Knee pads for a goalie who doesn’t wear them.

Imperative

Hello fellow goalies. I was listening to ingoal podcast and they were talking with a rep from ccm and they were discussing how when we goalies drop into the butterfly the force on your knees is 3X your body weight and then went on to discuss how knee pads help cushion that force on your knees. I have tried knee pads in the past, I had Passau for a while but I hated the way they slid down even when I wore socks over top. I haven’t worn any knee pads for years now, I only wear a dry fit pant under my gear. I really don’t like the added bulk and don’t want to wear socks over top a knee pad to help keep  knee pad in place. Have any of you transistioned from not wearing knee pads to knee pads, what do you use? How do you wear them? Thanks

Lots and lots of sock tape.

My Warrior knee pads have 3 straps, so I tape those 3 straps down pretty tight.  They don't move at all while playing.

I wear knit socks over top of them and especially with the tape keeping the velcro covered and secured there are no issues of abrasion or friction. 

When I very first made the transition when I was a lot younger I started out with volleyball knee pads.  If you're just looking to cushion landing, you could start out experimenting with those for a lot cheaper than goalie knee pads.

As far as lower profile knee pads, the Vaughn SLR will be lower profile than the VE8's (although I had the V7 version and agree with @ULTIMA that they are a very good knee pad, although on the bulkier side of my preferences).  I also really like the Bauer Supremes as a lower profile option, but others on this site will argue they are too bulky (which I don't quite get, but different strokes for different folks), and that the landing is not comfortable (which I do agree with).

If you can find any Maltese out in the wild, they are probably the lowest profile, but will almost definitely need a garter belt of some kind.  I recommend the Vaughn belt no matter what pair you get.

Bauer Supreme 1S Sr. I never wore knee pads until buying a pair last fall. I did a little research on this site and ended up going with these. 6 months in and zero complaints. I've never had to readjust during play, no stingers of any kind, I don't even notice they're on anymore.

I wear hockey socks over them attached to my UA grippy compression pants that have Velcro tabs built in. No additional tape anywhere.

I love Warriors Cam. The senior knee pads that came with my GTs are the best of protection and bulk.  I wear mine sung and I under my UA compression pants. Zero issues with slipping.  No tape and no garter belt.

Like all Warrior lines if you move up to Pro level you get improved materials and protection.

I also used Brown 2400 which were good but like most Brown gear significantly bulkier than the Warriors 

I started with some Vaughn Velocity's at first, they were thinned and needed for a tighter knee lock I had on new pads I was trying out. It was my first set of pads without thigh protection, and knew I needed something. They were ok, but did end up shifting down throughout a game (only wearing dry-fit pants). I also didn't like how my knee landed in them, often times it got "caught" on something, and would dig in. I knew these were better than taking a puck to the knee (done that too many times prior), but it wasn't comfortable. I ended up getting a set of the Brian's knee pads on eBay for a slight discount, and I love them. They have better padding on the landing area, and the velcro fits them tight enough not to need tape or a garter (though I did consider that when looking for new ones). They work well in a semi-open knee lock of Genetik Pro 1s, and a very open set of Genetik Pro 3s.

I don't like big knee pads. So I wear the cheap Bauer Vapor ones you can get at the pro shop.

VAPORX900KneeGuard?$medium$

They're like $40. 

I do run a wrap of tape around the bottom. The old Nike/Bauer ones I used to wear would slide down during the game, so I started just taping around the bottom (below knee / above calf) and never had issues. So when I bought these, it just felt normal to tape these too. I've worn them too without tape (ran out) and had no issues.

I don't wear full leg spandex. I wear the spandex that go to top of knee and have the velcro for socks.

New-Protector-insert.jpg

I wear Bauer or whatever thin socks (used to call them the Reebok Edge socks) then put the knee pads on top. The added material under them from the socks keeps them from sliding. Since the socks are pretty much the same as spandex - but loose - I don't have any overheating issues.

822249-400x400.jpg

Pictures are good.

On 2/20/2019 at 1:51 PM, Imperative said:

Hello fellow goalies. I was listening to ingoal podcast and they were talking with a rep from ccm and they were discussing how when we goalies drop into the butterfly the force on your knees is 3X your body weight and then went on to discuss how knee pads help cushion that force on your knees. I have tried knee pads in the past, I had Passau for a while but I hated the way they slid down even when I wore socks over top. I haven’t worn any knee pads for years now, I only wear a dry fit pant under my gear. I really don’t like the added bulk and don’t want to wear socks over top a knee pad to help keep  knee pad in place. Have any of you transistioned from not wearing knee pads to knee pads, what do you use? How do you wear them? Thanks

That's Sonya. She's not the pro rep. She was a graphic designer, gear designer, and then head of CCM goalie.

I am in the same boat as you. Use to hate knee pads and now I can't imagine not wearing them.

