2018-2019 NHL Gear Sitings

Steph Lawa

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, stackem30 said:

@BadAngle41 I suppose I could have been a bit more clear with my phrasing — the term "gimmick" is a bit loaded, and I didn't mean it in an entirely dismissive way.

I don't think SpeedSkin (and the like) is a gimmick in the sense that it has no effect on sliding (dude, nice physics work... brings me back to high school). I'm sure there is some benefit to them, and if I were a professional goalie, I'd almost assuredly want it on my pads. Why not? It can't hurt, and at that level, you want every single competitive advantage.

I think it's a "gimmick" in the sense that it's a pretty minor feature that gear companies will try to sell as essential, groundbreaking, etc. I'm not faulting them — that's how marketing works, especially in a market like goalie gear where (let's take off our gear nerd glasses for a second) everything is pretttty much the same. Every year, there are a few new features (bungees, velcro straps, loops, a new foam) that these companies need to sell people on in order to convince them that this year's pad better than last year's pad — or that it's slightly better than the competitor's pad.

CCM isn't going to sell lots of new, expensive leg pads by saying, "So we put SpeedSkin on these pads — in theory, this could help you slide faster. Not sure how much of a difference it will make, but can't hurt, right?" No way, they've got to say that this is going to make moving around easier, faster, and will be the difference between you making a save or not. They want to convince people that SpeedSkin will give them a legitimate competitive advantage, and make them a more successful goalie. 

I'm not saying SpeedSkin is snake oil, or that it doesn't do anything. I'm saying it's a feature that companies need to sell people on, and that it's value inevitably get overhyped. I don't think SpeedSkin is giving anyone a distinctive competitive advantage, or that it's responsible for an NHL goalie having a great week of hockey. Personally, I'd be skeptical as to whether SpeedSkin was the sole difference in a goalie making a save vs. allowing a goal this season. Either way, I don't think it's elevating the position, and I don't think it would be a loss that would set goalies back if it were to be banned in the future. And I certainly don't think it has anything to do with NHL attendance...

I completely agree. I still use Jenpro although I will be picking up a set of 2X... not because of the slide factor though. To single out Speedskin... from how people who wear it describe it... the coefficient of static friction may actually be higher than jenpro (harder to get moving) but has a lower coefficient of kinetic friction (stays moving better.)

5 minutes ago, ThatCarGuy said:

I'm taking notes in case I decide to revive the "Brakes are Important Too" thread.

HA. I get where you're coming from on it... but IMO... brakes can be found in the land where strength and its judicious use meet... the magical place called technique.

3 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Related image

numbers and graphs and big words and stuff

HA... you really have to appreciate the dedication to a single color with that setup. You have a jacket (i'm assuming he has sweatpants on), vest, shirt, and tie all in differing tones of the same color. Although that is quite a tan for someone who usually only sees light as it emanates from a monitor/tv.

10 minutes ago, BadAngle41 said:

HA... you really have to appreciate the dedication to a single color with that setup. You have a jacket (i'm assuming he has sweatpants on), vest, shirt, and tie all in differing tones of the same color. Although that is quite a tan for someone who usually only sees light as it emanates from a monitor/tv.

For a guy who's into aliens and cosmology, he sure sports a lot of earth tones...

1 hour ago, stackem30 said:

For a guy who's into aliens and cosmology, he sure sports a lot of earth tones...

ANYWAYS...here's a sweet, simple, yet detailed set. 

BB190223SE052.jpg

Joel Lassinatti - a goalie many NHL scouts missed when they were too busy fawning over his backup. Then again NHL is sizeist and he's listed at "176 cm", which means he's probably closer 5'7'' than 5'9''.

45 minutes ago, Moose75 said:

tumblr_owdtss2izh1ryu357o5_250.gif

BB190223SE052.jpg

Joel Lassinatti - a goalie many NHL scouts missed when they were too busy fawning over his backup. Then again NHL is sizeist and he's listed at "176 cm", which means he's probably closer 5'7'' than 5'9''.

You're not helping his case by promulgating a picture where an imminent goal is clearly going in over his shoulder - LOL!

1 hour ago, Moose75 said:

BB190223SE052.jpg

Goddamn Moose, I didn't even remember that line — solid callback reference for you and I. This scene is still my mental go-to for discussing color with muted tones, but you win.

2 hours ago, Lucky Pucker said:

You're not helping his case by promulgating a picture where an imminent goal is clearly going in over his shoulder - LOL!

Can't infer that in this pic: I see it also having just bounced off the post or x-bar or blocker or helmet, or a shot that's going across the goalmouth and out the other side...

18 minutes ago, Colander said:

Can't infer that in this pic: I see it also having just bounced off the post or x-bar or blocker or helmet, or a shot that's going across the goalmouth and out the other side...

Ok, so 1 or 2 of your alternative interpretations also involve the puck going over him, which was what I was saying. But really I was just making a joke; I thought with a user name like “Colander” - which I always thought was a great name, BTW! - you’d catch that. Meh - probably poor execution on my part. My kids don’t think I’m funny either. Cheerfully withdrawn.

10 minutes ago, Lucky Pucker said:

Ok, so 1 or 2 of your alternative interpretations also involve the puck going over him, which was what I was saying. But really I was just making a joke; I thought with a user name like “Colander” - which I always thought was a great name, BTW! - you’d catch that. Meh - probably poor execution on my part. My kids don’t think I’m funny either. Cheerfully withdrawn.

Yeah my name is "Colander" because apparently one game someone on the bench told someone else he shouldn't call me a sieve - colander was more appropriate because it has bigger holes. I'm also 5' 7-1/2" -  yeah I have to count the half inches!

