What's the most common goalie skate sharpening radius?

insertnamehere

What radius do you prefer?  

65 members have voted

1. 1. What radius do you prefer?

• 1"
    • 3/4"
    • 5/8"
    • 1/2"
    • 3/8"
    • 5/16"
    • Flat Bottom V (any hollow)
    • Other

5 minutes ago, insertnamehere said:

I thought it might be interesting to see what everyone here prefers for their skates!

Ive always thought you can never replicate the bite of 3/8s and its so hard to do slides without that cut but I might switch back to 1/2 inch because I like a "dull" 3/8s. It takes me a good 5 skates to break in a sharpening so I'm thinking of going back to 1/2 inch.

3/8 on a 4mm blade.  I actually just dropped my skates off to be profiled, I believe he will be going with 26'.  He says he will give me 3/8 again but he believes once the blade is correctly profiled and the entire blade is actually contacting the ice I won't need to be at 3/8 anymore.  It makes sense, and he knows his shit so I trust him, but I want to at least see where I am at with the profiled 3/8 before I commit to dialing it back.

I've been slowly making my way down.  I had been using a 1" with my One100 LE's, then 3/4" for a while.  In the 1S I moved to 5/8" with a view to trying 1/2" but haven't made that jump yet.  I had 5/8" on my stock steel in the 1S and then switched to Tydan DLC, so I've only had the one hollow on the Tydans.

Maybe after the playoffs I'll try going to 1/2"

19 minutes ago, Chenner29 said:

Was catching my outside edge too much.  7/16 on a two piece holder style skate with 3mm blade actually seems to feel like a 3/8 on my old Grafs with cowlings; I think these had a 4mm blade

Perfect. I was thinking of moving up a hollow but I think 7/16 is the way to go

3 minutes ago, cwarnar said:

Perfect. I was thinking of moving up a hollow but I think 7/16 is the way to go

I also lost 40lbs but put on a lot of leg strength...I suspect my sharpenings are gonna be all over the place for the next couple months lol

13 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

I also lost 40lbs but put on a lot of leg strength...I suspect my sharpenings are gonna be all over the place for the next couple months lol

Yeah, that's a lot of moving parts to account for, but good problems to have.

I like 3/8" on 3mm, but will probably move to 7/16" for summer.  

Archived