New goalie stick - what do you recommend?

Big2

So on Monday at his weekly goalie on ice training my son's CCM pro stick paddle broke after taking a shot! Extremely disappointed since it's less than 6 months old.

For the last 2 years he had been using the Sherwood T120 - which he loved but we can find anymore since they where sold to a retailer here in Canada. 

I would like to understand what would be the other options out there and especially your thoughts in regards to life expectancy I HATE spending money on sticks!

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think a stick is a personal preference especially with the weight. Some mind it and some not...and yes the lighter the stick the bigger hole it will create for your wallet. Always been a fan of the Reebok/CCM composite sticks.... they actually lasted for at least 2 years. 

Using P2 sticks now. 

5 hours ago, Big2 said:

So on Monday at his weekly goalie on ice training my son's CCM pro stick paddle broke after taking a shot! Extremely disappointed since it's less than 6 months old.

For the last 2 years he had been using the Sherwood T120 - which he loved but we can find anymore since they where sold to a retailer here in Canada. 

I would like to understand what would be the other options out there and especially your thoughts in regards to life expectancy I HATE spending money on sticks!

How old is your son? If he used it something like 6 time per week, I think the stick did it job well.  

On 7/31/2018 at 10:55 PM, Big2 said:

If you can get a Sher-Wood BPM150, I’d go with that

If not, I’d rank the other similar sticks in order like this

- CCM P2

- True 6.0

- CR1 

I’d probably steer clear clear of Bauer. Not at al because it’s a bad stick, just because it’s way different than Sher-Wood. 

If he wants a Bauer go 2S and not 2S Pro, again 2S Pro is good stick. It’s just the furthest thing from Sher-Wood on the market 

I’ve used all models above 

2 hours ago, creasecollector said:

Have you ever thought about a CCM Pro Foam Core stick? You’ll save money, plus it’s a lot more durable. 

1 hour ago, MTH said:

Goalie Monkey has the blank CCM foam cores for $40. I just ordered one.

Used CCM foam core (the old Pro Stock models) for years now and love them. They're light as hell and super durable.

3 hours ago, creasecollector said:

Have you ever thought about a CCM Pro Foam Core stick? You’ll save money, plus it’s a lot more durable. 

How is it more durable? 

Foam core sticks get softer over time. Composites stay more consistent over use 

14 hours ago, Big2 said:

im in a GS350 wood core with the Brodeur Curve, had it since December and little to no durability issues. I took 2 shots off the blade and heel that cracked but they were shots from Isles forward Matt Martin at a hockey camp I went to so my stick didnt really stand a chance lol. Great stick overall, on the heavier side but its a great stick from Sherwood.

8 hours ago, creasecollector said:

??

4 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

How is it more durable? 

This...foam cores also chunk out at the heel, delaminate and splinter at the shaft, and lose their pop after taking and receiving shots.

I switched to a composite a few months ago (Warrior CR1) and haven't looked back, I got sick of replacing delaminated shafts. 

I've actually switched from the CR1 to the Bauer 2S Pro and have been really pleased with it.

4 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

How is it more durable? 

More durable in the sense that it could last longer before breaking than a composite stick. No guarantees obviously, but that has always seem to be the way it goes. Composites are light but not as durable. Foam Core sticks aren't as light but will last you a long time. Sure, Foam Cores get soft and don't feel as nice, but you can still use it. That's what I meant by durability. Sorry for any confusion.

I use both composite and foam core CCM sticks right now. 

17 minutes ago, creasecollector said:

More durable in the sense that it could last longer before breaking than a composite stick. No guarantees obviously, but that has always seem to be the way it goes. Composites are light but not as durable. Foam Core sticks aren't as light but will last you a long time. Sure, Foam Cores get soft and don't feel as nice, but you can still use it. That's what I meant by durability. Sorry for any confusion.

I use both composite and foam core CCM sticks right now. 

This depends on how you define "breaking."

Rendered useless from foam chunking out of the heel or shaft delamination are areas I would consider. 
You can still use the stick to stop shots, but you will experience a pretty sizable decline in your ability to handle the puck.

29 minutes ago, Chenner29 said:

This depends on how you define "breaking."

Rendered useless from foam chunking out of the heel or shaft delamination are areas I would consider. 
You can still use the stick to stop shots, but you will experience a pretty sizable decline in your ability to handle the puck.

For sure. 

As a goalie who doesn't play the puck much, breaking for me is when a stick can no longer be used to stop a puck. Shaft or blade breaks in half, etc. 

Which is why, since OP doesn't like spending money on new sticks all the time, I recommended a CCM Foam Core because of the longer durability (to use the stick to stop shots), rather than a composite which may break in another 6 months, depending on how much his son uses his stick in games and/or practices. 

if u llike the stick send it in to northstart stick and have them duplicate it and stiffen up the blade and shaft and whatever else. don't rist using a pattern that the kid is not going to like if he likes what he has.

5 hours ago, DL42 said:

if u llike the stick send it in to northstart stick and have them duplicate it and stiffen up the blade and shaft and whatever else. don't rist using a pattern that the kid is not going to like if he likes what he has.

Good suggestion too, Northstar makes some quality twigs

northstarsticks.com

A three pack of factory overruns is $165 - 10% USD, slightly more than a single brand name stick

8 hours ago, Big2 said:

Guys where can we source Sherwood - like I said they where sold and I can't find them in Montreal?

Sorry but I am looking for composite sticks onlu

The Goaliemonkey retail store near me in California stocks them.

You may be able to find them at the Montreal store.

L’Expérience MonkeySports – Montreal, Canada 61 Brunswick – H Dollard-des-Ormeaux QC H9B 2N4 Canada

Phone: (514) 542-4600 Email: info.mtl@monkeysports.com

4 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

The Goaliemonkey retail store near me in California stocks them.

You may be able to find them at the Montreal store.

L’Expérience MonkeySports – Montreal, Canada 61 Brunswick – H Dollard-des-Ormeaux QC H9B 2N4 Canada

Phone: (514) 542-4600 Email: info.mtl@monkeysports.com

I grew up right near there - even bought my own foam-core stick there while visiting family back in April! My now ex-bro in law who works as a sales rep for Bauer (and got me SFA for my goalie adventure; like, not even a fucking shirt!) hates that store, as it may put him out of a job. Ergo, I fully support any and all purchases at that particular store.

Of course, if you're not from that area @Big2 then you probably don't want to go into the "Waste Island" - LOL!

On 8/1/2018 at 1:06 PM, TheGoalNet said:

How is it more durable? 

I have an old Bauer Supreme composite stick that feels off. I think the composites do break down too.

For youth baseball bats, the composite bats 'break in' and get more pop. There's even people who roll them in a press to help break them in faster. I figure hockey sticks would also break in too and get more flexy with time.

Flexy time... I like!

45185b6ed6a32.jpg

Archived