G4 Thread

cwarnar

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/18/2020 at 1:14 PM, Puckstopper said:

I just used one of these to go over the stitching on my GT2 set that had a similar issue.   Problem fixed!  It only took about 10 minutes and once you have a sewing awl you'll find all sorts of uses for it.

http://www.speedystitcher.com/

Which type of thread did you use? I need to repair my G4s soon.

• 4 weeks later...

Unfortunately I just joined the ranks of broken palms on my G4 Sr. Glove. This really sucks because I genuinely love it. I only have 5 ice times left this year so I’m going to suck it up and finish the season with it. I kind of suspected I should have bucked up the extra cash for the pro glove but live and learn. 

This isn’t a knock on Warrior Sr. durability, I do believe they are the best in the game when it comes to cost/protection at the mid range price point. Also have the crappy kneeling binding issues that I’m going to have to fix when the seasons over but that seems to be rampant regardless the model of pad you buy.

• 1 month later...

For you guys who are using SR level leg pads how are they holding up and how long have you had them. 

I'm trying to justify getting pro pads vs SR. I play mid level beer league 1-2 times a week with random games sprinkled in. I know everyone says that warrior SR level gear is top notch And is pretty durable but I just don’t want to spend money on SR level gear if in a year or two I have to buy new stuff because it’s falling apart. 

I know protection is good I care mainly about material getting premature wear spots or stitching coming undone 

10 hours ago, Quadzilla32 said:

For you guys who are using SR level leg pads how are they holding up and how long have you had them. 

I'm trying to justify getting pro pads vs SR. I play mid level beer league 1-2 times a week with random games sprinkled in. I know everyone says that warrior SR level gear is top notch And is pretty durable but I just don’t want to spend money on SR level gear if in a year or two I have to buy new stuff because it’s falling apart. 

I know protection is good I care mainly about material getting premature wear spots or stitching coming undone 

Only thing I'd worry about on the G4's, SR or Pro, is the stitching on the knee wing. They made a poor design with the stitching/binding in that area and it's been well noted to fall apart a bit after use.

Aside from that, my R/GT Sr's held up great despite putting them through the ringer for two seasons. Senior Warrior pads hold up great.

10 hours ago, Quadzilla32 said:

I’ve only had my gear for one season but it certainly saw plenty of work (40-70 shots a game plus 4 practices a week) and is still going strong. My pads have barely soften in the thigh and the boot is super soft. The only issue I had was the binding on the knee coming unstitched but after we fixed it with stronger thread it hasn’t come undone since. The only wear spots I have are the ones where I rest my glove on top of the pad. 
BDA91EEB-7DD9-4929-AFE1-DB5423349BF5.thumb.jpeg.53d92322d304544a56873969daa3173c.jpeg

This is just one season of use. I think my use of padskinz this season shows a nice contrast between the original pad white and puck marked white. 

32 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Only thing I'd worry about on the G4's, SR or Pro, is the stitching on the knee wing. They made a poor design with the stitching/binding in that area and it's been well noted to fall apart a bit after use.

Aside from that, my R/GT Sr's held up great despite putting them through the ringer for two seasons. Senior Warrior pads hold up great.

I’ll be getting some G5’s and they went to bindingless knee stack so hopefully they fixed that issue 

did you get any issues with materials breaking down? 

24 minutes ago, ThatCarGuy said:

I’ve only had my gear for one season but it certainly saw plenty of work (40-70 shots a game plus 4 practices a week) and is still going strong. My pads have barely soften in the thigh and the boot is super soft. The only issue I had was the binding on the knee coming unstitched but after we fixed it with stronger thread it hasn’t come undone since. The only wear spots I have are the ones where I rest my glove on top of the pad. 
BDA91EEB-7DD9-4929-AFE1-DB5423349BF5.thumb.jpeg.53d92322d304544a56873969daa3173c.jpeg

This is just one season of use. I think my use of padskinz this season shows a nice contrast between the original pad white and puck marked white. 

I don’t think I’ll even see a quarter of ice time per season that you do. I play two games at the moment and very few pickups. Your week of playing is about my month of playing. I generally baby my pads and take good care of them, making sure to dry them out every time and never smash them. 

I don’t mind the idea of getting new pads every 3/4 years and keep up with the latest and greatest I just don’t want to have to get new pads because they are falling apart after a year.  

30 minutes ago, Quadzilla32 said:

I’ll be getting some G5’s and they went to bindingless knee stack so hopefully they fixed that issue 
did you get any issues with materials breaking down? 

