Daily Chit-chat

seagoal

I rented mine out from 2013 until the start of Covid in 2020. Took me a few months to finally sell it. Market was hot but my house was old (1922) and not expensive ($175k). Yet every buyer came in and wanted a new house apparently. I argue contracts all day for work, so I'd give them hell when they started with all the buyer crap. My own realtor was useless. Time wasted with buyers looking to get a new roof, HVAC, kitchens, etc. was more mortgage payments without rent coming in. I ended up selling it as is (again, hot market) and still they requested repairs and upgrades. My reply was easy the last sale... "as-is".

My wife hated having the old house rented out. Anything that the tenants would ask for, she'd take it personally. "How dare they..." Was hard on us as I'd just take care of it and be done. 

We were only charging enough rent to cover the mortgage. Presumed we'd pay it off and either sell it for straight profit or even give it to my kids to use when they were of age. 

• 1 month later...

Currently on the latter half of my one month notice with my current(old) job. Tried asking for a raise, they told me that I get paid enough, so I found a job that met my salary expectations instead. 

Have to say that adding professional credentials (I'm a professional, crazy right?) during my employment and becoming a key member of the procurement team as a whole is considered "over qualified" and it wouldn't be fair to others to pay me more. 

Anyone here work in HR? Why are you guys such odder than the Accountants and IT guys? 

8 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Currently on the latter half of my one month notice with my current(old) job. Tried asking for a raise, they told me that I get paid enough, so I found a job that met my salary expectations instead. 

Have to say that adding professional credentials (I'm a professional, crazy right?) during my employment and becoming a key member of the procurement team as a whole is considered "over qualified" and it wouldn't be fair to others to pay me more. 

Anyone here work in HR? Why are you guys such odder than the Accountants and IT guys? 

Not in HR, but I have a rule to entertain every headhunter/LinkedIn solicitation that comes through my email that is within my salary requirements.  Yes, I do waste a couple minutes of my time every week to find out I'm overqualified or the company underpays, but it forces me to keep my resume updated and my interview skills fresh. 

IMO if your comp isn't growing annually by inflation for that year, you are losing money staying at your current job

• Like 1

On 4/25/2022 at 10:32 AM, coopaloop1234 said:

HR people are sales people. They are selling you to the company. It's their job to find people and all when needed. 

Normal humans don't like that life. The sales person is an odd breed.

I had an ethics class in college that beat into our heads that 'you only work for money'. So good for you for jumping. It's the only way you make more sometimes. I'm 45, I've been at my place almost 20 years. With annual increases and salary bumps for numerous things - I know I'm overpaid for what I do now. It's kinda scary.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

Not in HR, but I have a rule to entertain every headhunter/LinkedIn solicitation that comes through my email that is within my salary requirements.  Yes, I do waste a couple minutes of my time every week to find out I'm overqualified or the company underpays, but it forces me to keep my resume updated and my interview skills fresh. 

IMO if your comp isn't growing annually by inflation for that year, you are losing money staying at your current job

We had yearly "cost of living" increases which mostly matched the National published inflation range of 1-3% (year depending). However, the national inflation range over the past few years has been closer to 11% and my wages have "stagnated" to the point where despite my added value through professional development and experience, I'm now making the mean for the comparable positions despite my original wage being on the high end. 

So was I losing money? Not by the definition, however, the company wasn't noting the accomplishments I was gaining. 

It got to the point that the two most senior members of our group even went to bat for me to keep me on, but HR and our corporate purchasing manager both wanted to ignore it. 

So away I go. 

18 minutes ago, MTH said:

HR people are sales people. They are selling you to the company. It's their job to find people and all when needed. 

Normal humans don't like that life. The sales person is an odd breed.

I had an ethics class in college that beat into our heads that 'you only work for money'. So good for you for jumping. It's the only way you make more sometimes. I'm 45, I've been at my place almost 20 years. With annual increases and salary bumps for numerous things - I know I'm overpaid for what I do now. It's kinda scary.

