Vaughn Gear

TheGoalNet

1 hour ago, jayluv54 said:

I've seen them out there, but can't find anyone who actually uses one to attest to the reliability/durability.  I have been told by 2 different sellers, 1 in the states and another in Canada that these masks were originally made as a price point option for D3 college teams as an off the shelf option that resembled the PC custom masks.  Much like we see with CCM and Bauer.  Anyway, my curiosity and gear sluttyness got the best of me and I managed to negotiate a killer price on one, which I promised not to disclose, but lets just say it was much more reasonable.  I should have it in my hands some time next week.

Yes, I would agree with your explanation. I have been told that the purpose of this mask was to compete with stock Bauer and CCM. 

To make sure I understand you post above, you have a VM Pro coming? 

23 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

Yes, I would agree with your explanation. I have been told that the purpose of this mask was to compete with stock Bauer and CCM. 

To make sure I understand you post above, you have a VM Pro coming? 

Yes, I have one coming.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/17/2018 at 2:59 AM, Goalieinneed said:

I need to decide which pad to get can anyone tell me their experiences with these pads? Can you tell me about rebounds, sliding, late game sliding, durability, strapping, and how fun it is play with each pad. 

Thanks!

SLR will be your typical "butterfly" pad but with a Vaughn twist to it. It is still VERY flexible, and will pop rebounds a bit harder than the VE8. I think the strapping system of the SLR is as close to perfect as I've seen. The boot will also bit a bit taller. 

VE8 will play like some of the newer Velocity pads (i.e. PVE, V7 XR), where it has a full carbon sheet throughout the pad. Rebounds won't come off as hot as an SLR, but way hotter than older Velocity pads. Strapping is a bit overdone on this pad (too many attachment points IMO) but at least they aren't leather straps anymore.

Vaughn is pretty much the only company left that hasn't improved on their sliding technology. What I suggest is to get the inner gusset of the pad done in weave. They also won't be the most durable pads (Vaughn pads still settle) but it shouldn't be as bad as Velocity lines were in the past.

It's fun to play in any pad ;) 

• 2 weeks later...

I got to try the VE8s, specifically the Pro Carbon  (also the 2S and G4s, will probably write something about those too), last weekend, so here's a quick little write-up of what I thought of the each piece. tl;dr I'd definitely wear all of these pieces and love all of them if the option presented itself.

Quick statement of biases: I wear full Brian's right now, G3netik pads with normal flex options, Optik gloves with intermediate palms, and previously wore VE1s with DX2 gloves. I gravitate towards flexible leg pads that I strap up pretty tight and I do use a lot of toe slack. I prefer a relatively large thigh rise as well.

Pads: The pads felt great. They're much stiffer than anything I'm used to, especially for the Velocity line, though the last one I had my hands on was the VE3. I do have a couple of things that I would change. Feel free to ask me any opinions I might have on them if so desired. 

I suppose I should also state that my G3netiks are 32+2 and the VE8 I wore was 33+1 to my knowledge, it had no labeling.

I'm used to having my knee pads attached to my G3netiks, it's a feature I really like. That made me feel a little strange about a few of the pads I tried on. I tend to bite a lot when I stand to occasionally get really low, thus I like to have a pad and skate that allow me to do that. The VE8 has a 90 deg. boot, which I am very not accustomed to and would personally change if I were to get some for my own reasons.

I love the strapping on these. The magnetic straps go on great, stay on great, and feel great. It really does feel quite a bit like the leather straps in a way that I like. The pair I got to demo didn't have the magnetic strap on the boot, but I think I would have preferred that to the leather one it had; the boot strap was a little strange since it has a piece of elastic attaching it to the rest, but I'm sure with time that I would get used to that or figure it out, and I'm sure it could be swapped out. There's a strap that goes under the knee that I also really liked being there, it secured the pad to the leg well without being obtrusive and was incredibly comfortable.

The landing gear on these pads is incredibly solid. I felt very stable going down and moving around in these, never threatened to over or under turn on me in any shape or form. The small amount of flex I got out of them translated well to my movements. A butterfly felt great on all levels.

I felt very mobile in these when standing. Nothing felt like it was going to get in the way of any movements I wanted to do (a small problem I sometimes have on my current pads due to the +2). I could get my legs together to make a regular standup save again!

The pads are a little bit thick and the rebounds are quite in line with the Vaughn VE standard, though more lively than I was used to from the old days.

As said with the boot angle, I did have trouble pushing around because of the toe, but when I did get around the pads slid well (this demo model had a jenpro face, weave landing gear).

