Multiple Gear Sets

ULTIMA

For those of you that have more than one set of gear, would you say it's a good idea and recommend it? To be specific, do you have one set  from one company and a completely different set from another?

Do you ever let in a goal and say "This wouldn't of happened if i was wearing the other pads". Or maybe something like "I would have had that puck if i was using my other glove".  Explain the advantages or disadvantages of having multiple sets. Do you favor one piece over another and begin to think you shouldn't have one? Do you find the novelty of having multiple gear pieces worth it?

At most I've owned 2 different mask and a couple combo buckets at the same time. Never had the coin to enjoy multiple kits at once. But if I really could, a home and away set would be sweet! Otherwise, get a retro tan set and 2 pairs of pants, one Habs and the other black so I can blend in whenever I sub somewhere.

I have one now and a new set to be delivered any time now. My reasoning is simple: Shit happens.  If something gets cut, ripped, or broke, I'm not out for any significant amount of time while waiting for repairs or even something new to come in. And on the plus side, can swap out every now and then to break up the wear and tear on a set.That's my only thought process on why I want multiple sets.

Far as your 2nd question of if "I had my other pads on, that one wouldn't have gone in"? No, I don't really think that way. In a game, the only thing I can change is my stick and I will do that. More for the skate to the bench and back. Gives me time to shake off the bad goal and get my head back in the game.

I use multiple sets, benefit is to have another set ready when it is not completly dry from previous skate (best is two pairs of gloves for tournament ). Used to have similar sets of gloves, e.g. Bauer NXG and Totalone. But it happens that now I can combine with Vaughn too (very different gloves form bauer). Now I have recently added pro return set Brians Gnetik to the rotation - not sure about them yet, it is something realy different, maybe they stay, maybe they go.  Some of my pieces are Ducks pro return and I don´t like the idea of let them go, so I rotate.

2nd question - no. 

I think to @mik's point... if you're going to have more than 1 set of something... let it be glove and blocker (in that order.) For multi game days in a tournament etc. it's nice to have a fresh glove and blocker. Beyond that I don't see much point. Of course while I love equipment... at the end of the day there isn't much of an emotional attachment for me. They're tools and when they've served their purpose and need replacing I find it easy to let the old go and welcome in the new.

I love having extra gear. I find I play differently depending on the gear I use and it helps me not to fall into bad habits. But if I need to win a game I go with a mix-matching set to the gear I am most comfortable with.

Through the years, I’ve often owned two sets at once. I found it difficult to go from one manufacturer one game to a different next. So at one time I had a Vaughn set (pads, Blocker, catcher) and a mismatched set (CCM pads, Bauer Blocker, Subzero catcher).  Found I would often resort to what I found most comfortable and when I did use the other set, wasn’t comfortable while playing.  But I did want two sets to be able to switch between. I ended up now with two sets of very similar gear. 

Set one: eFlex I, Vaughn 7800 Blocker, Subzero II catcher

set two: eFlex III, Vaughn 2000 Blocker, Subzero III catcher

They are similar enough, I can switch between the two sets and not be focused on how the equipment feels versus just playing the game. 

34 minutes ago, Hills said:

I love having extra gear. I find I play differently depending on the gear I use and it helps me not to fall into bad habits. But if I need to win a game I go with a mix-matching set to the gear I am most comfortable with.

I find the opposite... having a single set and the consistent predictability of it allows me better focus on not falling into habits as I have neutralized other variables outside of my own read/play. (Any additional sets of glove/blocker would be the same spec allowing me to say single set for the overall setup.)

I currently have my old TotalONE set with One100 catcher, but only because of sentiment.  I get the idea of keeping your last set as a backup in case something goes wrong, but I haven't ever had a piece of equipment fail me like that yet (*knock on wood*).  Haven't decided whether I'm selling my full 1S set when the 2S set comes in, but something's gotta go.

Unless I'm demoing something to figure out whether I want to make a switch, I wouldn't ever have multiple sets that I mix and match.

I have two masks, two chesties, and two blockers.  Ok, I also have two jocks.  And two neck protectors.  well, really three.  

But other than the neck protectors that I rotate and the masks (one is for my regular team, one is for anything else), i only use one of each and the other is in case something happens.  

Imparative - killer sets.

I had my Jeep Cherokee stolen with my gear in the back once. Since then, I always have a second set of stuff I can wear.

Sometimes a 3rd and 4th... but I've culled the herd a little and barely have 2 sets.

I get rid of everything I'm not using, so I just have one set (with the exception of team-colored items like masks and I have both a red and a black maltese collar). 

I just don't see the point of keeping old stuff. At absolutely no point after getting my Passau pads did I have any desire to use my old ones. 

45 minutes ago, insertnamehere said:

I've usually had an extra set of pads and gloves kicking around but recently sold all my extra stuff. I rarely used the extra stuff, I mostly kept it around after buying new stuff. I figured that if I'm not going to be using it, someone else could be.

I just figure even if I think the gear is worth $500, the $300 I make selling it is better than the $0 I would have made letting it sit there in the garage. 

I have multiple sets of Vaughn Vision 3500 pads, several Brian's 851 trappers, and several older blockers (Vaughn B2000, Heaton Helite III, Brian's 451).
They won't last forever and WILL wear out eventually.  It is equipment I am comfortable playing with, and seeing as they don't make stuff like that anymore, I have more old stuff ready to go when I need it.  That being said, if a piece gets too beat up to use, I will get rid of it and not keep it.

On 3/6/2018 at 12:48 AM, TheGoalNet said:

I have some extra gear right now and I hate it. Just having a set to use and knowing what your going to wear is priceless 

Not to discredit all the other comments, yours makes the most sense and the most appreciated.

21 hours ago, Naz said:

I have multiple sets of Vaughn Vision 3500 pads, several Brian's 851 trappers, and several older blockers (Vaughn B2000, Heaton Helite III, Brian's 451).
They won't last forever and WILL wear out eventually.  It is equipment I am comfortable playing with, and seeing as they don't make stuff like that anymore, I have more old stuff ready to go when I need it.  That being said, if a piece gets too beat up to use, I will get rid of it and not keep it.

I still have a dozen or so SK2000 lids and even more parts even though I stopped using them last year.

But just in case.

Archived