It sure doesn't help that the HR manager oozes used car salesman here. I could never say I was a big champion of HR in general, but my lord did buddy just sour me even more on their "value" they bring to an organization. 

• Like 1

On 4/25/2022 at 6:47 PM, Chenner29 said:

Story of my life

THIS happened this morning, it all ties in together, I will try to be brief

I changed the oil on my truck a couple weeks ago and usually put the used stuff back into the 5qt container but this time I couldn't find the 5qt container, so I bought 5 1qt containers. Instead of messing around with filling up the 5 1qt containers I left it in the big drip pan to take that over later and recycle. Well, the last time I played a game I emptied the bag to air the gear out and set my mask on top of an empty box which was next to that big drip pan with the oil in it. You see where this is going? 

fast forward to this morning

My wife needed a box to mail something, she looked at one then I noticed some in the back corner that looked better. When she got back there, I said watch out for the oil. Right after saying watch out for the oil, I hear "oh no!" I get back there and see her pulling my mask out of the drip pan, Thing got dunked in used 5w 30. It's not a high dollar mask (CCM GFL) but still. Couple of straps are stained now. It's drying out after using the blue Dawn dishwashing soap to clean it up. Will probably get a new harness which I was going to do anyway before, it's starting to fray a bit in a couple spots. 😣

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, Scythe said:

I changed the oil on my truck a couple weeks ago and usually put the used stuff back into the 5qt container but this time I couldn't find the 5qt container, so I bought 5 1qt containers. Instead of messing around with filling up the 5 1qt containers I left it in the big drip pan to take that over later and recycle. Well, the last time I played a game I emptied the bag to air the gear out and set my mask on top of an empty box which was next to that big drip pan with the oil in it. You see where this is going? 

My wife needed a box to mail something, she looked at one then I noticed some in the back corner that looked better. When she got back there, I said watch out for the oil. Right after saying watch out for the oil, I hear "oh no!" I get back there and see her pulling my mask out of the drip pan, Thing got dunked in used 5w 30. It's not a high dollar mask (CCM GFL) but still. Couple of straps are stained now. It's drying out after using the blue Dawn dishwashing soap to clean it up. Will probably get a new harness which I was going to do anyway before, it's starting to fray a bit in a couple spots. 😣

The positive thing is that your mask cage won't rust ! hahaha !

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Scythe said:

That suuuuuuuuuuucks

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Scythe said:

If your Mrs is like mine, I can imagine the "oh no". Mine will mess with me about anything and everything but wont mess w my equipment. Hope you reassured her to forget it. 

• Like 1

Yeah I would throw away everything that's not the lid/cage and the screws. It will seep into everywhere and contaminate any rubber parts.

Prolonged contact with any used motor Oil on your skin is very very bad. 

I don't know how it will affect the lid so it's at your own risk, but I would consider scrubbing the hard surfaces with that Orange Gojo soap, and putting the screws and posts into a degreaser combo of some sort.

If that doesn't work, I would then try scrubbing it with a green scotchbrite, but then you would need a new coat of paint.

• Like 3

1. Always store used oil OUTSIDE. 
  2. No chance your mask cleans. Sorry. Could have been worse if it was gear oil. Burn the mask.
  3. Use anything - old milk jugs, water jug, laundry detergent container - with a screw on lid. Make sure you keep one in the garage for future need. Empty water gallon jugs are the best because they don't smell and you store it anywhere.
  4. I always mark the container of used oil (if put into an empty 5 qt jug) with an X drawn on the lid. Just in case I forget to return it and I think I have oil ready to go.
  • Like 2

I had a cat pee on my blocker once while in the garage. Didn't notice it until I started playing a game and got the glove hot and sweaty. It was misery.

It took a lot of washing, baking soda, dehumidifier, cursing, etc. to get that blocker to not stink.

Godspeed Scythe with your mask crusade.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1