my earlier days, but has become more compact over time. Last time I checked I was somewhere between 5'10 and 5'11.

3 hours ago, daffy said:

measure the shaft not the paddle .

diff is the starting point-  at the shaft to the paddle vs where the paddle ( where widith is 3") starts, the slant shoulder is not considered part of the measurement, that is the handle.  This is also true is how the rule book interprets the rule book 26".

.ending of measurement is all the way down to heel along the shaft not the paddle.

Last if the blade shape is flat on the bottom, harder to adjust then rocker.

• 7 months later...