I would have changed how I strapped them up. I could not get my leg to drop as much as I prefer due to the toe-lace slack and I would have done the bootstrap different for me if I were given the time to fiddle with it.

Blocker: I wouldn't change anything about it. As said, I normally use an intermediate palm and the standard one felt completely fine to me. The inside is soft and comfortable, didn't wobble on my hand without any strapping adjustment and the balance is fantastic. Easy paddle downs and I'm a fan of how much more of a spoiler Vaughn puts on their blockers when compared to my last two Brian's blockers. I was told it's basically the VE3 blocker, which is totally fine and needs no change.

I think I actually prefer this to my current blocker just in terms of use, but I still really like my Optik. I think the Optik is a better suited butterfly blocker with a more substantial sidewall and the best finger protection I've come across. The Vaughn to me is sort of like "going home," because it's what my brother and I always used until I decided I wanted to try something else; this blocker is simple comfort and does a great job of that.

Glove: I didn't actually take one on the ice because at first it felt a little too big for my hand. I messed with both later (floating cuff and one piece) and both feel very good. I couldn't tell you the break because I've never had a mind or experience to pick that out. I did prefer the one piece and the closure of both seals off wonderfully all the way around. The lines are good and the palm felt nice and beefy for how easily I could get it closed. The strapping thankfully does allow one to either crank it down or keep it loose if so desired compared to other gloves I have tried on.

On 5/29/2018 at 10:52 PM, keeperton said:

I got to try the VE8s, specifically the Pro Carbon  (also the 2S and G4s, will probably write something about those too), last weekend, so here's a quick little write-up of what I thought of the each piece. tl;dr I'd definitely wear all of these pieces and love all of them if the option presented itself.

Quick statement of biases: I wear full Brian's right now, G3netik pads with normal flex options, Optik gloves with intermediate palms, and previously wore VE1s with DX2 gloves. I gravitate towards flexible leg pads that I strap up pretty tight and I do use a lot of toe slack. I prefer a relatively large thigh rise as well.

Pads: The pads felt great. They're much stiffer than anything I'm used to, especially for the Velocity line, though the last one I had my hands on was the VE3. I do have a couple of things that I would change. Feel free to ask me any opinions I might have on them if so desired. 

I suppose I should also state that my G3netiks are 32+2 and the VE8 I wore was 33+1 to my knowledge, it had no labeling.

I'm used to having my knee pads attached to my G3netiks, it's a feature I really like. That made me feel a little strange about a few of the pads I tried on. I tend to bite a lot when I stand to occasionally get really low, thus I like to have a pad and skate that allow me to do that. The VE8 has a 90 deg. boot, which I am very not accustomed to and would personally change if I were to get some for my own reasons.

I love the strapping on these. The magnetic straps go on great, stay on great, and feel great. It really does feel quite a bit like the leather straps in a way that I like. The pair I got to demo didn't have the magnetic strap on the boot, but I think I would have preferred that to the leather one it had; the boot strap was a little strange since it has a piece of elastic attaching it to the rest, but I'm sure with time that I would get used to that or figure it out, and I'm sure it could be swapped out. There's a strap that goes under the knee that I also really liked being there, it secured the pad to the leg well without being obtrusive and was incredibly comfortable.

The landing gear on these pads is incredibly solid. I felt very stable going down and moving around in these, never threatened to over or under turn on me in any shape or form. The small amount of flex I got out of them translated well to my movements. A butterfly felt great on all levels.

I felt very mobile in these when standing. Nothing felt like it was going to get in the way of any movements I wanted to do (a small problem I sometimes have on my current pads due to the +2). I could get my legs together to make a regular standup save again!

The pads are a little bit thick and the rebounds are quite in line with the Vaughn VE standard, though more lively than I was used to from the old days.

As said with the boot angle, I did have trouble pushing around because of the toe, but when I did get around the pads slid well (this demo model had a jenpro face, weave landing gear).

I would have changed how I strapped them up. I could not get my leg to drop as much as I prefer due to the toe-lace slack and I would have done the bootstrap different for me if I were given the time to fiddle with it.

Blocker: I wouldn't change anything about it. As said, I normally use an intermediate palm and the standard one felt completely fine to me. The inside is soft and comfortable, didn't wobble on my hand without any strapping adjustment and the balance is fantastic. Easy paddle downs and I'm a fan of how much more of a spoiler Vaughn puts on their blockers when compared to my last two Brian's blockers. I was told it's basically the VE3 blocker, which is totally fine and needs no change.

