The official 2021-2022 "Gear sitings" thread

Steph Lawa

21 minutes ago, ilyazhito said:

Imagine this: A member of this forum goes pro. How crazy would it be if ThatCarGuy got signed to an AHL or 2-way contract? We'd then be discussing his gear in our 2022-23 gear sightings thread, along with HoltBeast, Shesterkin, and other goalies in the Show. 

Lol in order for that to happen I pretty much have to make it out of the NA3 next year and keep climbing. Which means I have to play games in this league in order to get noticed which I haven’t yet due to being the youngest goalie on my team by 3 years. Although that is the dream and I’ll keep chasing it for as long as I can. One of my buddies who plays NA3 got to try out for the ECHL Allen Americans so it’s not unheard of. 

Edited by ThatCarGuy

39 minutes ago, A.YOUNGoalie13 said:

Brand loyalty seems to have gone out the window the past few seasons. Guys who have been with a company forever are switching left and right

Virtually every brand makes such a similar product now that it’s easy to jump around to find what you like in my opinion. It’s becoming more and more based on what glove you like from the looks of it. 

8 hours ago, ThatCarGuy said:

Virtually every brand makes such a similar product now that it’s easy to jump around to find what you like in my opinion. It’s becoming more and more based on what glove you like from the looks of it. 

It's pretty true compared to the old days.

I think the most interesting switches I've seen are dudes like Demko and Georgeiv, who were both with Brian's for a really long time. I'm also super surprised that CCM didn't manage to keep more individuals around.

1 minute ago, AG37 said:

Speaking of..

1206765740_Sparks2021LAK.thumb.jpg.539fbb493e872d4a9a17f95089f6abfc.jpg1746057698_Sparks2021LAK2.thumb.jpg.d24f243fd38c9534c5d00659c854a4fb.jpg

https://www.instagram.com/p/CUSbRvVLmaD/

His set is gorgeous.

Edited by keeperton
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, keeperton said:

It's pretty true compared to the old days.

I think the most interesting switches I've seen are dudes like Demko and Georgeiv, who were both with Brian's for a really long time. I'm also super surprised that CCM didn't manage to keep more individuals around.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CUSbRvVLmaD/

His set is gorgeous.

here on the forum the phrase was heard that True pays extra to his goalkeepers for the transition to the brand

9 hours ago, keeperton said:

I think the most interesting switches I've seen are dudes like Demko and Georgeiv, who were both with Brian's for a really long time. I'm also super surprised that CCM didn't manage to keep more individuals around

Its crazy that ccm basically fell off the map in the NHL. As for Brian’s, simply put the whole gnetik v set felt like crap especially the pads. The pads are by far the heaviest thing I’ve put on or held since my LT88s and Reebok premier 3s. 

12 hours ago, ThatCarGuy said:

Its crazy that ccm basically fell off the map in the NHL. As for Brian’s, simply put the whole gnetik v set felt like crap especially the pads. The pads are by far the heaviest thing I’ve put on or held since my LT88s and Reebok premier 3s. 

Really? Because they looked like Gnetik4's with the changes that needed to happen to them.

9 hours ago, A.YOUNGoalie13 said:

You can’t tell me Bauer and Vaughn are similar

SLR2 and 2S pro were near identical in my opinion lol. 2s Pro without a doubt being the better take on that style of pad. SLR3 is designed to be a more trendy, flat boot channel snug pad that sits high on the skate with a softer boot break and straighter core. It’s closer in build to a warrior than Bauer but they all are going towards a soft boot, firm knee block, snug fitting, single below the knee break pad

13 hours ago, ThatCarGuy said:

SLR2 and 2S pro were near identical in my opinion lol. 2s Pro without a doubt being the better take on that style of pad. SLR3 is designed to be a more trendy, flat boot channel snug pad that sits high on the skate with a softer boot break and straighter core. It’s closer in build to a warrior than Bauer but they all are going towards a soft boot, firm knee block, snug fitting, single below the knee break pad

When comparing anything someone can make them seem similar especially when they are the same product. They are all similar because they’re all goalie pads, but brands have different technologies, build styles, etc. to achieve a style of pad. I have worn 4 companies hybrid/soft pads and none have been the same: Brians, Koho(goaliemonkey not og), Vaughn, and Bauer. All had very different feels to them.

