2017-2018 NHL Gear Sitings

TheGoalNet

1 hour ago, TheGoalNet said:

didn’t like the Vegas jerseys at the unveiling, but they’ve grown on me a ton. My only beef is the white gloves... white gloves and 2 sets of gloves is too much 

I actually wish the NHL would get down to 1 helmet too 

Might be an interesting idea to consider for goalies at a GM meeting. Must have a dark set of gear at home and white set on the road like how the teams do with helmets. Could be neat, lots more gear to see.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, Moose75 said:

Pickard's new Leafs setup. I really like that mask. Photos are from the Marlies' Flickr.

That is a beautiful paint job.

13 hours ago, ULTIMA said:

Maybe this will be the final year that Mike Vaughn will stop living in the stone age and increase the options for face transfer logos. Bloody upcharge to have stiched on Vaughn logos like that ^. Inexcusable.

13 hours ago, Moose75 said:

I love Vaughn, but it's like the analog form of goalie gear when you compare it to the likes of Brian's Optik and Bauer's new equipment. I don't know why they can't produce colored logos (either stitched on or flat).

Vaughn has started offering several colors for heat transfer logos and I am sure the options for sewn on jenpro logos are even greater.

13 hours ago, gp34 said:

I just have to say.  Oscar Dansk's setup is quickly becoming my favourite in the league.  It is a great setup that works with both the home and away jerseys which is rare in the show these days.  Quite often goalies have either close to all white pads or a couple have all colour.  This set works just so nicely with both!

Agreed 100%.

I love that OTNY makes a mask with custom made Maltese padding as I always thought the kits were a bit inadequate for my standards. I want to get such a padding setup one day, and maybe mix in some Unequal padding a la Jonas Hiller. What is even more awesome is when pros get similar setups instead of the old Rubatex and EVA foams, so I was quite excited when I saw that Justin Fazio would be getting one of the OTNY CC masks with Maltese. Also find the art by Maxflo Industries to be pretty nice, and the discussion in this post's comments about 4D effects is hilarious.

Another great thing about this is that this mask is made in Canada by a small North American company. As many of you know, the CHL is quite the oligopoly and its brands have forced out many small (Passau, Protechsport), and even large competitors (Warrior goalie, Brian's), so it is good to see a fresh product being used. Interestingly enough, another CHL goalie uses a Kiver goalie mask made by the small mask manufacturer in Russia. While the OTNY may be heavily inspired by the Wright-style Bauer masks, this Kiver is a straight-up clone of the CCM pro goalie mask (except it still has two ear holes). Nonetheless, good to see some diversity in mask brands as long as they are safe.

Nice to see a photo from my home town team (Barrie Colts) show up on this site!

Great looking paint on that OTNY! I'd love a full Maltese padding setup as well as I don't like the strips. I feel like I can feel the edges of them and ended up ripping out the Maltese and putting the stock padding back in (NME series - stock padding is ridiculously comfortable). I could even EASILY provide somebody the exact shape to cut out in vector format (since the padding is mechanically attached - another thing I love), but I don't think anyone out there can or would do it for me. 

EDIT: Heh, is he using a Hellebuyck pro stock stick? 

On 10/30/2017 at 12:14 AM, TitanG said:

I love that OTNY makes a mask with custom made Maltese padding as I always thought the kits were a bit inadequate for my standards. I want to get such a padding setup one day, and maybe mix in some Unequal padding a la Jonas Hiller. What is even more awesome is when pros get similar setups instead of the old Rubatex and EVA foams, so I was quite excited when I saw that Justin Fazio would be getting one of the OTNY CC masks with Maltese. Also find the art by Maxflo Industries to be pretty nice, and the discussion in this post's comments about 4D effects is hilarious.

Another great thing about this is that this mask is made in Canada by a small North American company. As many of you know, the CHL is quite the oligopoly and its brands have forced out many small (Passau, Protechsport), and even large competitors (Warrior goalie, Brian's), so it is good to see a fresh product being used. Interestingly enough, another CHL goalie uses a Kiver goalie mask made by the small mask manufacturer in Russia. While the OTNY may be heavily inspired by the Wright-style Bauer masks, this Kiver is a straight-up clone of the CCM pro goalie mask (except it still has two ear holes). Nonetheless, good to see some diversity in mask brands as long as they are safe.

I am really surprised the big 2 haven't come down hard on them yet. Both Bauer and CCM pay some pretty big coin to the CHL to make sure they are the only products used, masks included. What surprises me is that it might gets by the equipment mangers on the teams. There was a goalie who played in the Qmjhl who had Protechsport make him 960 clone as he didn't want to wear the real one. He got a away with for a bit but once he was caught not using a official Bauer product the league made the team remove it. Also there was 2 goalies one year going to the Memorial cup with non league masks they had to change them to official product or be sent home. Even the Maltese padding I'm surprised it hasn't been taking away yet from the goalie. The CHL is really hard on making sure it's the offical product and it has the CSA approval on them.

On 10/30/2017 at 5:15 PM, RichMan said:

Well, aside from Szabados, there's not much going on in this thread and the show for Warrior, or is it deliberate from posters?

There's quite a few guys overseas wearing Warrior gear. An aside from the odd junior kid or two in N/A, warrior doesn't seem to have much hold in the Pad/glove market.

I've heard that they're actively not pursuing the guys in the NHL/AHL but are trying to get the younger guys to buy in (much like Brians did).  

27 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

I've heard that they're actively not pursuing the guys in the NHL/AHL but are trying to get the younger guys to buy in (much like Brians did).  

I wonder if they will revise their prices unless their sticks are enough to justify the license fees?

20 hours ago, RichMan said:

Well, aside from Szabados, there's not much going on in this thread and the show for Warrior, or is it deliberate from posters?

Oh, and bunnyman666's infatuation with his left nut LOLLL!

HA HAH HA!!!!

My left nut was only mentioned twice; my right one got mentioned once.

6 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

@Snowman30 @TitanG - Fascinating stuff, I am sorry I didn't see this sooner! 

My gut says those masks sneak by because they look like an approved mask. I am sure if someone makes a stink, it will change quickly. 

As for the Kiver mask, the CHL kids all had the 2 ear hole masks until this year. That would have barely stood out. 

I also recall a few years back a goalie in the CHL who had a cheater cage -- was surprised he was allowed in it.

On 10/29/2017 at 1:23 AM, ULTIMA said:

Might be an interesting idea to consider for goalies at a GM meeting. Must have a dark set of gear at home and white set on the road like how the teams do with helmets. Could be neat, lots more gear to see.

I wish that the NHL went to a mono helmet with more customized logo similar to NCAA does. It's not like the days of yore where players had old helmets they couldn't part with nor allow a team to replace or modify:

nhl_u_chelios_gb2_800.jpg

(That's a CCM lid from the 80s with the extra vents. I presume the same white helmet he wore since juniors..)

The gloves don't require break in anymore. So they change them as often as they change sticks. Heck, I miss the ASG players wearing their team mitts and helmets. The current ASG with all the players in new crap looks to plain now.

lemieux.jpg&w=700&q=85

1 minute ago, Murray said:

Lindgren gets the call-up from Laval while Price is injured.

I like him as a goalie, but...his gear is an absolute yard sale. Mismatched to the point of hilarity.

Easy now, Mindgren's set is the same colour at least.

Never forget about the yard sale Thomas was in his last few years.

030914_thomas.jpg

Archived