NHL 2019-2020 Gear Sightings

Steph Lawa

35 minutes ago, MTH said:

This year's All Star stuff was torture to watch.

I literally was watching at the Flyers practice arena Friday night and Saturday during the game and everyone there was moaning how bad it was. 

What happened?

The women's 3 on 3 was pretty fun to watch.

They need a way better goalie event.  I don't know what it is though.  They did that shooting accuracy thing back when Hasek was around, shooting goalie goals from behind the net over a low board at the blueline.  Maybe some kind of rebound trickshot thing?

The trickshot event seems like it could have legs, but was poorly executed this year.  You can't make the biggest target worth the most points, and then also design it in a way that funnels pucks into it even if they technically "miss" the target.  Let some goalies participate in that, get more creative with the targets, add some bank shots or something, and we might have an event there.

The Blues org seemed way more self indulgent with bringing their legends out to "participate" in events.  I don't remember other places doing it quite like this, but you'd think they could come up with a better gimmick for your franchise's leading scorer than passing pucks to your team captain to practice his accuracy shooting.

Didn't even watch the game

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
42 minutes ago, MTH said:

This year's All Star stuff was torture to watch.

I literally was watching at the Flyers practice arena Friday night and Saturday during the game and everyone there was moaning how bad it was. 

What happened?

I didn't watch it the game at all, and I turned off the competition prior to the one thing I should have watched - the women's 3-on-3. :facepalm: 

As a fan of the game of hockey over a fan of shenanigans on ice, equipment sitings, or anything glitzy, I cannot abide. 

This is what it looked like that last time I cared:

1348585582_aliafrate.jpg.6bf0a4224e89c4457bd4f15af3096cd0.jpg

An AHL guy Martin Frk shot 109.2 mph at the AHL skills competition. 
You guys officially sound old. 
It’s Allstar festivities. What do you want? It’s supposed to be fun and light-hearted.

The 3 on 3 mini tournament format actually makes it more interesting. I’m just worried a goalie will eventually pull something trying to keep up. 
Did you notice how young most of the participants were?

3 hours ago, breaklouis35 said:

Did anybody else think it was weird that Jordan Binnington didn't keep the save streak thing going? I thought they were supposed to keep going until a player scored after the divisional captain was stopped.

He'd won already.  No point in continuing and risking injury, as minimal as that risk might be.

4 hours ago, Mroy31 said:

The women's 3 on 3 was pretty fun to watch.

It was the NHL all star game and skills. If I wanted to watch women's 3 on 3... I'd go watch women's 3 on 3.

It's like I wanted to watch Roadhouse and in the middle they played Pretty Woman. WTF is this?

44 minutes ago, WillyGrips13 said:

The entire league is young. 

Part of the reason why it's hard to watch. You sit there saying 'who the f is this dude?' most the game.

It's getting near women's professional tennis. The rookies are 14, the best players are maybe 17. They're old geezers by their 20s.

46 minutes ago, WillyGrips13 said:

Two things here:

1. The hardest shot thing kinda lost it's steam with the whippy sticks. Is the top speed man or machine? Pro shop just got these sticks in:

Image result for nexus adv stick

It's like saying Jeff Gordon is the fastest driver. Is it him or the car his mechanics built?

2. I'm a Gen X'er. Is 'ok gen x-er' a term yet?

53 minutes ago, WillyGrips13 said:

It’s Allstar festivities. What do you want? It’s supposed to be fun and light-hearted.

The 3 on 3 mini tournament format actually makes it more interesting. I’m just worried a goalie will eventually pull something trying to keep up. 

Sound old??? Aren't you gonna ask how I feel?

4 minutes ago, MTH said:

Two things here:

1. The hardest shot thing kinda lost it's steam with the whippy sticks. Is the top speed man or machine? Pro shop just got these sticks in:

Image result for nexus adv stick

It's like saying Jeff Gordon is the fastest driver. Is it him or the car his mechanics built?

