Future Retired Numbers

The Teal Terror

Hey all,

With some big names retiring and subsequently having they’re numbers retired, it got me thinking about future retired numbers.

Now, the NHL.com writers clearly had the same idea as me 😁. Who do you think will definitely have they’re number retired?

Whether it be goalie or skater, which team hasn’t had any retired yet? Who will be the first? Who would you like to see have they’re number retired? Who is a definite?

Purely for fun!

I’ll start off, being a Sharks mega fan, by saying Marleau is a definite.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, seagoal said:

You guys heard of a guy named Fleury, a goalie?  He's pretty good and no spring chicken...but which rafters will hang his number? Pittsburgh sure, but it's been a while since he played there now.

If not, that would be CRIMINAL. Love the Flower. Great goaler! Cool bloke!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, seagoal said:

You guys heard of a guy named Fleury, a goalie?  He's pretty good and no spring chicken...but which rafters will hang his number? Pittsburgh sure, but it's been a while since he played there now.

I think that’s a definite for sure. Quick too. But apart from that, goalie wise, not much else. I can’t think of a current goalie who has been with a team as long as Quick has. Before Lundy and Rinne, no one else comes to mind.

Price has played well with the Habs for a long time. But their standards for retiring a number are quite lofty. He's well under them.

Problem with current players is that their duration with the teams isn't what it once was. Even durations of player careers is shorter than ever.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ThatCarGuy said:

I imagine the Stars have at least mentioned to Bishop about retiring 30. Would be pretty cool for a guy that graduated high school in north Texas and played juniors in west Texas. 

Ed is looking for Bishop's name on the cup..

Belfour, Turco, Ludwig among participants in Dallas Stars Alumni  Association game Feb. 27

Belfour's #20 isn't retired.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, MTH said:

Belfour, Turco, Ludwig among participants in Dallas Stars Alumni  Association game Feb. 27

Was gonna say, I can think of way more influential goalies on Dallas than Bishop who played all of three seasons.

As for the topic:

- Quick will get a nod,

- would be funny to see Luongo get his jersey retired in Canucks. Imagine having your number retired in two locations. That would pump some tires.

- Fleury is an interesting choice. Dude had his large playoff struggles with the Penguins and was essentially run out of town. Vegas gave him a second wind.

- Vasilevsky is far too early, but he's made a hell of a case already.

-

Edited by coopaloop1234
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, seagoal said:

I think Pittsburgh has at least three: 87, 29 and 71 that will surely go up. They all have the hardware.

They should also retire the NHL draft scam that allowed them to draft MAF, Malkin and then Crosby back to back to back years due to the lockout. MAF and Crosby were first overall. Malkin was second to Ovi. Coincidentally was the same time that the Penguins were being left for dead and Lemieux had to step in to keep them alive. The NHL made sure they helped keep them around for him...

Just sayin'

Letang was 62nd overall in the same rigged 2005 draft they got Sid. Real good player. Three cups. But I can't see them hanging his number up. Maybe a few years down the line when they need some type of interest for a reunion of the cup teams from that time. Throw him a bone get the fans to all wear their stuff from that era again.

The top teams in the rigged 2005 draft lottery were: Blue Jackets, Rangers, Sabres and Pens. No way that the NHL would let Sid go to waste with teams that didn't have the previous top years picks ready to go like Pittsburgh did.  

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, MTH said:

I think the reason they haven’t retired #20 is the same reason Turco is the “local” face of the stars for goalies off the ice 😉

image.jpeg.8b3e727c091d76a642a5e11ece7dbc2e.jpeg
Seriously though Turco’s face is on everything down here

image.thumb.png.f57ed2322a4299fabc10552f8dd19a4b.png
Interesting to note as well that Kari Lehtonen was in net at the stars alumni classic instead of the usual Turco

Edited by ThatCarGuy
  • Like 1

Heck, Andy Moog deserves to have his number retired before Bishop too. Moog played 4 years (as opposed to Bishop's 3) with the Stars. I think Andy Moog should be in the HoF too, but that's another story.

Bishop was a finalist for the Venzia three times. He also was on the roster of the Dallas team that lost to the Lightning. (Did he even play in the finals?) So I can see how the Stars would surely want to retire his number.

This is the beauty of pro sports. Arguing who should be retired and who shouldn't. Old guys (like me) saying that some old crusty player is way better than some star from today.

I had the same debates with my dad for years. lol.

