Protechsport Mask Thread

On 12/3/2017 at 6:57 PM, craig said:

I'm 99% sure none of the holes (venting or hardware) will line up. I have done foam on both types of masks (Bauer and my own 961 clones... not ProtechSport), and a lot of the holes are close, but not the same.  

The NME padding doesn't fit in the Bauer 961, so no reason it should fit anything else, either.

On 12/3/2017 at 6:20 AM, bunnyman666 said:

I actually do not disagree one bit.I only say mid-level because the all-fibreglass masque is closest to the fibreglass offerings of CCM, etc.

The only thing that holds people back is the wait time. 

But it's not close. Fiberglass doesn't necessarily equal fiberglass

The epoxy resin used by Protechsport is superior to what others use in their "top of the line" masks. I'd also wager that the fiberglass cloth is a higher quality than what is put in a mass produced product

The Bauer 961 is 99% a fiberglass mask made with polyester resin. That one sheet of aramid doesn't make it a better mask. At this point I'd bet almost anyone making a 961 clone makes it as well or better than Bauer does.

1 minute ago, bc30 said:

But it's not close. Fiberglass doesn't necessarily equal fiberglass

The epoxy resin used by Protechsport is superior to what others use in their "top of the line" masks. I'd also wager that the fiberglass cloth is a higher quality than what is put in a mass produced product

The Bauer 961 is 99% a fiberglass mask made with polyester resin. That one sheet of aramid doesn't make it a better mask. At this point I'd bet almost anyone making a 961 clone makes it as well or better than Bauer does.

Again- I only say from material perspective ONLY; I have had several conversations with Shawn (Kustom). Yes- polyesther resin is inferior. I never would build something that requires strength with it!

Shawn is a guy who uses the superior grade materials in his own offerings. He's been beating the OTNY drum lately for the same reason.

All I'm saying is that I'd take high quality fiberglass over cheap kevlar all day every day

And at 1/3 the price?

There is no downside

and FWIW, the wait time as of three weeks ago was 12-14

13 hours ago, bc30 said:

OK, I'll bite

Why?

He can put either the padding of your choice, or leave it unpadded

If you have a 960/961 padding kit, he could install it, and match the holes.

I know he has done the CCM hole pattern for people on other masks, so hole location isn't an issue.

Unless he has stock NME padding to use, I won’t like it.

13 hours ago, bc30 said:

Shawn is a guy who uses the superior grade materials in his own offerings. He's been beating the OTNY drum lately for the same reason.

All I'm saying is that I'd take high quality fiberglass over cheap kevlar all day every day

And at 1/3 the price?

There is no downside

and FWIW, the wait time as of three weeks ago was 12-14

Again- ABSOLUTELY no disagreement, there!

On 2017-11-20 at 10:01 AM, ZeroGravitas said:

Haven't worn my Theodore since I got the 961 because it is need of refurbishing.

Both times (about six years apart in build date) I sent in head molds to get the most accurate fit I could.

If I recall correctly, he only has two 961-style molds, the standard one I have, and the bubble chin. So if your head is too large or too small, he would have to adjust the fit by using less or more foam than he typically would, whereas if you went with a standard shell, he could size you into the most accurate pro's mold he's got and use just enough foam.

What’s the sizing like on the 961s? Is it like the Bauer version or is it a bit more generous?

11 hours ago, TitanG said:

What’s the sizing like on the 961s? Is it like the Bauer version or is it a bit more generous?

It is likely molded directly off of a retail 961 or one of the many clones. In that case the outer dimensions would be identical but the inner dimensions would depend on the lay-up. Also how its foamed. 

Michel would know the answer to this and would probably be more than happy to help you.

Just now, craig said:

It is likely molded directly off of a retail 961 or one of the many clones. In that case the outer dimensions would be identical but the inner dimensions would depend on the lay-up. Also how its foamed. 

Michel would know the answer to this and would probably be more than happy to help you.

One day I'll order one, I just don't have the need yet. I also wonder if it's possible to get the length of the shell to be a bit longer? That's my main issue with many off-the-shelf masks, especially the original, stock 961.

3 hours ago, Kayen said:

Just finished my head mold! time to get ready to send it in... did you guys just put it in a box and off it went? or any filler to keep it from flattening out in transit?

Thank you. Can't wait for this mask. 

I used plenty of bubble wrap. Plaster of Paris can be brittle.

On 12/3/2017 at 12:18 AM, bc30 said:

Honestly, the fiberglass model is well above a "mid-level" mask, and imho, better than virtually anything available at retail

I've owned both kevlar and fiberglass models and honestly noticed no difference in the protection. My Potvin (fiberglass) should ship this week.

To this day, I have no idea why people would pay 3x the price of a Protechsport for a Bauer 961

Please be sure to post some pictures!