I think I actually prefer this to my current blocker just in terms of use, but I still really like my Optik. I think the Optik is a better suited butterfly blocker with a more substantial sidewall and the best finger protection I've come across. The Vaughn to me is sort of like "going home," because it's what my brother and I always used until I decided I wanted to try something else; this blocker is simple comfort and does a great job of that.

Glove: I didn't actually take one on the ice because at first it felt a little too big for my hand. I messed with both later (floating cuff and one piece) and both feel very good. I couldn't tell you the break because I've never had a mind or experience to pick that out. I did prefer the one piece and the closure of both seals off wonderfully all the way around. The lines are good and the palm felt nice and beefy for how easily I could get it closed. The strapping thankfully does allow one to either crank it down or keep it loose if so desired compared to other gloves I have tried on.

I had Pro V Elites which is more or less a VE8 with different strapping and traditional V-roll.

The pad will definitely soften up over time especially in the boot, not anything like a pre-V6 pad, but it's something to note. They are still going to be the softest modern pad on the market, or at least close with Optik FLX. The boot will definitely break in a lot of torsional flex, and considering it tapers at the edge of the toe, you'd be fine with their standard boot. The leather/elastic bootstrap is a godsend for goalies that still like to wear a bootstrap! I even use a fair on my Optiks. It does take a bit of getting used to, but I love how I can do my bootstraps tight but still rotate fully when I butterfly.

Anyways, onto my questions for you! How'd you like their new professor strap (the under knee one)? I was a big fan of the RRC and was kinda bummed they didn't go back to it. It's weird how they added more magnets, but didn't include a very popular magnetic buckle in probably the most important area if you want pad a tight pad/more response. And how'd you like the closure of the one-piece? Is it truly a 590 clone?

Always been a big Vaughn fanboy so I can probably answer questions on the line too. For anyone ordering a custom Vaughn set (or blocker), ask for extra carbon in the blocker face! The up-charge is negligible and rebounds FLY off of it. 

2 minutes ago, Aquilzz said:

I had Pro V Elites which is more or less a VE8 with different strapping and traditional V-roll.

The pad will definitely soften up over time especially in the boot, not anything like a pre-V6 pad, but it's something to note. They are still going to be the softest modern pad on the market, or at least close with Optik FLX. The boot will definitely break in a lot of torsional flex, and considering it tapers at the edge of the toe, you'd be fine with their standard boot. The leather/elastic bootstrap is a godsend for goalies that still like to wear a bootstrap! I even use a fair on my Optiks. It does take a bit of getting used to, but I love how I can do my bootstraps tight but still rotate fully when I butterfly.

Anyways, onto my questions for you! How'd you like their new professor strap (the under knee one)? I was a big fan of the RRC and was kinda bummed they didn't go back to it. It's weird how they added more magnets, but didn't include a very popular magnetic buckle in probably the most important area if you want pad a tight pad/more response. And how'd you like the closure of the one-piece? Is it truly a 590 clone?

Always been a big Vaughn fanboy so I can probably answer questions on the line too. For anyone ordering a custom Vaughn set (or blocker), ask for extra carbon in the blocker face! The up-charge is negligible and rebounds FLY off of it. 

I would bet, these were super new and I could tell had seen little use since they were all white. I didn't mess with the torsional flex to see where they'd go at all, which I did later regret. The pad definitely does still have a break in the knee and thigh like all VEs have had. I am a fan of slightly softer pads if only because of familiarity. Now that you say that about the bootstrap, it does make more sense. I'm currently using the nylon one on my G3netiks through the heel on my skates, which is the kind of anchor I'm used to on my boots.

Is that what that strap is called? It was great, super comfortable and really anchored the whole pad together when strapped up. I'm going to go out on limb and say it wasn't magnetic for reasons of keeping it as secure as possible since this one is a heavy duty velcro strap that goes through a plastic loop. The magnets anchor well, but they were more about feel and the wraps than anything from what I could notice.

I...don't actually know what a 590 feels like. I liked how the glove closed though and looking at the quick chart, I would say I definitely prefer the 590 style over 580 from looking at it. The glove was relatively like that, but I only had it on for like three minutes. I'm much more about how the glove seals when closed and for covering pucks; I'm a huge fan of all Brian's gloves.

To the blocker, yeah that'd probably be great. The thing already performed well, but had that Vaughn softness that I like. Always love a huge rebound, which I get from my Optik blocker as well.

16 hours ago, Aquilzz said:

The glove doesn't exactly feel like a 590.  The thumb angle feels a bit more curved and slightly shallower.   The break itself felt somewhere between a 580 and 590.