I started with the Brian's Pro II. They are super narrow, stay up pretty good, and have the softest knee landing of anything I have used.

I tested the old Maltese ones too. Great concept, but the design didn't stay up. Hopefully the Eco Pro team can improve that design.

Knee pads?  F that bruh.  In all seriousness though I am in the same boat as you, @Imperative.  I don't wear anything, never have.  I am sure the time will come where I'm no longer as flexible and won't be able to fully close my 5hole and will need knee pads.  I am going to want something as low profile as possible.  Something like the Maltese pads.  For those of you who wear your pads under compression pants, have the pants significantly stretched out around the knees due to the pads?  I'd hate to ruin all of my compression pants so maybe instead of going pads under pants I could go pads over pants and then slide a compression sleeve over the knee pads.

19 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Knee pads?  F that bruh.  In all seriousness though I am in the same boat as you, @Imperative.  I don't wear anything, never have.  I am sure the time will come where I'm no longer as flexible and won't be able to fully close my 5hole and will need knee pads.  I am going to want something as low profile as possible.  Something like the Maltese pads.  For those of you who wear your pads under compression pants, have the pants significantly stretched out around the knees due to the pads?  I'd hate to ruin all of my compression pants so maybe instead of going pads under pants I could go pads over pants and then slide a compression sleeve over the knee pads.

Complains about potentially ruining stretchy pants - not worries about ruining knees.

I wear Bauer sweats, Passau kneepads on top and then an XL set of UA that i got cheap over the top in lieu of socks to keep the knee guards in check. Despite the size of the Passau's the UA isn't significantly permanently stretched out (even after a few years use), but stretching the UA out over the knee pads does mean that it does get blown seams where it contacts the knee lock, holes where velcro snags or pucks hit etc.

I’m not someone who didn’t wear kneepads then went to them. I’ve always worn them. I think I tried without once and I hated the way my knees felt. It was almost like my kneecaps were being twisted when I dropped down. To the OP’s point, I wear them more to cushion my knees for when I drop rather than for puck protection. Although, I am glad to have them in case I do ever get hit, which I never do for some reason. 

I wear PAW knee pads with the garter belt. Nothing over them. I wear short under armor shorts and long under armor socks so the knee area is bare underneath the kneepads. . No slippage of the kneepads. 

I used to wear Warrior knee pads over my base layer pants, under a hockey sock, with tape to keep them up. They never stayed up; they kept slipping and twisting.

So I dumped them and moved to a PAW knee pad with a built-in garter belt. I've never had an issue with them slipping. Plus, they're a little slimmer than the Warriors, which is nice.

I've never taken a shot off of either knee pad, so I cannot comment on protection, but I like them infinitely more than the Warriors.

On 2/20/2019 at 3:45 PM, Mroy31 said:

If you can find any Maltese out in the wild, they are probably the lowest profile, but will almost definitely need a garter belt of some kind.  I recommend the Vaughn belt no matter what pair you get.

Ive got a pair of used Maltese. Cant wear them anymore 'cause of the DonJoy knee brace. 

• 1 month later...
On 2/21/2019 at 2:56 AM, ThatCarGuy said:

I use Bauer Elite knee pads and until recently they've done just fine. They no longer cut it because I've gained a couple pounds and the knee stacks are pretty much nonexistent on my pads. I've tried the Warriors off the ice and really liked them.

Sorry to start up a old thread...

Are you talking about the Gform ones? Will those help at all if you take a shot there?

I tried some knee pads many years ago (forgot which brand, maybe Bauer), and didn't like them because they were bulky, sliding down, got in the way, etc.. so I just stuck with the thigh-guards/flaps. But now that I got some Gnetik pads, I noticed they had no thigh-guards, and had to buy some knee pads for protection. I got Brian's, and was really surprised at how well they felt. They didn't slide down or get in the way at all. I guess either these are some really good knee pads, or else there has been alot of progress in this area over the last few years. Or maybe the ones I tried years ago were just some wrong crappy ones, LOL.

On 2/22/2019 at 9:23 AM, TheGoalNet said:

That's Sonya. She's not the pro rep. She was a graphic designer, gear designer, and then head of CCM goalie.

I am in the same boat as you. Use to hate knee pads and now I can't imagine not wearing them.

I started with the Brian's Pro II. They are super narrow, stay up pretty good, and have the softest knee landing of anything I have used.

I tested the old Maltese ones too. Great concept, but the design didn't stay up. Hopefully the Eco Pro team can improve that design.

To add some of my own personal experience, I have now used Brian's Pro II, 1S, 1X, and have some Warriors to test next. The 1X literally caused pain and gave me bruising through about 6 skates. Now they have softened up and I don't even notice they are there. They are stay in place the best of any product and I am amazed at how great they are. Will be curious to try the Warrior's next. Maybe people swear by those.

Archived