The official 2021-2022 "Gear sitings" thread

Steph Lawa

1 hour ago, RichMan said:

A streamlined NHL spec H5/P1 combination beauty

Ok.  Haha. That's like foreign language to me.  

I'm pretty immune to any hype about any c/a units and especially outside of Vaughn I know almost nothing about them. 

It's always been one piece of gear I never think about or learn about.  

I appreciate your enthusiasm though. 

Edited by seagoal
  • Like 1

Thank You. I don't know why, but imo it seems like his older mask protrudes outward more than the new one.. This one feels sleeker

On 9/23/2021 at 3:52 AM, chile57 said:

Pretty certain Petersen's been in a Pro's Choice since at least back to his Notre Dame days. You can see the tri-cat center bar below - that's a pretty good tell...

image.png.4f50787ccf9dd210fe541303045d370d.png

• Like 1

Very fun, charming video here of Joey Daccord going over his new gear with the host of a local Seattle hockey podcast called Sound of Hockey.  Darren, the host, is a local goalie and he's pretty geeky about gear so it's fun to see him talking to Kraken goalies about their gear during his media access to the guys. 

Daccord was asked about the leather straps on his pads and says "if I'm being honest they literally don't do anything but they are just there to look cool."  I got a big kick out of that response :)

Anyway, a rare opportunity to hear an NHL goalie talking about his gear

• Like 2

Host guy can't be that much of a gear nut - doesn't even know about the famed 590 Koho/Reebok/Lefebvre/Lefevre/True break... 🙄 😆

Like Daccord - seems like a good dude.

On 9/25/2021 at 6:43 PM, seagoal said:

Very fun, charming video here of Joey Daccord going over his new gear with the host of a local Seattle hockey podcast called Sound of Hockey.  Darren, the host, is a local goalie and he's pretty geeky about gear so it's fun to see him talking to Kraken goalies about their gear during his media access to the guys. 

Daccord was asked about the leather straps on his pads and says "if I'm being honest they literally don't do anything but they are just there to look cool."  I got a big kick out of that response :)

Anyway, a rare opportunity to hear an NHL goalie talking about his gear

Edited by chile57

22 minutes ago, A.YOUNGoalie13 said:

This type of stuff pisses me off. How can someone be so unprofessional especially in a small industry. Everyone has to work together.

It's not all sunshine and roses out there.

Lefevre vs CCM
https://www.lexology.com/library/detail.aspx?g=958d0221-87c8-4bbd-970c-a810ed6ceece

There's also Piku vs Vaughn
https://casetext.com/case/mike-vaughn-custom-sports-inc-v-piku

Bauer pissed off a lot of people on the retail side when they opened their own retail stores...

Don't get me started on the small custom manufacturers copying graphics, that has its own thread...

There's also some pretty bad stories that go under the radar.
Small stores have had their license to sell certain brand's gear taken away by bigger retail chains.  The bigger chain will go to the brand manufacturer and say: "stop selling to this small shop or we'll pull all our booking orders"

22 minutes ago, Chenner29 said:

It's not all sunshine and roses out there.

Lefevre vs CCM
https://www.lexology.com/library/detail.aspx?g=958d0221-87c8-4bbd-970c-a810ed6ceece

There's also Piku vs Vaughn
https://casetext.com/case/mike-vaughn-custom-sports-inc-v-piku

Bauer pissed off a lot of people on the retail side when they opened their own retail stores...

Don't get me started on the small custom manufacturers copying graphics, that has its own thread...

There's also some pretty bad stories that go under the radar.
Small stores have had their license to sell certain brand's gear taken away by bigger retail chains.  The bigger chain will go to the brand manufacturer and say: "stop selling to this small shop or we'll pull all our booking orders"

Why do people gotta be so shitty🤦

6 hours ago, chile57 said:

Host guy can't be that much of a gear nut - doesn't even know about the famed 590 Koho/Reebok/Lefebvre/Lefevre/True break... 🙄 😆

Like Daccord - seems like a good dude.

Haha, yeah.  When I say he's a gear nerd, it's not like on the level that we are on here.  Guys on here who would have access to NHL goalies would be like:

"So Joey, I noticed that your elastic calf strap is +1, 3/4 of an inch less wide, and has an asymmetrical ratio of hook to loop. Also, your thigh rise does not flex torsionally but your boot does.  Any explanation for these?  Also, why don't you use Pro Laces I mean, come on?"

Most goalies ain't like us.

Edited by seagoal
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, seagoal said:

Haha, yeah.  When I say he's a gear nerd, it's not like on the level that we are on here.  Guys on here who would have access to NHL goalies would be like:

"So Joey, I noticed that your elastic calf strap is +1, 3/4 of an inch less wide, and has an asymmetrical ratio of hook to loop. Also, your thigh rise does not flex torsionally but your boot does.  Any explanation for these?  Also, why don't you use Pro Laces I mean, come on?"

Which is unfortunate.

Bunch of posers, the lot of 'em

• Like 3

If nothing else - at least we all agree that we can all look down on this dude with our elitist equipment eye.

29 minutes ago, seagoal said:

25 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Which is unfortunate.

Bunch of posers, the lot of 'em

• Like 1

1 hour ago, seagoal said:

Adam Werner

I'm no fan of Bauer or printed graphics but wow.  This is amazing.

Screenshot_20210927-102518_Samsung Internet.jpg

Bauer printed graphics still suffer from a washing out effect that truly stops them from being perfect.

It's gotten better as their processes have gone on and is nowhere near as bad as the 1S days, but it's still pronounced enough to see it when watching guys play.

Still nowhere near as bad as CCM's shiny version of printed graphics. Looks super cheap.

1 hour ago, chile57 said:

If nothing else - at least we all agree that we can all look down on this dude with our elitist equipment eye.

It may all we have in life, but you're damn right we're going to tout it.

• Like 1