The issue was mostly fixed by the time the GT2's came out. They raised the sliding surface form the binding and I haven't had any premature wear there yet.

For my GT1's, I didn't have any real issue with the materials breaking down. They softened up, but I had zero fears about long term durability or protection. I included a picture so you can see the difference between my used set of GT1's and my brand new GT2's. You can definitely notice the slight warping of the outer rolls as the pad gets beat up. But honestly, I could've used them for another 3-4 years without issue.

The gloves on the other hand did break down faster as is expected. The catcher was more or less fine. Some minor protection issues along the crease, but that was only here or there against ex JrB guys. Blocker plastic snapped near the end of the life of these right along the back of the hand. So that was fun for a few months.

Overall, pads held up great, gloves wore down quicker but aside from the cracked face on the blocker, the overall durability of the materials was great. I honestly wouldn't worry about wear issues in the senior Warrior gear.

Edit:

Here was my 10 month review on the set. I had it for another year and the wear concerns in the review thread never really got worse.

20190628_180815.jpg.c4fc4abed53c86edad7fc4911368117c.thumb.jpg.d8b122978f632aa083ba035907f8e2c6.jpg

Stuff looks pretty normal and that’s not a lot for being on the ice as much as you were/are. 

I planned to pick up a pro matching glove I’ve never really like SR gloves and usually at least went pro for catcher. Would you suggest getting pro blocker too or do you think it was a freak accident? 

6 minutes ago, Quadzilla32 said:

Stuff looks pretty normal and that’s not a lot for being on the ice as much as you were/are.

I planned to pick up a pro matching glove I’ve never really like SR gloves and usually at least went pro for catcher. Would you suggest getting pro blocker too or do you think it was a freak accident? 

The stuff holds up generally well.

The blocker could have been a freak accident. I haven't seen any other posts of people complaining about Warrior blocker faces breaking, so my scenario may be unique. 

Luckily with the pro stuff, you get that fancy hypercomp material and that should (in theory) allow it to hold up better.

19 minutes ago, Quadzilla32 said:

I'll echo basically what everyone is saying here. Just the binding on the knee for the G4s. Ive only ever had pro gear until recently. Picked up a pair of 3.9s and hated them and felt quality wasnt there either. Quickly sold them. The G4 seniors are great and don't feel like a senior level pad to me. I'm not on the ice all that often but they've held up great for almost 2 years now. I dont have the glove (still researching and trying different ones out) but have the G4 blocker in PRO. No major issues but the stitching did come undone within 2 months. just minor and a quick repair should fix it.

Ultimately, if this pad fits your playing style, I definitely recommend the seniors. 

3 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

The blocker could have been a freak accident. I haven't seen any other posts of people complaining about Warrior blocker faces breaking, so my scenario may be unique. 

The only issues I’ve had with sr warrior blockers is the foam denting no cracking involved here

4 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

The stuff holds up generally well.

Luckily with the pro stuff, you get that fancy hypercomp material and that should (in theory) allow it to hold up better.

My G3 Pro blocker had the plastic crack in half after about 1.5 years of use, but this was before they started putting hypercomp in the blockers, so the new ones should be a lot more durable. Since the senior level internals for Warrior are usually a year behind the pro level, I'd say it's probably that the senior level G4 is using the same internals as the G3 Pro, which doesn't have the hypercomp (@Kirk3190 can correct me if I am wrong), which may be why people were seeing issues.

That said, I am confident in the new blocker's durability enough to have just ordered a new G5 set (previously went with a Bauer 2X blocker to replace my G3). Also, the Warrior blockers have, in my opinion, the best designed and most protective finger protection of any blocker on the market.

28 minutes ago, Teezle said:

I'd say it's probably that the senior level G4 is using the same internals as the G3 Pro, which doesn't have the hypercomp

None of the senior blockers/gloves have hypercomp in them. Including the G5.

Hypercomp is only in the pro lines of G4, GT2, and G5.

2 minutes ago, Quadzilla32 said:

Just stronger rebounds? 

Catcher is more protective, blocker pops a little bit better and the sidewall is a lot more rigid.

Leg pads benefited the most as it stiffened above the knee by a considerable margin. Keep in mind I'm in GT2's, which are a softer pad than the G4's.

4 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Catcher is more protective, blocker pops a little bit better and the sidewall is a lot more rigid.

Leg pads benefited the most as it stiffened above the knee by a considerable margin. Keep in mind I'm in GT2's, which are a softer pad than the G4's.

Ok thank you for all the info you’ve been giving me, helped out a lot. 

• 3 weeks later...

Archived