No love for double break

Quadzilla32

I've been looking around at different pads and started to do some research on the g4's and noticed that stock they don't come with any breaks or maybe a single break. I understand these are suppose to be stiffer pads but why no double break stock options? I had a pair of Premiers that were double break and they were still stiff while allowing for us guys with narrower BF's to close the 5 hole. Any narrow BF guys try these pads out and have success in closing the 5 hole?

Right now I'm in a softer pad, but want to get back into the stiff pad realm. I am having issues finding  stock pads offering a double break. For the level and amount I pay its not justifiable to shell out $1500+ for leg pads.

If you can find G3s, they have single break and the profile lock to give the shape you're looking for. Considerably more flex than the G4, though maybe not to the extent of a full double-break. I've got a pretty narrow butterfly too (one hip side is weird) so this has helped a lot. 

Also, you could probably get a really good deal on them!

1 hour ago, Quadzilla32 said:

I've been looking around at different pads and started to do some research on the g4's and noticed that stock they don't come with any breaks or maybe a single break. I understand these are suppose to be stiffer pads but why no double break stock options? I had a pair of Premiers that were double break and they were still stiff while allowing for us guys with narrower BF's to close the 5 hole. Any narrow BF guys try these pads out and have success in closing the 5 hole?

Right now I'm in a softer pad, but want to get back into the stiff pad realm. I am having issues finding  stock pads offering a double break. For the level and amount I pay its not justifiable to shell out $1500+ for leg pads.

Maybe @Kirk3190 has a proper response for this?

For me, I think the reason is that foam technology has changed. You can now make a very flexible thigh rise without needing an external break. The outer roll is also nearly useless and companies are putting very light flexible foams in there to save weight. When outer rolls used to be more pronounced or had a heavier foam in them, they used to be less flexible.

This is much different than a set of Premier pads from 5 years ago.

4 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

You can get Warrior to make a double break pad when you order custom. They've done it for the G4's and GT lines.

4d8cd5ca2653281f_small.jpeg.9d8cf0059a7b3e201a254240d3f05a67.jpeg

This is good to know; while I like my G3's I do kinda miss the double break that my V5's have (though, as mentioned above, the profile lock does help a little bit if you want a more pronounced curve).

u really don't need a double break. once u flex the pad it stays at that position. having a double external break will make the pad too flexible. 

it does have 2 internal breaks on the g3- g4.  the GT is pre-curved which accomlpolish the same thing.

you dont need it and at the end of the day u have the knee pads and the knee blocks to block it.

Just bc u had it before doesnt mean u need it on the Warrior.  

its like the boot cut on the gt at whatever degree it is cut.  , the skate rotates out and is not lock into the boot, if it is sized correctly there should be a problem.

even the wear u wear it  u don't need it.

I understand what @Quadzilla32 means. When I got my hands on some used V1s many years ago, they had a double break and it did improve my 5 whole a bunch, especially with my Giggy fly. It's also true what @DL42 says, today's foams make it that pads can get a good S shape if worked in properly.

My current pads are Bauer Reactors with a double break but still keep a semi S shape. They were built in a way that keeps them as true to their shaper as possible will less breakdown. We'll see how true that is after a couple seasons.

@Quadzilla32, you could surf the usual places for a used pro pad with double breaks (Kijiji, Craigs, PIAS, Sidelineswap, Ebay). Other option is to call shops and ask if they have old new models kicking around.

Thanks for all the responses guys, my concern is getting a g4 or possible g5 when it comes out and it being too stiff and not being able to close the top of my pads. When I was checking out the g4 the profile lock didn't really seem to do that much, but then again it was a pad at the store and I didn't feel like bending the crap out of it. My other concern is the longevity of the pad, I have been reading that they break down petty quick and get pretty flexible after a while. Would this help someone with a narrower BF since the pad would be more pliable.

I've always wanted to try a single break pad but I've never had the opportunity to do so. for reference I am currently in a Simmons 999 pads with a double break.

Expect the G5 to be on the stiffer side.  There's also an outside chance that the profile lock may not be offered as well.

