NHL 2019-2020 Gear Sightings

Steph Lawa

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, raucebyalien said:

Dominik Hrachovina (Ambri-Piotta - Swiss NLA) sporting some 'CCM' Warriors 🤣 and Prolaces. I believe he's been on TGN before asking for glove advice - not sure if this one is another Bona Hallikainen replica of a old Warrior R1.

Screen Shot 2019-08-31 at 15.04.49.png

Is that glove a two piece Vaughn?

On 8/31/2019 at 5:13 PM, raucebyalien said:

Dominik Hrachovina (Ambri-Piotta - Swiss NLA) sporting some 'CCM' Warriors 🤣 and Prolaces. I believe he's been on TGN before asking for glove advice - not sure if this one is another Bona Hallikainen replica of a old Warrior R1.

Screen Shot 2019-08-31 at 15.04.49.png

Earlier he used to use Varusteverstas modified Warriors.. And glove has been old Warrior too

18 minutes ago, Lucky Pucker said:

“Spoky” vibes in Calgary? Shouldn’t that have more of a wagon wheels and stampede theme? This bespoke mask doesn’t look very spoky to me!

Dave might think he’s the cradle of creativity, but he’s crap at copy editing.

It's a meme thing. I would've gone with "spoopy", personally, but "spoky" was not a copy editing mistake.

20 minutes ago, CJ Boiss said:

It's a meme thing. I would've gone with "spoopy", personally, but "spoky" was not a copy editing mistake.

Really? I assumed “spooky” was intended, given the ghostbusters theme throughout the paint job, and that “spoky” was a typo. But then I’m old enough to remember when spelling correctly was still important (and old enough to preclude any chance of being able to keep up with all the meme things). 

Had a search for “spoky”, and while it’s there on the inter webs, it’s pretty deeply buried. Seems an odd choice when “spooky” would have resonated with more people. 

3 minutes ago, Lucky Pucker said:

Really? I assumed “spooky” was intended, given the ghostbusters theme throughout the paint job, and that “spoky” was a typo. But then I’m old enough to remember when spelling correctly was still important (and old enough to preclude any chance of being able to keep up with all the meme things). 

Had a search for “spoky”, and while it’s there on the inter webs, it’s pretty deeply buried. Seems an odd choice when “spooky” would have resonated with more people. 

I've never heard of Spoky either

1 hour ago, Lucky Pucker said:

“Spoky” vibes in Calgary? Shouldn’t that have more of a wagon wheels and stampede theme? This bespoke mask doesn’t look very spoky to me!

Dave might think he’s the cradle of creativity, but he’s crap at copy editing.

50 minutes ago, Lucky Pucker said:

19 minutes ago, keeperton said:

Spoky is a thing, albeit much less of a thing than spoopy for sure.

I want to see the mask with all the gear, that could make it much more interesting.

I can't wait for Halloween this year.  It's gonna be so spoky

8 hours ago, CJ Boiss said:

From a design perspective, the tessellating tree pattern is impressive. Especially on a curved and ridged surface.

Aesthetically it's not for me, but on a technical level it's top tier.

And that's the rub; nobody can realistically deny his technical skill and ability. As someone who dabbled in art and art history - then realized I could never be good enough to make any money at it - he really is a master of technique. But, is a goalie mask really the appropriate "canvas" to flaunt his technical proficiency? Other than us gear-obsessed goalies, who is really studying these closely enough to notice (and possibly appreciate) the details? I dunno... it's a good debate though.

Not generally a fan of Dave Art, but I must admit that I like this one. I personally would prefer that it not have ghosted logos (too "spoky" for me - LOL! I always learn something on this site...). But unlike many of his other masks, this one (I suspect) would still draw the eye when seen from a relative distance. And that, at least, ties it back to a long tradition of reconciling what was then a quasi-requirement for easily-recognizable designs with the desire for individuality and aesthetic appeal - the epitome of which was, in my opinion, demonstrated in the works of Greg Harrison.

10 hours ago, CJ Boiss said:

From a design perspective, the tessellating tree pattern is impressive. Especially on a curved and ridged surface.

Aesthetically it's not for me, but on a technical level it's top tier.

I never denied his technical skill, I do actually like the bottom of the mask more than the top to say the least

Archived