Daily Chit-chat

seagoal

3 hours ago, seagoal said:

They are great. I haven't tried a whole lot of knee pads over the years: a couple different Velocity ones and one pair of older CCM ones.  I either found those to be very uncomfortable to land on, not protective enough in the thigh, or both.  I take a lot of pucks to the knee/thigh area and the Warrior Pro+ ones are tanks. Plus, the long, segmented landing area is so comfortable and supportive.  Big fan of these. 

I don't take a lot of pucks to the knee/thigh but a one timer the other week caught me there as hard as one ever will and while I felt it, it didn't render my leg useless. 

I've pretty much just used Bauers, PAW (also very good), and Warrior. Can't see any reason to move away from Warrior. 

• Like 1

On 2/25/2022 at 11:33 AM, Wonder35 said:

FTFY........

I didn't say that. Please don't use the quote thing and change what I said. I'm not political, so don't make it seem like I'm opinionated on guns or whatever.

I'm not. I don't dislike them nor do I own any.

Just my huge arms. lol.

• 2 weeks later...

Well after two and half months of searching and putting in bids, I've finally managed to purchase an upgraded home for my soon to be family.

Luckily I'll also be keeping my previous property and will be renting it out too. #slumlord

Wedding, New House, Baby, and potentially a new job in a years span.

200.gif.fb796dcb13115e0422467d02370c906c.gif

• Like 6

3 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Well after two and half months of searching and putting in bids, I've finally managed to purchase an upgraded home for my soon to be family.

Luckily I'll also be keeping my previous property and will be renting it out too. #slumlord

Wedding, New House, Baby, and potentially a new job in a years span.

200.gif.fb796dcb13115e0422467d02370c906c.gif

Queue the Living Colour song “Open Letter to a Landlord”…

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, MTH said:

Welcome to the old dude club and congrats.

I did the same with renting out my old house. Pros and cons. Slum lord I was not. It's a lot of work. Good luck.

Gracias. I've had two friends that did the slumlord thing. One bowed out early due to the extra work, the other has done it well and it's been paying off.

Long term, the short term pain seems worth it. Especially in the "it only goes up 10% per year" housing market that is Vancouver.

1 hour ago, bunnyman666 said:

Queue the Living Colour song “Open Letter to a Landlord”…

Showing my age here, but that came out when I was maybe a year old lol

1 hour ago, seagoal said:

Whoa Coop, you're doing all the things. Congrats man, that is some huge life stuff and a lot of change. Remember to breathe and drink beer and keep playing hockey, haha. 

Congrats bro, we love you .

Pandemic put a lot of things on pause, so the wife and I are fast tracking it to the end. I'm mostly kidding as the new place was mostly forced by us expecting. We're taking a lot on at once, but hey, now's the time.

With my new mortgage and kid I won't be able to afford beer. :P

• Like 2

2 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Gracias. I've had two friends that did the slumlord thing. One bowed out early due to the extra work, the other has done it well and it's been paying off.

Long term, the short term pain seems worth it. Especially in the "it only goes up 10% per year" housing market that is Vancouver.

Showing my age here, but that came out when I was maybe a year old lol

Pandemic put a lot of things on pause, so the wife and I are fast tracking it to the end. I'm mostly kidding as the new place was mostly forced by us expecting. We're taking a lot on at once, but hey, now's the time.

With my new mortgage and kid I won't be able to afford beer. :P

• Like 1

Also I’m a eflex type of guy. I like the pucks I’m front of me.  I’m to fat and old to get back over to the other side of the net. Like the puck to stop in front of me. So I can whack at ankles.  
all and all im a soft pad goalie. And a ccm hardcore. I have tried them all and always go back to ccm. 

1 hour ago, raidersgoalie said:

Also I’m a eflex type of guy. I like the pucks I’m front of me.  I’m to fat and old to get back over to the other side of the net. Like the puck to stop in front of me. So I can whack at ankles.  
all and all im a soft pad goalie. And a ccm hardcore. I have tried them all and always go back to ccm. 

Axis 2 is an extremely hard pad designed to kick pucks out. Eflex with the control foam face would be your best bet within ccm. I believe @TheGoalNet got the control foam face. 

Edited by ThatCarGuy

17 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Best thing is to have a good contract in place. Also get a copy of it you can use and edit later. Repairs, rules, renewal and most importantly, rate increases.  I used a realtor to help get my house listed and find a decent tenant. After that, I was able to find them on my own and save the realtor's cut. You will be shocked at the crap that will look at your place and apply. You see some that move every 6 months (eviction) and will apply with you like you're some poor sucker. Some will have 12 pit bulls and ask if you're ok with it.

One of the biggest things in it was about renewing several months before the end of the lease. This way you had time to start showing the place. Auto renewal, etc. Your taxes and all will increase, so it's important that you make sure that your rent increases accordingly too. 

We made deals with tenants we liked so that we didn't have to find new ones again. Tenants that pay on time and don't destroy your old home are golden. The money we saved not having to rebuild the place in the end was worth cutting rent some. Conversely, going total slum lord and to maintain the house just enough to be livable likely makes more money. I just had a hard time seeing my old home that I still loved get roughed up.

I used the place for tax writeoffs and all. Helped a lot the year we sold it. I don't miss the stress.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MTH said:

Best thing is to have a good contract in place. Also get a copy of it you can use and edit later. Repairs, rules, renewal and most importantly, rate increases.  I used a realtor to help get my house listed and find a decent tenant. After that, I was able to find them on my own and save the realtor's cut. You will be shocked at the crap that will look at your place and apply. You see some that move every 6 months (eviction) and will apply with you like you're some poor sucker. Some will have 12 pit bulls and ask if you're ok with it.

One of the biggest things in it was about renewing several months before the end of the lease. This way you had time to start showing the place. Auto renewal, etc. Your taxes and all will increase, so it's important that you make sure that your rent increases accordingly too. 

We made deals with tenants we liked so that we didn't have to find new ones again. Tenants that pay on time and don't destroy your old home are golden. The money we saved not having to rebuild the place in the end was worth cutting rent some. Conversely, going total slum lord and to maintain the house just enough to be livable likely makes more money. I just had a hard time seeing my old home that I still loved get roughed up.

I used the place for tax writeoffs and all. Helped a lot the year we sold it. I don't miss the stress.

There's some immediate pro and cons that I'm weighing in determining if we are going to keep the place or not.

One major factor is that the housing market here is just in general nuts for both renting and buying. This absolutely can play into my favour through keeping a higher rent price to cover all expenses + taxes as well as being as choosy as I want for a tenant. It also, in theory, allows me to the opportunity to build a good rapport with a good tenant in the idea that we both benefit from the relationship.

My place doesn't get trashed and I get paid on time, they get a landlord that's responsive and not trying to gouge them. But I'm fairly certain that's a byproduct of my nativity of being a first time landlord. I know full well that I'll get some absolute duds. 

Wife and I are still mulling over whether we're going to keep the place, or cash out now and alleviate us the stress of maintaining a second location while also getting a head start on a college investment for the kid(s).

We've got just shy of four months to make our mind up.