Vaughn Gear

TheGoalNet

Cody is someone that has become a pal via social media. He is a gear nut and made contact pretty early on. He switched from CCM to Vaughn during his last full year in the WHL.

Unfortunately, he was supposed to get drafted and did not. He's also had a rash of injuries in the past 12 months and it appears junior teams are not too patient with them. 

I would expect to see Cody land in the coast next year as a free agent. 

On 2/3/2018 at 12:08 PM, TheGoalNet said:

Here’s some more pics that Cody Porter sent for us:

note that the adjustability of his floaters is removed

DF73117A-7C71-471F-A0DF-97320903EC09.jpeg

Great to see Cody sharing gear pics again!!

I understand why a pro would need the floater adjustability removed, but I can't imagine it's a requirement in MJAHL, matter of convenience for him?

2 hours ago, BadAngle41 said:

Great to see Cody sharing gear pics again!!

I understand why a pro would need the floater adjustability removed, but I can't imagine it's a requirement in MJAHL, matter of convenience for him?

He gets all his gear to Pro Spec. I believe it’s to minimize transitions as he advances. He’ll also probably use this unit at camp next year 

He sent me a great pic in the past of his pads, nhl size compliant, and his goalie partners, no compliant 

Cody is taller and his gear is shorter 

7 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

He gets all his gear to Pro Spec. I believe it’s to minimize transitions as he advances. He’ll also probably use this unit at camp next year 

He sent me a great pic in the past of his pads, nhl size compliant, and his goalie partners, no compliant 

I figured as much. Good for him on thinking long term in spite of the injuries and setbacks.

I believe the image below is the one you're referring to... 

Image result for cody porter pad height comparison

7 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

It only makes sense to use the gear made for the league you eventually want to play in! No sense in having a learning curve; he is not going to have time to adapt to new templates and standards in gear.

1 minute ago, bunnyman666 said:

It only makes sense to use the gear made for the league you eventually want to play in! No sense in having a learning curve; he is not going to have time to adapt to new templates and standards in gear.

To those of us much older and wiser it absolutely makes sense. As you progress you can focus on the changing game and not have to factor in gear regulations.

However, clearly that belief is not held by some of his peers. Like old man Garth Snow (amongst others back in the day) take every advantage you can while you can.  

There's actually a deep dive to be had here. Bantam AAA kids have the same issue. They start using CHL approved gear and give up on Brian's or Warrior. Once guys get drafted and comfortable in CHL gear, they rarely change. 

That CHL contract has mega influence on the NHL and Pro Hockey in ways that typical consumers never consider. 

3 minutes ago, BadAngle41 said:

To those of us much older and wiser it absolutely makes sense. As you progress you can focus on the changing game and not have to factor in gear regulations.

However, clearly that belief is not held by some of his peers. Like old man Garth Snow (amongst others back in the day) take every advantage you can while you can.  

I just think of the stories of pro players who quit before they were ready (maybe a public excuse in some cases) because they could not adapt to new equipment.

2 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

I just think of the stories of pro players who quit before they were ready (maybe a public excuse in some cases) because they could not adapt to new equipment.

Shhhhh... it's a darn good thing my kids can't read yet or else they'd see this and start poking holes in Daddy's story of why he's playing beer league and not in the show.

EQUIPMENT REGULATIONS... what else could it be? Ha

1 hour ago, TheGoalNet said:

There's actually a deep dive to be had here. Bantam AAA kids have the same issue. They start using CHL approved gear and give up on Brian's or Warrior. Once guys get drafted and comfortable in CHL gear, they rarely change. 

That CHL contract has mega influence on the NHL and Pro Hockey in ways that typical consumers never consider. 

Back in the fall I went up to Gold In The Net in Brockville to demo some pads (before the Vaughn rep got back to me about the SLRs), they were some custom pads an instructor had made after hip surgery, 35"+3 V7's.  Didn't spend too much time on their practice/demo rink with them since they weren't really the right size for me, but got talking with one of the guys there about their gear.  He mentioned the junior hockey + CCM deal. 

They used to supply pads to a bunch of the Junior B (pretty sure it's B) guys in the league up there until the deal with CCM was signed.  Their sales obviously took a bit of a dive after that, but they still get guys coming in to get their CCM gloves repaired.  Not meant to bash on CCM, I have no experience with them, but an interesting anecdote from a Vaughn retailer trying to make up some lost ground.

I can’t speak for all companies, but I know that Vaughn gear contracts exist in the CHL. 

It’s somewhere in the neighborhood of their salary (like $250/week?). I don’t know how wide spread it is. 

Itech being the only mask in the CHL for 10 years or whatever had a major impact on the dominance of the 961. 

At the NHL level, CCM has very few formal “paid endorsers” of their product. Most guys, like a Pekka, are NOT on contract. However, there’s favors or swag done in the name of customer loyalty to key guys not on contract. 

In general though, there’s a shocking number of guys getting some form of compensation to wear gear or stay in product 

3 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

I can’t speak for all companies, but I know that Vaughn gear contracts exist in the CHL. 

It’s somewhere in the neighborhood of their salary (like $250/week?). I don’t know how wide spread it is. 

Itech being the only mask in the CHL for 10 years or whatever had a major impact on the dominance of the 961. 

At the NHL level, CCM has very few formal “paid endorsers” of their product. Most guys, like a Pekka, are NOT on contract. However, there’s favors or swag done in the name of customer loyalty to key guys not on contract. 

In general though, there’s a shocking number of guys getting some form of compensation to wear gear or stay in product 

Absolutely... hence the massive cloning that goes on between brands

I still haven't quite gotten my Reactor 9000 dialed in (still comes untucked on the one side a little too often) and now this pops up in my inbox today.  SLR on sale, plus I have a $50 gift card from xmas.  Anyone gonna talk me out of it? :)

SLRCA.JPG

5 minutes ago, Mroy31 said:

I still haven't quite gotten my Reactor 9000 dialed in (still comes untucked on the one side a little too often) and now this pops up in my inbox today.  SLR on sale, plus I have a $50 gift card from xmas.  Anyone gonna talk me out of it? :)

SLRCA.JPG

do-it.jpg.2fe81aad732256f626cd3d1d30f83f24.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/8/2018 at 7:43 AM, Mroy31 said:

SLRCA.JPG

What size are you? I have a 9500 I'm trying to get rid of.  Large with smaller arms.