I always store my pads upside down between skates and have gotten a solid S curve on Warrior GT pros plus my new Optik 2s

21 minutes ago, cwarnar said:

Expect the G5 to be on the stiffer side.  There's also an outside chance that the profile lock may not be offered as well.

I always store my pads upside down between skates and have gotten a solid S curve on Warrior GT pros plus my new Optik 2s

@cwarnar What core did you get for the Optik2s?

The double break or "Turco break" had its time when Turco was still around. Though as it was said earlier, the way pads are constructed now, the need for a double break isn't as needed on a mainstream level anymore. The pads today are meant to bend and flex in the right areas, for the most part. The single-break (if any break at all) can still get the job done today for most goalies I think.

For example, my CCM Premier's have no outerbreak at all and I can seal the five hole just fine. Though I will also note that, yes, five-hole closure does depend on many factors: Hip flexibility, technique and the pads do play a part along with the strapping setup.

If you really need a double break, custom is the way to go. 

4 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

I think, maybe, you shouldn't do that to your pads.

its likely too soft for most people but its honestly just my preference. my ccms were this soft for a while and are even softer than these are. i felt super awkward in them due to the stiffness so i made them softer cause ive found over the years a pad with a lot of flex works well for me. on my high school team ive played the season up to now in eflex pads that were insanely soft and i had a 2.17 gaa and a 6-0-0 record. with pad flex, i dont notice it while im on the ice but i noticed the lack of flex that the g4s had when i played my first 2 ice times in them and i knew right away that it wasnt something i would like. its odd considering i play very much a butterfly style that i like a pad with as much flex as i have in my pads but its just worked for me up to now so i dont wanna have to make a big adjustment to pads that felt overly stiff for my preference when i can soften them up to my liking. 

On 1/3/2020 at 10:45 AM, cwarnar said:

do you store them with any pressure on them or just upside down and let gravity do its thing?

On 1/4/2020 at 2:49 AM, Max27 said:

its likely too soft for most people but its honestly just my preference. my ccms were this soft for a while and are even softer than these are. i felt super awkward in them due to the stiffness so i made them softer cause ive found over the years a pad with a lot of flex works well for me. on my high school team ive played the season up to now in eflex pads that were insanely soft and i had a 2.17 gaa and a 6-0-0 record. with pad flex, i dont notice it while im on the ice but i noticed the lack of flex that the g4s had when i played my first 2 ice times in them and i knew right away that it wasnt something i would like. its odd considering i play very much a butterfly style that i like a pad with as much flex as i have in my pads but its just worked for me up to now so i dont wanna have to make a big adjustment to pads that felt overly stiff for my preference when i can soften them up to my liking. 

I don't care if they're a soft pad.  I'm just saying you probably shouldn't bend them like that.

On 1/7/2020 at 3:19 PM, SaveByRichter35 said:

I don't care if they're a soft pad.  I'm just saying you probably shouldn't bend them like that.

what do you mean? they’re just bent straight down. probably just a confusing camera angle if that’s what you mean

5 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

No.  I literally mean you probably shouldn't bend your pads so much.  That can't be good for the internal foam.

ohh, i gotcha. i haven’t actually regularly been flexing them that much, i just wanted to show how much i can flex them if i wanted to. getting them down that far was with all my effort, i just wanted to show it in a pic how you can flex newer pads a good amount without having a break above the knee for the person who asked the original question. That would definitely be bad for the foams if i did that a bunch of times but the pads are still very new (only used them 3x so far) so if the foam is damaged from flexing them like this once than there’s a bigger issue.  

12 hours ago, Max27 said:

ohh, i gotcha. i haven’t actually regularly been flexing them that much, i just wanted to show how much i can flex them if i wanted to. getting them down that far was with all my effort, i just wanted to show it in a pic how you can flex newer pads a good amount without having a break above the knee for the person who asked the original question. That would definitely be bad for the foams if i did that a bunch of times but the pads are still very new (only used them 3x so far) so if the foam is damaged from flexing them like this once than there’s a bigger issue.  

Didn´t knee wing and calf wing interfere each other?

That is not natural shape of pad. Foams are hard and thin so I wouldn´t bend a pad so much. But those are yours so do what you want.

Archived