When my grandfather died I put a baseball in his coffin with the quote on it how sports is the common link between generations. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, motowngoalie said:

When Jim Devellano dies, I'd like to see Fedorov's 91 being retired by Detroit. It's a pretty controversial topic among fans. 

For active players, Patrice Bergeron comes to mind. Some of the players from Chicago's 2010's teams have a chance, too. 

Definitely Kane and Towes.

2 hours ago, MTH said:

Bishop was a finalist for the Venzia three times. He also was on the roster of the Dallas team that lost to the Lightning. (Did he even play in the finals?) So I can see how the Stars would surely want to retire his number.

He played two of the exhibition games and one actual game against Colorado where he was terrible.

26 minutes ago, A.YOUNGoalie13 said:

32 Quick

29 Fleury

88 Vasilevski

31 Shesterkin (at this rate)

36 Gibson

31 Price

And for the love of god put cujo in the hall of fame.

Gibson has very little playoff games, let alone success in them. Unless they can turn that team around I don't see it.

I love Gibson and he's absolutely being robbed of his best years in Anaheim, but I feel like some sort of playoff success needs to happen for anyone to have their number retired.

Shesterkin is way too early. Dude is a stud, but he's never played a full season and has one game under his belt in the playoffs where he wasn't spectacular.

Some good names coming up! 

I’ll jut in now. Sharks, for me is, as I initially said, 12 for Marleau, I’d like to see 39 and 88 too.

It’s hard to think of a goalie, apart from the obvious, because as aforementioned, goalies compared to skaters, don’t tend to stay with a team much longer than 4-5 years currently. But, there are some definite long time retired goalies that deserve either jersey retirement and/or HoF induction.

53 minutes ago, insertnamehere said:

Jumbo just needs that 4 goal game and accompanying antics and he's a lock. 

Someone said Vasy's too soon, if he retired tomorrow I can see it. 200+ wins, multiple cups, how would you not?

Dicks out.

That someone was me. He's still so young that there's plenty of time for things to go astray. That being said, he's just been so good for his time there, it's hard not to already lock him in to a retired jersey / HHOF ballot.

21 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

He played two of the exhibition games and one actual game against Colorado where he was terrible.

Gibson has very little playoff games, let alone success in them. Unless they can turn that team around I don't see it.

I love Gibson and he's absolutely being robbed of his best years in Anaheim, but I feel like some sort of playoff success needs to happen for anyone to have their number retired.

Shesterkin is way too early. Dude is a stud, but he's never played a full season and has one game under his belt in the playoffs where he wasn't spectacular.

I agree with what you said about Gibson, I just said him because if he was on a better team he may already have a cup. The guy is a god and gets overshadowed by rough ducks teams. Shesterkin is wayyyy to early that’s why I said “at this rate” because the dude is absolutely dominating. No comments on my cujo line though??? 

On 3/1/2022 at 12:43 PM, A.YOUNGoalie13 said:

32 Quick  No, HOF MAYBE, but not worthy of having his number retired

29 Fleury   No, as mentioned above his most noteworthy success came in Vegas.  They could retire his number (and should) but doing so would dig back up the ugly way they ran him out of town. 

88 Vasilevski   Hard to argue that with back to back Cup championships he's not deserving.   A 3rd Cup would make it a lead-pipe lock.

31 Shesterkin (at this rate)  Way to early.   Could be the next Jim Carey.

36 Gibson   O.......K.......   I suppose maybe on the Ducks, but he wouldn't be considered on a team with more history.

31 Price    Pretty good chance this happens.

And for the love of god put cujo in the hall of fame.   Yes!   The dude was fantastic everywhere he played other than Detroit, and that was just a terrible fit.   Not his fault at all. 

32 Quick  No, HOF MAYBE, but not worthy of having his number retired

29 Fleury   No, as mentioned above his most noteworthy success came in Vegas.  They could retire his number (and should) but doing so would dig back up the ugly way they ran him out of town. 

88 Vasilevski   Hard to argue that with back to back Cup championships he's not deserving.   A 3rd Cup would make it a lead-pipe lock.

31 Shesterkin (at this rate)  Way to early.   Could be the next Jim Carey.

36 Gibson   O.......K.......   I suppose maybe on the Ducks, but he wouldn't be considered on a team with more history.

31 Price    Pretty good chance this happens.

And for the love of god put cujo in the hall of fame.   Yes!   The dude was fantastic everywhere he played other than Detroit, and that was just a terrible fit.   Not his fault at all. 

Edited by Puckstopper
  • Like 2