Daily Chit-chat

seagoal

Fixed that for you (unless of course you are a conspiracy theorist)...

14 minutes ago, MTH said:

I blame former President Trump.

... the quicker we distance ourselves from that debacle (whether it be Democrat, Republican - whatever) the better. 

Edited by chile57

18 hours ago, insertnamehere said:

We give up on plays a lot sooner. No point in injury that might keep you out from work for a while. 

Work smarter not harder. Also, we get hurt. Just that we don't get paid to not work. So we suck it up and move on.

• Like 1

Funny.

I just threw in an application with Amtrak. So you have to do that whole fluffing up of actual work experience to sound so much more attractive. If you saw a resume with the position "night stalker", you'd totally read and remember that person. ha ha

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Scythe said:

So the NHL is canceling all games tomorrow thru Saturday? Crazy. 

Strange. I just read all but 4 players in the NHL are vaccinated. But breakthru cases happening all over. Doesn't give much confidence in the vaccine.

..."but it still prevents severe disease or death"... yes, in people over 60 or immune-compromised people. NHL players are all fit and under 40. And vaccinated. Death rates and hospitalizaions are very rare in that group. No need to stop the season.

...but ah, what the hell, let's just live in endless lockdowns, facemasks and jabs, so long as it's for our own good. When people go insane and start jumping off bridges, at least they won't be counted as a COVID deaths...

• Like 1

@estogoalie for the record there is but one unvaccinated NHLer - Tyler Bertuzzi from the Red Wings.

I'd tend to disagree with your assessment. No one said the vaccine was 100% effective. In fact - the longer this goes on the more the original vaccination effort loses efficacy. If anything the fact that nearly 100% of the league is vaccinated and we've read nothing about anyone being hospitalized despite those breakthrough cases (that are again likely due to the waning efficacy of the vaccine as well as lax diligence on preventative measures the longer this drags out, etc.) really tells us that the vaccine IS effective at preventing the stronger cases of COVID that go along with hospitalizations and the like. There are seemingly perfectly healthy folks that aren't septuagenarians or octogenarians or nonagenarians or... that have passed from this disease. Sure - those are smaller numbers in the grand scheme of things... until its somebody you know.

But - toe-may-toe/tah-mah-toe I suppose.  

Edited by chile57

17 minutes ago, estogoalie said:

Strange. I just read all but 4 players in the NHL are vaccinated. But breakthru cases happening all over. Doesn't give much confidence in the vaccine.

..."but it still prevents severe disease or death"... yes, in people over 60 or immune-compromised people. NHL players are all fit and under 40. And vaccinated. Death rates and hospitalizaions are very rare in that group. No need to stop the season.

...but ah, what the hell, let's just live in endless lockdowns, facemasks and jabs, so long as it's for our own good. When people go insane and start jumping off bridges, at least they won't be counted as a COVID deaths...

I mean, there is a larger reduction in hospitalization among all age groups when compared to vaccinated and non-vaccinated. 

Though, with a milder strain that's more infectious (like how every other endemic virus mutates) these continuing security theater measures are overstaying their welcome. 

We just had a minor "restrictions" put in place again here in BC on Friday. They're set to announce more today.

Like anyone is going to bail on their existing plans right before Christmas.

lol

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

I mean, there is a larger reduction in hospitalization among all age groups when compared to vaccinated and non-vaccinated. 

Though, with a milder strain that's more infectious (like how every other endemic virus mutates) these continuing security theater measures are overstaying their welcome. 

The problem is that the COVID outbreak is more political than medical. And you have different sides spinning their "narratives". Especially when it comes to statistics. There's an old quote, attributed to Samuel Clemens or Winston Churchill, depending who you ask. The quote is "There's lies, there's damn lies and then there's statistics". The meaning of which, is that you can twist statistics to support whatever point you want.

There's a great book on this called Spurious Correlations the author takes two random statistics that correlate, and you can draw a conclusion from. Ex. as per capita cheese consumption grew over the past years, so did deaths by people tangled in their bed-sheets. So obviously if we ban cheese, we will save people from ugly and unnecessary bedsheet deaths, right? ;) 

They do the same with COVID now. On both sides. I just read new COVID hospitalizations in the UK were 50% vaxxed 50% unvaxxed. So anti-vaxers used that point to say the vax is useless. But then you have to consider 75% or so of the population is vaxxed, so it's actually a larger percentage of unvaxxed in hospital. But then on the flip side, when you look at the age of hospitalizations, the majority is over the age of 50.

So really, it's no wonder people are angry, confused and untrusting about the whole situation. 

correlation.jpg

• Like 5

So much to say about the COVID discussion, but I'm gonna pass.

BUT...I get my new skates tomorrow! My mother-in-law called me and said "I hear you can't use your skates anymore."  "Umm, weeeeeell, that's not exactly true. My skates are fine."  "Well I hear they are old and your most worn out piece of gear."  "Yes, that is true, for sure."  "Ok, I want to buy you new skates for Christmas."  "Yes, now we're talking, thank you so much, that is very kind of you."

:)

I'm pretty excited.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, seagoal said:

So much to say about the COVID discussion, but I'm gonna pass.

BUT...I get my new skates tomorrow! My mother-in-law called me and said "I hear you can't use your skates anymore."  "Umm, weeeeeell, that's not exactly true. My skates are fine."  "Well I hear they are old and your most worn out piece of gear."  "Yes, that is true, for sure."  "Ok, I want to buy you new skates for Christmas."  "Yes, now we're talking, thank you so much, that is very kind of you."

:)

I'm pretty excited.

letter-kenny-must-be-nice.gif.34b4fc94cd856472a0aa4369cf95e302.gif

• Haha 1

Just now, coopaloop1234 said:

What no Ultrasonics?

Tell your partner that's grounds for divorce.

It'd be difficult to justify an upgrade from S190s to Ultrasonics.  I'm brave but not that brave.  

I've always been fairly meh about skates (and pants) and I really enjoyed my S190s. These will be perfect.

I've found that the other part of the equation in going with the bottom or mid tier as opposed to the top tier is that there's often a lot more give in the skate(s) in the lower tiers while the top end ones are stiff as a board. Unless you're bigger and premature skate breakdown is a cause for concern - I prefer the more forgiving boot. Its why I've generally leaned to the mid tier on skates (despite my goalie id trying to talk me into the newest, shiniest toy ☺️). 

Edited by chile57