No problems I got the joke,  just making sure the little guy doesn't get sold short (ba dum tish)!! (It's all good as the young kids say 😉)

And BTW - forget about not thinking you're funny - it's when they say "just drop me off  here" and it's a half mile form where they are going because they are so embarrassed by you - one part of me is sad ,the other says, yeah I doing my job as a parent well.

7 hours ago, BadAngle41 said:

In no particular order... @MTH@Moose75, @keeperton, @AG37@stackem30, @southpawtendy48, @ThatCarGuy... some food for thought in regards to the current scoring situation in the NHL... love it or hate it... and for a number of combined reasons... scoring is up.

"A total of 7,748 goals (including 86 shootout-deciding goals) were scored during 1,282 regular-season NHL games during the 2018 calendar year, an average of 6.04 per game. The 7,748 goals were the most-ever scored in one calendar year in NHL history, shattering the previous mark of 7,410 set in 2006." - https://www.nhl.com/news/facts-and-figures-for-2018-in-nhl/c-303446112

Sliding surfaces (Warrior's case less applicable to an NHL argument but included nonetheless) aren't gimmicky at all. Each does reduce the amount of force to get a pad sliding (overcoming static friction) and the amount of force to keep a pad sliding (overcoming kinetic friction.) These materials and configurations simply aim to reduce the coefficients of friction, which is only one factor of these equations. In our case the resulting leg strength it takes to overcome these forces of friction largely resides in the mass being applied. Two things the NHL cannot regulate, the size of a goaltender and how strong their legs are. So while materials like composites and to a degree sliding surfaces are a constant arms race... I can't see the NHL making a case for these materials to be banned. It just doesn't add up to significant advantage for the goaltender.

Static Friction: Fs max being the amount of force it would take to overcome Static Friction

Fs max=μsFn... where μs=Coefficient of Static Friction and Fn=Force Normal (Mass * Force of Gravity)

Fs max=(0.2)(100 kg)(9.8m/s2)

Fs max=196N So a goalie at 100kg (220 lbs) would need to exert 196N of force to overcome Static Friction and make his pads slide.

Drop 9 kg (20lbs) vs. μs Reduction

177.8N =(0.2)(90.7 kg)(9.8m/s2) vs. 186.2N =(0.19)(100 kg)(9.8m/s2)

4A9F8245-7FF4-4034-91E6-FD4276363E7B.jpeg

4 hours ago, Lucky Pucker said:

True, but it's the same goal lots of NHL guys have been giving up every other night, so he'll fit right in!

3 hours ago, stackem30 said:

Goddamn Moose, I didn't even remember that line — solid callback reference for you and I. This scene is still my mental go-to for discussing color with muted tones, but you win.

I rediscovered the plethora of Albert's awesome insults after re-watching the whole series during my recovery. "Blithering hayseed", for example, is an excellent one. They probably work on the ice, too!

On 3/22/2019 at 10:53 AM, Moose75 said:

BB190223SE052.jpg

On 3/22/2019 at 11:40 AM, Lucky Pucker said:

So he lets in goals the same way I do with the same height.

Comforting.

On 3/24/2019 at 9:42 AM, Lucky Pucker said:

Less-so for me, as I’m 5’11 and letting those kinds of goals in like it was going out of style! 

Christ, I'm 6'2" and I let those in. If the President saw me play, he'd declare another national emergency.

On 3/22/2019 at 12:27 PM, BadAngle41 said:

I'm not sure if you meant Statistics or Static Friction... but either way I've done more than alright.

With 1 team added since the 2006... and removing the 86 shootout deciding goals... goals/game is nearly identical at 5.977 for  2018 and 5.976 for 2006. So yes adding a team has increased regulation scoring almost exactly by the factor of teams added. How about Goal/Regular Season Games Played (G/GP) and Goals/Team (G/Team)... since 2005-2006 season... there has been an increase in scoring in the past decade... no matter how you're slicing it...

image.png.5d751ec082cbb614de8dcea8feac7fa4.png

How many PDHs do I get for looking at this?

1 hour ago, cwarnar said:

Rinne going to the dark side via GGN on Insta

1967797908_ScreenShot2019-03-27at10_21_49AM.png.0478b162b48e0617c4b406051683675c.png

I know we all complained about guys having too much white or not enough color, but all these full color sets lately are starting to overkill it for me. But I'm happy to see it at the same time. 

PS: I'm a grumpy young man and also hate things like the "forced personality" of the 'Canes dumb celebrations. NHL players tend to be cardboard, so making them show manufactured personality just feels empty and a shallow, desperate attempt to gain fans.

Anyways...here's me contradicting myself with a rad colored set from NCAA action:

46561314195_5183386da6_o.jpg

2 minutes ago, Moose75 said:

I know we all complained about guys having too much white or not enough color, but all these full color sets lately are starting to overkill it for me. But I'm happy to see it at the same time.

Overkill? Are you kidding me! 90% of the league is still using white based sets. Seeing some guys using colored sets it's such a great thing to see. Retailers are still rarely offering any dark base set as stock...

1 minute ago, cwarnar said:

Overkill? Are you kidding me! 90% of the league is still using white based sets. Seeing some guys using colored sets it's such a great thing to see. Retailers are still rarely offering any dark base set as stock...

Probably. Figure: Smith, DeSmith, Price, Fleury, Saros, Rinne, Hart, Mrazek, Lehner, Crawford, Miller, Vasy & Domingue (alts only).

Maybe what I mean is that I like more than just one, or barely two colors in an all color set. Just personal opinion. I don't feel so strongly about it to actually argue one way or the other.

Archived