Warrior G5

cwarnar

1 hour ago, Quadzilla32 said:

What do you think of them so far? I can’t wait to get mine hopefully soon. 

This was my 3rd time using them, and they are getting better with each skate. The first time out, I tried strapping them like my EFlex4's and used the stock ARS toe and boot straps, but that did not work so well. The second time I tried strapping to the outside of the knee, but no boot strap, and it worked better but they didn't come back "true" after a recovery from the butterfly as well as I'd want. This iteration was nearly perfect - I have to dial in exactly how loose to make the knee strap, but they seal really well and the thinned out thigh rise is very good at not interfering with the other pad. I liked the ARS toe straps on my G2 pads, but these ones feel shoter/tighter. I felt that caused the pads to sit too high up/too far back on my skate for my liking. The hybrid prolaces have just the right amount of wiggle room, and allow the pad to sit more forward off my skate (as opposed to on top of it). 

The sliding has been great so far, and I haven't noticed it decrease in performance on "third period" ice; at least no decrease that could be attributed to the pads and not to me just being tired (no sticking or anything like that).They definitely kick out rebounds further than my old pads, and make a very satisfying noise when the puck hits them and bounces off :) The goalie at the other end even commented after this skate how he could hear it all the way down at his end. And they are very light! It is worth mentioning again that my 32+2 pads are just barely over 4 lbs each - nearly 10 oz lighter than the 32+2 EFlex 4 pads (which also had no leather straps, no outer knee wing, etc). 

The catcher feels much more like a G3 break. I've talked about this before, but to me when you close the G3 glove it feels like it's only two pieces (the palm and the fingers) and they have a single hinge so it feels like your hand is gripping a \/ shape. The GT2 glove feels like it has two hinges and closes like a U - I got used to this but did not like it as much. I also found it harder to get a solid grip on the stick shaft for shooting the puck with the GT2. This could be because of the different thumb angle between the two lines. I do have to get more practice with how the G5 glove is shaped compared to the GT2, but that's just a matter of time for reaclimation. It closed great right out of the box and is now basically completely broken in after just three uses. The back hand portion opens up fully, which is nice for cutting drying time.

The blocker is very light for how thick it looks. I've noticed that the flatter board is more consistent in directing pucks where you want them. I don't know if it is the overall shape or the coveredge+ working, but I did notice two blocker side saves last night that I would not have made with the Bauer 2X - one off the very bottom corner and one off the very top edge. I'm not a very tall fellow, so anything that extends my reach even just a little bit is appreciated. It is my opinion that the Warrior blocker finger protection is the most protective out there, but it does come at the small cost of not bending as much around the shaft of the stick when you go paddle-down. That's really my only complaint, but I've had it with every Warrior blocker and it hasn't stopped me from continuing to get use and enjoy them!

Here are two clips of saves in last night's pickup:

1) https://www.livebarn.com/en/videoshare?vid=yXBLJeC5h4f4W4X6rjKMpJY_2BOdulRnIMqKKuBxi6mDC9ugaOR9Z609xUoRqr0KygVFet_2BDNFbsNfwDOnDCsSfNbTgfJD9Mlg_2BmT59UZ206qBJ8jzc5LbFlVnh9AOBt64vli6J8oBQyWwsT_2FykJlisUueROGogneE&dt=2020-06-22T20:59&t=1331006&d=30000&mode=4

2) https://www.livebarn.com/en/videoshare?vid=yXBLJeC5h4f4W4X6rjKMpJY_2BOdulRnIMqKKuBxi6mDAjyiIUZxh4qfv7McK_2FO6r3WNvG_2Bh0XsGqFh_2BDyVrBoDNhcshxT_2FEkTFf362RehvIwnyZ_2FRqKQRJxSbJ7r5YNdy3Ki2q9j14Fo8Em5TuGKzjcV8yeL7RPfB&dt=2020-06-22T20:59&t=1405165&d=30000&mode=4

Great insight there, can’t wait for mine to turn up now 

Could you take a pic of how you attached the hybrid pro laces Please? I’ve got a set on order as well but this is my first pair of Warriors so intriguied to see how easy they attach 

Cheers 

3 minutes ago, Clema35 said:

Great insight there, can’t wait for mine to turn up now 

Could you take a pic of how you attached the hybrid pro laces Please? I’ve got a set on order as well but this is my first pair of Warriors so intriguied to see how easy they attach 

Cheers 

I posted a picture of it on the previous page. It was pretty easy to attach them; I used needle nose pliers to pull the aglet end of the skate lace out of the second hole. If you want to get fancier, you could do what @Ross did for his: 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Teezle said:

I posted a picture of it on the previous page. It was pretty easy to attach them; I used needle nose pliers to pull the aglet end of the skate lace out of the second hole. If you want to get fancier, you could do what @Ross did for his: 

Nice work around! I'm feeling in the same boat after a couple skates. I like the concept of the elastic straps but I feel like my feet arent long enough or the straps are still too snug even after the increased size they apparently put in them.  I'm tempted to try and find a way to add material to them.  There must be some official solution for toe ties I'm just curious what that is. 

we can see they are being used here. 

