The official 2021-2022 "Gear sitings" thread

Steph Lawa

7 minutes ago, MTH said:

NBC site has boxes that link to the games. The NBC olympic hockey one has a pop up for cookies. China+cookies... pass on that.

They already know whatever they want to know about you. Praise be Winnie the Pooh.

I got a kick out of these photos of the freestyle skiing set up in China:

Untitled12.thumb.png.834e76c6fbf7b9faf09eb0a6012a2114.pngUntitled.thumb.png.ad882af24c54f4a7c10262ae2a6ae605.png

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

They already know whatever they want to know about you. Praise be Winnie the Pooh.

I got a kick out of these photos of the freestyle skiing set up in China:

This shit feels like a secret level in Tony Hawk's Pro Skater on Playstation 1

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, seagoal said:

Dustin Wolf, formerly a junior goalie in Everett-WHL, now with Stockton/Calgary

Good article about goalies in the NHL under 6 foot tall.  There are more than I was aware of.

https://www.nhl.com/news/unmasked-flames-prospect-dustin-wolf-making-big-impact-for-undersized-goalies/c-330712066

38 minutes ago, ThatCarGuy said:

So there’s a chance

There's been rumblings amongst pro goalie coaches over the last couple years that a trend to smaller guys might be on the horizon.  Most recently, we've seen smaller guys like Saros and Grubauer become very successful at the top level.  Bernier and Halak are other 'normal sized' guys that have been playing in the league for what seems like forever. 

The prevailing concept is a legitimate one, and has been the case since the whole 'small vs big' guy debate started:  Smaller guys open up less holes when they move - not just between the arms, but also between the pad and the ice - the "lever" to bring the knee up and push or recover at 100% power is that much smaller.

As the position has refined itself over the years through new concepts, we have a few new lenses to view the pros and cons

If you take apart the ideas of box control, this actually makes a lot of sense.  Assuming the three cores are there (square, angle, depth) available net is reduced as the puck gets closer - but when it comes time to move and the goalie picks their knee up to load and push, the bigger goalie is opening up a larger hole within that box than a smaller one. The X factor here is depth, as a smaller goalie will need to challenge another couple inches out to fill the same amount of net as a big guy.

Modern goaltending sees goalies dropping at least one knee to the ice for the majority of our save selection.  Nobody plays standup on the post anymore, it's generally either an overlap into a blocking butterfly or an RVH.  The center of gravity is a lot lower on a 5'11 guy than a 6'4 guy, and it follows that a shorter guy will be able to get one or both knees to the ice a little bit faster than a bigger one.  If you break down these dead angle plays (faceoff dot out), there really is no net to shoot at whether the goalie is 5'11 or 6'6 - by my rough estimate, this covers maybe 1/3 of the defensive zone.

image.png.764feedf1f47e053d56944cb8d9c4e51.png

• Like 4

19 hours ago, seagoal said:

Dustin Wolf, formerly a junior goalie in Everett-WHL, now with Stockton/Calgary

Good article about goalies in the NHL under 6 foot tall.  There are more than I was aware of.

https://www.nhl.com/news/unmasked-flames-prospect-dustin-wolf-making-big-impact-for-undersized-goalies/c-330712066

cut.jpg

Shorties are making a comeback.

"Don't call it a comeback, I been here for years
I'm rockin' my peers, puttin' suckers in fear
Makin' the tears rain down like a monsoon
Listen to the bass go boom
Explosions, overpowerin'
Over the competition, I'm towerin'
Wrecking shop, when I drop
These lyrics that'll make you call the cops
Don't you dare stare
You better move, don't ever compare
Me to the rest that'll all get sliced and diced
Competition's payin' the price

- LL COOL J

17 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

There's been rumblings amongst pro goalie coaches over the last couple years that a trend to smaller guys might be on the horizon.  Most recently, we've seen smaller guys like Saros and Grubauer become very successful at the top level.  Bernier and Halak are other 'normal sized' guys that have been playing in the league for what seems like forever. 

The prevailing concept is a legitimate one, and has been the case since the whole 'small vs big' guy debate started:  Smaller guys open up less holes when they move - not just between the arms, but also between the pad and the ice - the "lever" to bring the knee up and push or recover at 100% power is that much smaller.

As the position has refined itself over the years through new concepts, we have a few new lenses to view the pros and cons

If you take apart the ideas of box control, this actually makes a lot of sense.  Assuming the three cores are there (square, angle, depth) available net is reduced as the puck gets closer - but when it comes time to move and the goalie picks their knee up to load and push, the bigger goalie is opening up a larger hole within that box than a smaller one. The X factor here is depth, as a smaller goalie will need to challenge another couple inches out to fill the same amount of net as a big guy.

