How do you don't tuck?

ArdeFIN

Question as it is. I bought cheap set of snowwiS 996 C/A and pants and as the C/A is a bit too long on torso I thought why the hell not and start trying out without tucking the C/A.

So give me some insight on how you do it, any special tricks or things to notice? I'll gather up my own style at the end of it but need a good heads up to start from.

I'd prefer to not use suspenders which I do have available and use the C/A as suspenders.

Edited by ArdeFIN

It's Simmons 😁  I'll show pics of my untucked 995 c/a and Warrior X2 pants after work.

I rock lots of Snowwis gear!

Sewed in strap to the c/a for small carabiner which attaches to small elastic loop on the front of the pants.  Rear attachment has support (think I got that idea from you?) to accommodate larger carabiner which attaches to small elastic loop tied to the rear of the c/a.  No inner belt, but 230 lbs. and wearing a small, I snug the outside belt and they are tight enough.  The whole thing floats together in my mind.

16382349483697308688991092326576.jpg

16382353809483700612975879467881.jpg

16382354288817725734117229375279.jpg

Edited by dreadlocked1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Some guys tie the pants and C/A together, some just toss the suspenders over the shoulders.

Me? I wear suspenders under the C/A and let the C/A move around freely. Nothing too complex/

Same for me. 

I used to play without suspenders but after switch to 2X Pro chest sides of C/A was getting caught on my pants (Warrior) so I tried with suspenders under C/A and no problems ever since.

3 hours ago, CJ Boiss said:

No suspenders, and I don't tie the pants and chest together. Internal and external belt on the pants are kept tight, chest straps up snug around the ribs, and that's it.

Ditto, exactly.  Pants and chestie basically as tight as I can get them.

never tucked

pants with suspenders under the chest. the chest is as relaxed as possible and not tied to the pants. accustomed, nothing interferes with anything. the reason is high sensitivity to overheating. I have recently been wearing Warrior pants with an inner belt and fitted. they allowed you to give up suspenders, but when they are tightened around the waist it gets very hot

Edited by ser33

19 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Some guys tie the pants and C/A together, some just toss the suspenders over the shoulders.

Me? I wear suspenders under the C/A and let the C/A move around freely. Nothing too complex/

@ArdeFIN I'm in a similar situation in that I ordered my current C/A with velcro belly extensions which I've never removed. Tried playing with them on and felt fine so while the unit is a bit longer than I'd typically wear it worked out well. Pants are pro stock CCM HPG 14A with no internal belt... so I do wear suspenders like @coopaloop1234 with the C/A over them. Spec'd the chest piece with a clip to feed through a loop on the back of my pants... but not overly sure it really does anything.

A few of you have mentioned tying pants and C/A using the loop, that is on the outside of C/A belly area?? How do you do that, as while I tuck my C/A with my Warrior pants I cannot figure out how I could go untucked and still use the outside loop. Ofcourse if you use the lowest eyelets on pants then maybe but I would still see it restricting someway.

But alltogether every reply says that keep it simple, and that is what I am aiming to.

I was actually planning to add a loop inside the C/A to tie with pants with some elastic rope etc just the way I do now while tucking things. Back side I would probably go with the same elastic as I have now as it just feels so good.

But I'll have to try the pants on before I exclude the suspenders as I am 140lbs /180cm and the pants are size L there might be some struggle to get them snug. I don't really like the pants or C/A to be tight, even snug might be at the limit. Difficult to say now that I think of it.

This will definitely be an interesting journey.

@dreadlocked1 Can you take a bit wider picture of whole composition, makes it easier to understand the locations of the loops and the setup that way. 👍

Surely!

Let me know if you need anything else.  No suspenders needed, hard to tell in the last pic, but I'm holding the whole setup a couple feet off the ground.  The two attachment points hold all the weight evenly.  You can have your pants as tight or loose as you want.  I replace the elastic cords probably once a year.  Also recommend bungee for the arms on the c/a (last pic).  

16384124412926599466781319486542.jpg

16384126018041319216437867787489.jpg

16384126640153086883984072428342.jpg

16384129692711211943172269612127.jpg

• Thanks 1

@dreadlocked1 Well that's about exact setup I had in my mind, direct transition from my tucked-in setup.

I'll have a "service" routine for the C/A and pants before I'll take them into use. Just to wash them through as previous owner hadn't lately, and also add a few mods like the belly loop inside, check all the elastics and what else. 

• Like 1

On 11/29/2021 at 1:27 PM, CJ Boiss said:

No suspenders, and I don't tie the pants and chest together. Internal and external belt on the pants are kept tight, chest straps up snug around the ribs, and that's it.

This is what I do too. 

As long as my pants are tight with the internal belt (thanks CCM) and just toss on my C/A and I'm good to go. I've always gone untucked.

• 9 months later...
On 11/29/2021 at 2:04 PM, bunnyman666 said:

Since I have lost 40+ pounds, I tuck once again. 

But for the days of yore when I didn’t tuck: braces under chesty, tie the breezers and chesty together. 

Amen. Take 20 or 30 more years in net you start moving in the opposite direction. Things don't fit as loose as they used to 🙂. Untuck. Brown suspenders rule though. Not sponsored !

• 11 months later...

Update on my behalf here. I ended up using suspenders to keep pants up, can't even tighten the belt to get them really snug but just good enough. Suspenders are crossed over my chest. 

C/A has the usual bungee cord on the back and connects with carabinier to a loop on my pants.

Really like this setup except that the C/A rib protection has awfully hard top edges that dig into my ribs/armpits. Have to modify them a bit unless I'll get rid of them Snowwis set and continue with my Warrior & CCM setups but go for untucked with CCM. Warrior pants don't want to be untucked. Yet.

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

Trying out the half-tuck lately - belly gets tucked and tied, suspenders tucked under shoulder floaters, and sides flaps over top of the pants.

Just did it at a slow-paced skate last night and it was pretty good - kept all the mobility/unity of full tuck but a bit bigger presentation. I also found my arm-to-body seal was better.

Trying it again tonight and will report back, though!

(using GT2 chesty and pants)

I've since left all of my "other" combos to storage and only used my CCM HPG12A pants with GT2Pro C/A untucked.

It just works so brilliant and plenty protective and massive presentation. Though I can't say I had any problems with my previous X2Pro pants and GT2 chesty tucked and I could go back to that setup anyday.

People actually laugh at me when I dress up in the locker room when they first see my skinny torso and then with all gear on I'm not so skinny anymore. Cheater and what ever they say 😅

• Like 2

Just thought I'd throw in what works for me.  Like someone else said above, I'm very sensitive to heat.

I used to tuck and tie my c/a to the pants.  After I got a new set of CCM Pro pants and a hyperlite 2 c/a, I didn't like that anymore.  It just didn't feel right as it felt to me like it was pulling the c/a around.  I wanted the neck of the c/a up closer since I don't wear a dangler.  I initially put a caribeaner on the back to connect the two and it was ... ok... but after a few games decided to try just without anything connecting the two.  I LOVE it.  It's sooo much cooler and it has a chance to float and allow some air movement.  Occasionally The flap on the side of the c/a get caught in the pants, but that's maybe once a game and a 1 second fix.  The result is no bind, much cooler, and my c/a sits much higher off of my shoulders providing more coverage since there isn't anything to pull it down.  

Now, this works because the CCM Pro pants have an internal belt and my pants are the right size for me.  The c/a is adjusted relatively loose compared to anything I've worn before, but it also wraps around a LOT more than anything I've worn before.  I don't have anything vulnerable from the front, and the pants are about a mile high in the back so I'm protected there as well.