I currently have the Pro V elite right now and the strapping is pretty much identical to the SLR, but the front face has flattened out knee rolls unlike the slr where it has none, so basically it has butterfly style strapping but performs like a hybrid style pad (I.E. the V7 XF). 

3 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

The glove doesn't exactly feel like a 590.  The thumb angle feels a bit more curved and slightly shallower.   The break itself felt somewhere between a 580 and 590.

Interesting, now I really have to find a glove to try on. The mismatching colour zones are baffling though. 

57 minutes ago, southpawtendy48 said:

I currently have the Pro V elite right now and the strapping is pretty much identical to the SLR, but the front face has flattened out knee rolls unlike the slr where it has none, so basically it has butterfly style strapping but performs like a hybrid style pad (I.E. the V7 XF). 

I would say the PVE/SLR strapping works as both a "hybrid" and "butterfly" style. The RRC is meant to be worn tight for pad control, but thats really only the attachment that matters. Old school butterfly pads were meant to be worn loose for complete rotation, but with elastic strapping becoming the norm, they are all pretty interchangeable which is why it works both on an SLR and PVE. 

The PVE definitely plays stiffer than a V7 XF. It's modelled off the XR internally, but with flattened knee rolls. Then again, Vaughn doesn't make a "stiff" pad by traditional standards, even the SLR is soft compared to other brands. 

Edited by Aquilzz

5 hours ago, Aquilzz said:

I would say the PVE/SLR strapping works as both a "hybrid" and "butterfly" style. The RRC is meant to be worn tight for pad control, but thats really only the attachment that matters. Old school butterfly pads were meant to be worn loose for complete rotation, but with elastic strapping becoming the norm, they are all pretty interchangeable which is why it works both on an SLR and PVE. 

The PVE definitely plays stiffer than a V7 XF. It's modelled off the XR internally, but with flattened knee rolls. Then again, Vaughn doesn't make a "stiff" pad by traditional standards, even the SLR is soft compared to other brands. 

Yup. I’ve had mine for a few months now and they don’t have much of a curve on them. The rebounds are pretty consistent too

Edited by southpawtendy48

My legs are in, will be using them for the first time this coming monday (no shots, just skating in them so I can get used to the feel, tighten straps, etc.) and will also use them on tuesday in the game I have that night. Will give a better review after a couple of uses.

Out of the box, I can say these feel way lighter than my V7's. I like the concept of the strapping they have, but it's going to take some getting used to as I've only ever used leather straps, so I'm excited to try this. The only change that I've made is the toe tie and a 1/2" boot riser. It was a standard bridge with laces. Took that off and put HAL's on (also a first for me). The boot riser I got for my V7's and loved it so thought would have another set ready for the V8's to put on immediately.

Note: The pictures are not the best. Also, glove and blocker had an order problem (they lost my order for them) but legs (on the same email and the 3rd attachment) went through just fine. Oh well, crap happens. They put a rush on it so should be here in 3'ish weeks.

DSC01246.JPG

DSC01247.JPG

DSC01248.JPG

DSC01249.JPG

• Like 3

2 hours ago, loki1416 said:

My legs are in, will be using them for the first time this coming monday (no shots, just skating in them so I can get used to the feel, tighten straps, etc.) and will also use them on tuesday in the game I have that night. Will give a better review after a couple of uses.

Out of the box, I can say these feel way lighter than my V7's. I like the concept of the strapping they have, but it's going to take some getting used to as I've only ever used leather straps, so I'm excited to try this. The only change that I've made is the toe tie and a 1/2" boot riser. It was a standard bridge with laces. Took that off and put HAL's on (also a first for me). The boot riser I got for my V7's and loved it so thought would have another set ready for the V8's to put on immediately.

Note: The pictures are not the best. Also, glove and blocker had an order problem (they lost my order for them) but legs (on the same email and the 3rd attachment) went through just fine. Oh well, crap happens. They put a rush on it so should be here in 3'ish weeks.

DSC01246.JPG

DSC01247.JPG

DSC01248.JPG

DSC01249.JPG

Awesome! Did you just get the pads? And is that a boot riser in the leg channel? 

My personal suggestion for strapping is do to the Professor Strap (the one in the leg channel) snug, and do the rest so they have just a bit of tension while down in the butterfly. You'll get good pad responsiveness, but the pad will seal much better this way. Especially compared to old Vaughns. Should take a bit of adjusting, but it will be worth it!

@Aquilzz Right below where it says "velocity" in the leg channel, you can see the boot riser in the boot channel. It's from PAW products if your curious.

