Warrior G5

cwarnar

14 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

So post wedge is almost gone entirely.

Sure hope the nylon knee strap is included still.

Post wedge has been removed.  We designed a piece that covers the buckle on the outer calf wrap.  Keeps the "look" of a Warrior pad too.  

Nylon strap at the knee is still there ;) 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Kirk3190 said:

Post wedge has been removed.  We designed a piece that covers the buckle on the outer calf wrap.  Keeps the "look" of a Warrior pad too.  

Nylon strap at the knee is still there ;) 

@Kirk3190 What is like the main difference between these and G4’s. I keep seeing how 2020 is gonna be a “HUGE” year for warrior but like why

Edited by Dero

17 minutes ago, Dero said:

@Kirk3190 What is like the main difference between these and G4’s. I keep seeing how 2020 is gonna be a “HUGE” year for warrior but like why

That, my friend, you'll have to wait a little longer to find out.  If you look closely at the gear and think logically about what was changed from G4 to G5 you'll see it ;) 

1 hour ago, RyanR3KC said:

Any change to the materials on the sliding edge?

No, we've tested new materials every year and from an R&D perspective there's no factual evidence that one material slides better than another.  Anecdotally, some goalies believe i.e. weave slides better than regular but there's no data that proves it.  So, we offer weave at custom for those goalies who prefer it but it would be disingenuous  of us to put a new material on all stock sliding surfaces and say "It slides faster!" without being able to prove it.  

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Kirk3190 said:

Toronto or Detroit works for that! Just a tid bit of padwrap and you're golden!

I never really thought it all the way through, but when I do there are only 3 teams you couldn't duplicate with just a single color of padwrap from those templates.  Colorado, Winnipeg and Vegas (and you could get close enough to Vegas to survive if you had to).  Pretty cool!

21 minutes ago, Kirk3190 said:

No, we've tested new materials every year and from an R&D perspective there's no factual evidence that one material slides better than another.  Anecdotally, some goalies believe i.e. weave slides better than regular but there's no data that proves it.  So, we offer weave at custom for those goalies who prefer it but it would be disingenuous  of us to put a new material on all stock sliding surfaces and say "It slides faster!" without being able to prove it.  

I would think it would be difficult to find an objective test to quantify how much better one material is than another, especially given the constantly changing ice conditions goalies face.  Still, I do feel like offering SOME option beyond weave would be beneficial as Warrior is currently the only major company not offering a dedicated material for the sliding surface. When discussing G4's and now G5's with customers I can point to AirSlide (and I'm looking forward to experiencing how that works) but the GT2's definitely lost sales to Gnetik IV and and Eflex 4 based on perception about the materials used on the inner surface.   Weave is great at custom, but so many people buy off the rack so that option is lost to them. 

Having said all of that, I will say that subjectively speaking, with no data to back it up whatsoever, my GT2 set with weave slides better than my EF4 set with SpeedSkin, especially when the ice gets choppy so I do applaud Warrior not just rolling out any old option as a sliding surface without comprehensive review.  I feel like CCM may have tested SpeedSkin primarily on good ice (it's stellar there!) and overlooked goalies who don't get fresh ice every 20 minutes.

18 hours ago, Puckstopper said:

I never really thought it all the way through, but when I do there are only 3 teams you couldn't duplicate with just a single color of padwrap from those templates.  Colorado, Winnipeg and Vegas (and you could get close enough to Vegas to survive if you had to).  Pretty cool!

I would think it would be difficult to find an objective test to quantify how much better one material is than another, especially given the constantly changing ice conditions goalies face.  Still, I do feel like offering SOME option beyond weave would be beneficial as Warrior is currently the only major company not offering a dedicated material for the sliding surface. When discussing G4's and now G5's with customers I can point to AirSlide (and I'm looking forward to experiencing how that works) but the GT2's definitely lost sales to Gnetik IV and and Eflex 4 based on perception about the materials used on the inner surface.   Weave is great at custom, but so many people buy off the rack so that option is lost to them. 

Having said all of that, I will say that subjectively speaking, with no data to back it up whatsoever, my GT2 set with weave slides better than my EF4 set with SpeedSkin, especially when the ice gets choppy so I do applaud Warrior not just rolling out any old option as a sliding surface without comprehensive review.  I feel like CCM may have tested SpeedSkin primarily on good ice (it's stellar there!) and overlooked goalies who don't get fresh ice every 20 minutes.

A similar conversation took place on GGSU the other day.  Here's a snippet from part of it in relation to this conversation.

Several factors come into play when evaluating slide. To name a few others: bindingless boot, knee block stability, product weight etc. We recognized early on that others were in a race to slide faster, slide faster, slide faster.. essentially based on the premise of a material. The truth is pretty much every pad on the market slides exceptionally well now on clean ice. This set us on the direction of trying to not only achieve a fast sliding pad, but one that slid consistently fast over the course of a game as the ice starts to deteriorate. A lot of goalies grade "slide-ability" on a fresh sheet of ice right after the Zam gets off. But, the most important time of a game for a goalie is typically in the final minutes when the ice is in really bad shape. This lead us in the direction of AIRslide. A physical design that maintained the great slide-ability you have in warm-ups, at the end of the game as well.

23 hours ago, Puckstopper said:

well there has to be some difference to some extent. i've never had a set with speed skin, but it seems that its split 50/50. some people say they stick to the ice while other say its great. The primo on Brian's optik and gnetik lines is great, but there are only 5 color options, then again some people order their custom Brian's set even without the primo to keep the color theme of their pads. Vaughn offers like something almost identical to primo but have it in a lot more color options. warrior basically just makes indents. like its def mostly just marketing but i mean it works. haha

2 minutes ago, Dero said:

also its kinda odd they decided to come back with the huge outer roll as most companies are doing the opposite now going smaller and smaller. like that thing is huge

You are correct.  We reduced the outer roll height on G4 and have gone the opposite direction on G5.  Pretty much every pad in 2020 other than GT2 and G5 has some form of a reduced outer roll height.  We're going to prove why that's not a good idea!

59 minutes ago, Kirk3190 said:

You are correct.  We reduced the outer roll height on G4 and have gone the opposite direction on G5.  Pretty much every pad in 2020 other than GT2 and G5 has some form of a reduced outer roll height.  We're going to prove why that's not a good idea!

Image result for great anticipation gif"

• Like 1