Modern goaltending sees goalies dropping at least one knee to the ice for the majority of our save selection.  Nobody plays standup on the post anymore, it's generally either an overlap into a blocking butterfly or an RVH.  The center of gravity is a lot lower on a 5'11 guy than a 6'4 guy, and it follows that a shorter guy will be able to get one or both knees to the ice a little bit faster than a bigger one.  If you break down these dead angle plays (faceoff dot out), there really is no net to shoot at whether the goalie is 5'11 or 6'6 - by my rough estimate, this covers maybe 1/3 of the defensive zone.

image.png.764feedf1f47e053d56944cb8d9c4e51.png

I agree with your observations. Initially, tall goalies were recruited more so because of the space they occupy in a set or static position, but as you stated, once they move they open up lots. I've yet to see a big guy play very compact with short precise movements which is surprising to me. A 6'6 210lbs goalie gets even taller on skates but with the recent trend of forward belly flopping, or "forward snow angels" as I call 'em, their size becomes obsolete. I doubt we'll be seeing any 5'9 goalies break in anytime soon but the 5'11 - 6'2 guys could become more common again.

So that means have a chance at 6'2. Now if i can only convince them that 53 is really 35...hmmm :D   

14 hours ago, seagoal said:

Here's the front side.  Helmet was painted by my guy, Jason Livery.

Screenshot_20220211-151105_Samsung Internet.jpg

That new graphic lacks custom-ability and is quite dull, even if it's just another reiteration of the previous lines. I don't mind straight lines as they are easier to work with but this one falls short IMO.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

I love Saros, and hopefully there will always be outliers. While being a fan of smaller goalies and being someone that hates that the size argument is making its way into minor hockey. Unfortunately, I don’t see smaller guys being sought after again.

I’ve heard that rumour of the small goalie comeback but not from people, “I love small goalies but we’re not going to draft them.”
“If we draft a 6’5 goalie and he doesn’t work out it’s alright, if I drafted a 6’0 goalie and he doesn’t work out I’ll lose my job.”

I just completed a interview series with a number of goalie coaches and goalie scouts at the NHL/AHL and Hockey Canada level. 
The adage of we don’t look at guys under 6’3 is very strong (they actually use to say 6’2 so it might be going up).

You mention the ability to play on a goalies knees, the skating ability and especially “down-skating” of guys like Shesterkin is/will be so influential on a the next generation of goalies. Teams are looking for goalies who can control and catch their edges combined with a someone whose shoulders stay level with the cross bar while down. 

17 minutes ago, netminder said:

I call BS on this.

Currently...... 3 of the top 6 save % in the NHL are 6'1 and shorter (min 8 games started), 3 of the top 7 save % in the AHL are 6'1 and shorter, all 5 of the top 5 save % in the KHL are 6'1 and shorter, 4 of the top 6 save % in the OHL are 6'1 and shorter, all 5 of the top 5 save % in the QMHL are 6'1 and shorter, 3 of the top 6 save % in the WHL are 6'1 and shorter, 2 of the last 3 starting goalies for World Juniors Canada since 2019 were 6'0 and shorter. Khudobin and Binninington both 6'1' and shorter, both starters in Cup finals in just the past 3.5 years.

You are stuck in 2010-2020 bud. The trend is ABSOLUTELY changing before your dinosaur eyes, its just going to take a lot longer then over night to realize it.....

Damn, I’ve been exposed.

Yes it’s a conspiracy I made up in collaboration with “Big Goalie” to stifle smaller goalies.

My information is completely made up and not at all based on real answers provided by NHL coaches and scouts .

It’s a coincidence that 2021 was the tallest goalie draft class in history with an average of draft pick of 6’3 1/2.

4FB22CA8-C892-4441-87DA-B63C2DBAA2A3.jpeg

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, RedX said:

Damn, I’ve been exposed.

Yes it’s a conspiracy I made up in collaboration with “Big Goalie” to stifle smaller goalies.

My information is completely made up and not at all based on real answers provided by NHL coaches and scouts .

It’s a coincidence that 2021 was the tallest goalie draft class in history with an average of draft pick of 6’3 1/2.

You're telling me there's a political interest group marketing to NHL coaches and scouts that pushes a big goalie agenda?  Now it all makes sense

image.png.4fd1feacc0afe9ca7cc862ef9c2c8c09.png

• Haha 1