My home testing I tried that strap both loose and tight and found that I liked it tight better. But thanks for the heads up!

39 minutes ago, Doobiesnax said:

Anybody order VE8s recently???  Just put in an order for new custom mitts and estimated date is 09/20/18!!!!!  3 and a half months?????   That is insane!   Are they raising the synthetic cows first?  

Never order gear in the summer months, it’s mad production time for all the pro, college, and junior players! 

1 minute ago, Chenner29 said:

Never order gear in the summer months, it’s mad production time for all the pro, college, and junior players! 

Exactly.

Summer camps are just starting. You know that all the companies are bogged down pushing gear out for their favourite customers.

2 hours ago, Doobiesnax said:

Anybody order VE8s recently???  Just put in an order for new custom mitts and estimated date is 09/20/18!!!!!  3 and a half months?????   That is insane!   Are they raising the synthetic cows first?  

Don't they also have that insane quarterly custom gear delivery schedule?  Basically your gear is guaranteed delivered at a certain date (more or less), but that's just when all gear ordered before a certain date will be delivered?  (This sounds like I'm just describing how normal orders work, but I seem to remember a schedule)

In November last year I ordered a pair of SLR Carbon pants from a store (no stock in my size anywhere that didn't have ridiculous shipping), and was told to expect 14 weeks.  There was nothing custom about the pants, just that I wanted my size.  Thankfully I guess they found a pair in the warehouse because they came in about 3 weeks later, but their scheduling seems to be pretty wild even without all the pro/junior orders.

@Moose75 You might be better off with a custom shop.

3 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Exactly.

Summer camps are just starting. You know that all the companies are bogged down pushing gear out for their favourite customers.

Brians and Warrior are both 8 weeks.... thats the frustrating part i guess....

2 hours ago, Mroy31 said:

Don't they also have that insane quarterly custom gear delivery schedule?  Basically your gear is guaranteed delivered at a certain date (more or less), but that's just when all gear ordered before a certain date will be delivered?  (This sounds like I'm just describing how normal orders work, but I seem to remember a schedule) 

In November last year I ordered a pair of SLR Carbon pants from a store (no stock in my size anywhere that didn't have ridiculous shipping), and was told to expect 14 weeks.  There was nothing custom about the pants, just that I wanted my size.  Thankfully I guess they found a pair in the warehouse because they came in about 3 weeks later, but their scheduling seems to be pretty wild even without all the pro/junior orders. 

@Moose75 You might be better off with a custom shop.

If they are like most production facilities (not just in hockey), they manufacture for retail in batches; and I'm talking mainly store stock here.

IE. they manufacture only gloves for 2 weeks. Then rotate to pads.  Then rotate to pants, etc.  This explains the 14 week time for pants, you probably caught them at the very end of their cycle when they were rotating into different gear.

I'm sure pro orders are made as they come in, piece by piece (clogging up the process)
Some manufacturers are offering "booking windows" for their retail partners.  Basically the premise is to book by a certain date for delivery in a certain timeline.

Smaller custom shops manufacture as pro orders are made, piece by piece.  My Kenesky set was done within a week.  The rest of the wait was just prior orders.

53 minutes ago, Moose75 said:

Any you guys recommend? PAW doesn't mod outside gear anymore it said on their site. 

USA:
Dennis at FactoryMad
You can email PAW to see if she's willing to take it in, she might.
Rebound Athletic Repair (they're on Facebook, based out of St Louis)
Canada:
Mike at Kenesky (Toronto)

If you'd like, post or PM me some pics of what you are thinking of doing; I might be able to walk you through it if you think you're willing to do it on your own.

On 6/7/2018 at 10:15 AM, Doobiesnax said:

Double post to answer your second question,

Mike Vaughn has either ownership interest (or possibly flat out owns) a plastics plant and a Jenpro/clarino production facility
So, YES! He is probably raising a grass-fed, Wagyu quality synthetic cow with carbon fiber reinforced bone structure, Bio-Flex internals and +3 sizing on the flank.

Edited by Chenner29
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

46 minutes ago, Chenner29 said:

USA:
Dennis at FactoryMad
You can email PAW to see if she's willing to take it in, she might.
Rebound Athletic Repair (they're on Facebook, based out of St Louis)
Canada:
Mike at Kenesky (Toronto)

If you'd like, post or PM me some pics of what you are thinking of doing; I might be able to walk you through it if you think you're willing to do it on your own.

Awesome, thanks! One of my friends recommended Bay Area Hockey Repair too. 

Edited by Moose75