2. I'm a Gen X'er. Is 'ok gen x-er' a term yet?

Is this the slot the Bauer is hoping people stuff $100 bills into or is it a chip reader?

17 minutes ago, MTH said:

It was the NHL all star game and skills. If I wanted to watch women's 3 on 3... I'd go watch women's 3 on 3.

It's like I wanted to watch Roadhouse and in the middle they played Pretty Woman. WTF is this?

Who shit in YOUR cornflakes!?

10 minutes ago, MTH said:

Two things here:

1. The hardest shot thing kinda lost it's steam with the whippy sticks. Is the top speed man or machine?

Very much agree with this

1 hour ago, WillyGrips13 said:

I AM old, however I found the 3 on 3 tourney exciting and fun to watch.  Some of the saves the guys were pulling off.. wow!  It's the kind of saves we all IMAGINE we make when a group of guys rent the ice and just scrimmage after throwing sticks in the middle to pick teams.

26 minutes ago, Naz said:

I AM old, however I found the 3 on 3 tourney exciting and fun to watch.  Some of the saves the guys were pulling off.. wow!  It's the kind of saves we all IMAGINE we make when a group of guys rent the ice and just scrimmage after throwing sticks in the middle to pick teams.

You don’t screw around and make those saves by some miracle?

52 minutes ago, RichMan said:

Who shit in YOUR cornflakes!?

MTH is just voicing the same thing that I've seen from many guys I play hockey with. You don't see it much online, but many of the guys I play with either didn't care at all about the women's hockey portion of it, or downright didn't like it.

I'm fine with the inclusion of it. Mostly because it's the all star game and no one really fucking cares and that it helps girls get into the sport more.

But I also see it on the other hand. You watch to see the all stars of the best league in the world. Not the equivalent of a AAA midget team meek out a 2-1 score in two ten minute periods of 3v3 hockey.

9 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

MTH is just voicing the same thing that I've seen from many guys I play hockey with. You don't see it much online, but many of the guys I play with either didn't care at all about the women's hockey portion of it, or downright didn't like it.

I'm fine with the inclusion of it. Mostly because it's the all star game and no one really fucking cares and that it helps girls get into the sport more.

But I also see it on the other hand. You watch to see the all stars of the best league in the world. Not the equivalent of a AAA midget team meek out a 2-1 score in two ten minute periods of 3v3 hockey.

I honestly thought it was a pretty good game. Desbiens made a lot of good saves and there were some great scoring opportunities.

I'd love to see women's hockey grow so that the top can be viewed better instead of on par with boys AAA U18 teams.

38 minutes ago, keeperton said:

I honestly thought it was a pretty good game. Desbiens made a lot of good saves and there were some great scoring opportunities.

I'd love to see women's hockey grow so that the top can be viewed better instead of on par with boys AAA U18 teams.

I am not against that statement, but to be honest it is true. They are on par with Midget AAA level boys teams, and that's when the boys aren't allowed to hit.

Edit: I am not saying it would be a bad thing if women's hockey grew, I'm just saying that just because women's hockey grows doesn't mean people won't view them like that. 

15 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

I'd love to see the best women's lineup against a boys AAA Midget team. You'll quickly find out how much more qualified and talented these ladies are. They deserve a higher respect than that and their place in the pro levels. My opinion.

8 minutes ago, RichMan said:

I'd love to see the best women's lineup against a boys AAA Midget team. You'll quickly find out how much more qualified and talented these ladies are. They deserve a higher respect than that and their place in the pro levels. My opinion.

There are videos of that. One of the games the Canadian national team played a subpar Midget AAA team and won 2-1. In another game they lost to a Midget team 4-1.

2 hours ago, RichMan said:

You know both Olympic squads have mixed results against boys AAA midget teams right?

https://www.hockeycanada.ca/en-ca/news/2009-nwt-007-en
https://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/olympics-fourth-place-medal/u-women-hockey-team-scrimmaging-against-high-school-170704740--oly.html
https://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/25/sports/olympics/25whockey.html

Archived