• Like 1

38DB63ED-AEED-43FC-8A70-61BDDA5D97FF.thumb.jpeg.3e8bc1ad3594a3962a47c75900b0f708.jpeg

Came across these while scrolling through instagram. Picture was posted by GGN. I would’ve thought nothing of it but the normal knee rolls and lack of EFlex logos caught my eye. I wonder if this is potentially a 2023 prototype. It’s a bit odd to see one in the wild this early though. And if this is a prototype does it mean EFlex is getting a name change in 2023? 

35 minutes ago, ThatCarGuy said:

38DB63ED-AEED-43FC-8A70-61BDDA5D97FF.thumb.jpeg.3e8bc1ad3594a3962a47c75900b0f708.jpeg

Came across these while scrolling through instagram. Picture was posted by GGN. I would’ve thought nothing of it but the normal knee rolls and lack of EFlex logos caught my eye. I wonder if this is potentially a 2023 prototype. It’s a bit odd to see one in the wild this early though. And if this is a prototype does it mean EFlex is getting a name change in 2023? 

Maybe just a custom graphic Retroflex?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ThatCarGuy said:

2 things come to mind -

1) feedback on the EF5 knee rolls was negative, so they're rolling it back

2) bringing back the RetroFlex as an option (possibly due to #1)

• Like 1

Looking at the pics on Instagram it really does look like a reincarnation of Retroflex.   Having used both Axis and EF5 there's a lot of overlap there and definitely room for a softer pad below those lines for goalies who want that.  You might not go out of your way to create such a line, but if you've already got the dies laying around, you might as well cater to demand.   Or, it could be one of those Major Junior/NCAA and up options...

Also, other than aesthetics, I'm not sure why the EF5 kneeroll feedback was so negative.   They make zero difference in how the pads play (other than improving predictability over EF4 by being flat). 

Edited by Puckstopper

12 hours ago, ThatCarGuy said:

10 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

2 things come to mind -

1) feedback on the EF5 knee rolls was negative, so they're rolling it back

2) bringing back the RetroFlex as an option (possibly due to #1)

3 hours ago, Puckstopper said:

Looking at the pics on Instagram it really does look like a reincarnation of Retroflex.   Having used both Axis and EF5 there's a lot of overlap there and definitely room for a softer pad below those lines for goalies who want that.  You might not go out of your way to create such a line, but if you've already got the dies laying around, you might as well cater to demand.   Or, it could be one of those Major Junior/NCAA and up options...

Also, other than aesthetics, I'm not sure why the EF5 kneeroll feedback was so negative.   They make zero difference in how the pads play (other than improving predictability over EF4 by being flat). 

As much as I’d like to give Bauer another try on my next set… their lack of 580… my OCD in having matching gear… and the potential of options from CCM that allow for Axis performance with retroflex look… 💯 count me in on that!!!

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, BadAngle41 said:

As much as I’d like to give Bauer another try on my next set… their lack of 580… my OCD in having matching gear… and the potential of options from CCM that allow for Axis performance with retroflex look… 💯 count me in on that!!!

As long as you don't get printed graphics from CCM.

I don't think I've seen a good printed pair yet from them. It's either super white washed (worse than the 1S iteration) or looks full on plastic.

I'm all for more options from different brands, but CCM hasn't really hit their stride on that part as of yet.

21 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

As long as you don't get printed graphics from CCM.

I don't think I've seen a good printed pair yet from them. It's either super white washed (worse than the 1S iteration) or looks full on plastic.

I'm all for more options from different brands, but CCM hasn't really hit their stride on that part as of yet.

Hence why it’s not released to us retail peasants yet 😉

They’re still in the testing phase of printing and trying to find the right finish. I believe they’re also trying to make both speedskin and jenpro work which is part of the reason for different finishes. (this is all pure speculation)

11 minutes ago, ThatCarGuy said:

Hence why it’s not released to us retail peasants yet 😉

They’re still in the testing phase of printing and trying to find the right finish. I believe they’re also trying to make both speedskin and jenpro work which is part of the reason for different finishes. (this is all pure speculation)

Wild Speculation?!? Sign me up.

"I'm certain that @BadAngle41 is so stuck on a 580 break because of too many shots to the head".

• Like 1
  • Haha 1