EPj1gATXsBwXTTN?format=jpg&name=large

Edited by WONGER

5 hours ago, cuprajake said:

No this is the second set. The replacement set !!!

Is it another intermediate set?  If so, no question I'll be looking at seniors instead when the time comes.  It looks like the workers at the left pad factory know what they're doing, but not at the right pad factory.

twix_ideologies_og_social_900x540.jpg

spoke to the hm rep last night via facebook, 

he said that the warrior rep had seen this in a few sets from demo and once there used they reshape, 

one thing to note though being int pads there deffo not as stiff as id imagine, which isnt bad for me as i dont mind, there no where near as stiff as the 3sint

Edited by cuprajake

14 hours ago, Teezle said:

I'm the same as Clema35, only get what looks like code on the previous page.

Any chance you could post again?

Cheers

@cuprajakeDo you feel the difference in the "forward thumb angle" that appeared on the GT2, which was not on the G4, but, I believe, is supposed to be on the G5?  I felt the difference between the GT and G4 vs the GT2. I'm wondering if I'll like the G5 compared to the GT2.  Just held in store, but I noticed then that the GT2 could possibly finally replace my Simmons 998 glove.

What specific G4 glove model and size did you get?  Were the intermediate leg pads you returned with senior sized gloves? Also, I have a few of those punch holes on both my 995 and 998 gloves.  They've never been a source for wear, I wouldn't sweat the holes.  Think of it as a weight savings 😆.  Like speed holes.

ed6687a02f0aec226b164e104cea49b6.jpg

Edited by dreadlocked1
more questions and there might be another. yup.
  • Like 1

The small hole in the glove T is likely an alignment mark put in by the material cutter ( usually a laser) at the factory. It helps the worker that’s assembling the glove align the parts as they are assembled. The hole should be in line with the edge of the glove however if you can see the hole then your T will be slightly larger than it should be, which isn’t necessarily a bad thing.

Smaller volume factories that cut the parts by hand or with a cutting table that uses a knife blade instead of a laser would mark this point with a pen.

I design kiteboarding equipment and the factories that produce our kites do the same thing, with either laser cut holes or notches, to ensure correct alignment as they assemble the panels together.

Edited by Ross
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Quadzilla32 said:

Looks sweet, I’m jealous! How long ago did you order them and from where?

Thanks! Ordered 4/21 from through Pure Hockey (Wack is the man), received 6/24 - 9 weeks and 1 day. At the time I ordered, I figured August/September return to the ice was likely, now looking more like September/October here. Plenty of time to drive myself crazy tinkering with strapping, etc. lol. At least I have the Lightning Bolt ball launcher to practice with the glove and blocker!

34 minutes ago, Punisher Goalie said:

Thanks! Ordered 4/21 from through Pure Hockey (Wack is the man), received 6/24 - 9 weeks and 1 day. At the time I ordered, I figured August/September return to the ice was likely, now looking more like September/October here. Plenty of time to drive myself crazy tinkering with strapping, etc. lol. At least I have the Lightning Bolt ball launcher to practice with the glove and blocker!

I’m a little sour now, I ordered mine 4/14 and still haven’t received them. Maybe a solid color is quicker to knock out than several colors? I’m guessing two more weeks for mine, they still have to get them In then ship them to me 

2 minutes ago, Quadzilla32 said:

I’m a little sour now, I ordered mine 4/14 and still haven’t received them. Maybe a solid color is quicker to knock out than several colors? I’m guessing two more weeks for mine, they still have to get them In then ship them to me 

One thing I'll mention is they got to the retailer on 6/22 and shipping to me was very fast (UPS ground basically came overnight). 

yeah i found this out, after the fact. not from hm or warrior(who have been silent in all this) but from a friend, in all the gear ive had ive never seen them

the pads were int sized the gloves were all snr sized. 

i found the g5 tighter on my hand than the g4 for sure, easier to close too.

not sure i noticed the angle change

• Thanks 1