The Mask Thread

10 hours ago, ULTIMA said:

I'm curious as to what you plan on doing @Punisher Goalie

Will it be Bruins themed?

Not going with Bruins themed and also not linear/stripey this time. I'm going for something that is definitely bold but will go with any uniform. I'm kind of straight stealing from an NHL goalie and the concept has been done well by others too, but I'm in love with the design and will be very happy rocking it. Will definitely post as soon as I get it back!

My friends over at Eye Candy are up to their eyeballs in masks and paint and haven't gotten a chance to update their website in a while. Lots of mask painters out there but only a handful or less that can do fine portrait work like them. I'v had close to 10 painters in my lifetime and Eye Candy are at the top of my list so I strongly recommend them for an original mask paint job with great detail. Many already don't agree with the subject matter and you're all entitled to your opinions. I ask that you kindly keep misogynistic and rude comments to yourself please. Sorry for the lighting.

ProtechsportCCM_Front_Ultima.jpg

ProtechsportCCM_Left_Ultima.jpg

ProtechsportCCM_LeftBottom2_Ultima.jpg

ProtechsportCCM_Right_Ultima.jpg

ProtechsportCCM_SideBottom_Ultima.png

• Thanks 1

Just now, ULTIMA said:

My friends over at Eye Candy are up to their eyeballs in masks and paint and haven't gotten a chance to update their website in a while. Lots of mask painters out there but only a handful or less that can do fine portrait work like them. I'v had close to 10 painters in my lifetime and Eye Candy are at the top of my list so I strongly recommend them for an original mask paint job with great detail. Many already don't agree with the subject matter and you're all entitled to your opinions. I ask that you kindly keep misogynistic and rude comments to yourself please. Sorry for the lighting.

It really went bad last time. Couldn't help but shake my head at some of the comments. Interesting design to be sure, to have lots of the popstars on there. But definitely well done portraits, with some pop and nice shading for sure. The glitter effect is a nice subtle detail too. 

On 12/12/2017 at 2:34 PM, ULTIMA said:

I’m a fan of the work.

2 minutes ago, cwarnar said:

@ULTIMA If you like it who cares what anyone else thinks... Too often everyone seems to need praise or acceptance from our peers.

Not my cup of tea but there's no disputing the detail and talent of the artist.  Enjoy!

Truth be told is I don't look for approval from other goalies here. Steve Nash deserves more credit than what he receives for his work and I' more than happy with the way it turned out. I do my part to contribute here and I find it upsetting when people take their comments to this new level of mean.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, ULTIMA said:

Truth be told is I don't look for approval from other goalies here. Steve Nash deserves more credit than what he receives for his work and I' more than happy with the way it turned out. I do my part to contribute here and I find it upsetting when people take their comments to this new level of mean.

It's funny, Eye Candy panted the other T Sizzle mask I talked about way back when. I don't think it had a habs theme. I wonder if it was yours and I just saw the WIP

1 minute ago, TheGoalNet said:

It's funny, Eye Candy panted the other T Sizzle mask I talked about way back when. I don't think it had a habs theme. I wonder if it was yours and I just saw the WIP

It's T-SWizzle! Get it right! Not gonna tell you again! lol

On 2017-11-14 at 11:44 PM, AG37 said:

Scott Wedgewood had a little trouble with his Bauer NME mask tonight... I understand that many guys wear them for the fit, and unfortunately some guys wear them because they are inexpensive compared to other masks. DO NOT cheap out when protecting your head/face. If you are set on a Bauer mask, please go for a Profile (I wore a Bauer 950 (2013ish model) and honestly never had an issue). Along with Ben Bishop's NME mask that cut him, the mask DID NOT do its job and injured the goaltender. The Bauer NME masks are simply not made out of the right materials for stopping pucks. 

This chip on Schneider's chin is most definitely a structural crack/chip, and simple paint chip does not look like that.

rip nme.jpg

Bishops cut was due to him not wearing a sweatband, so the stiffer foam along the face opening cut his brow...and it’s a known fact that wearing a chin sling(not certified) can end up with cut lips or knocked out teeth

On 2017-11-15 at 4:56 AM, TheGoalNet said:

Anyone have a video of the play? 

Agreed it's a weird coincidence with Bishop, but before we say don't anyone use an NME... are we 100% sure the mask shell is the reason for the issue?

Matt Murray's helmet flew off 10 times a game during the playoffs. I've yet to see a post from anyone saying "I'm not buying a Pro's Choice because they fit is terrible and they pop off"

I haven't seen people here steering people away from Tyson blades because McElhenney had a pop out during preseaon... 

Im all for "black balling" a particular product in the name of safety and protecting our wallets, but we need to be certain. 

Monster Hockey is my biggest red flag in the goalie industry right now and I still haven't gone out my way to launch a campaign against them. Why?because even though there's some suspect issues there, the products are not a complete waste of money. In most cases, people like them. I'd rather educate people on "here's a few potential pitfalls of ordering through Monster" than saying "let's collectively not support them"'

If there is an NME issue, let's get the facts. But the NME is not the old widow maker... 

Maybe these are two freak occurrences in a sort window, maybe guys taking out the stock NME causes issues, maybe the NME VTX that Schnieder and Wedgewood are in prototypes and there's a few kinks, etc etc 

also, from memory, Bishop's helmet is loose and he's a had multiple facial injuries. I doubt it's the NME and I doubt he'd stick with it if he did. He's worn 5 different shells in the NHL is not afraid to change... 

@AG37 I respect your opinion and don't buy an NME if it's not for you, but our website needs to be steeped in facts. 

Who in this website has personally had a bad experience with an Pro version of the NME line? 

I’ve used an NME 7 for a few years not in bantam and midget with occasional skates and games with junior players and I’ve had no issues, my biggest complaint is the cages bend easily and minor ringing

On 2017-11-15 at 6:10 AM, bunnyman666 said:

Whilst not a fan of the mystery meat composite construction in the Asian-made masques, we have to remember that a masque can only go SO FAR to prevent injury. Fit can definitely play a far bigger role in injury prevention. I learnt the hard way that I can’t play the puck like I used to in a masque (compared to a combo) because my masque may fly off when I put a shoulder into a player on a break away where the player has his head down and will run me anyway. 

The pros who were injured were pros. They face the shots we have nightmares about in sometimes minute-by-minute phases. And they will be in situations we rarely see, especially after the age of 40. They get paid the big bucks to play in situations where they can get hurt. 

Is a composite NME any less safe than a comparable Asian made masque? No. The artisan made masques may last longer and you may not feel impacts as much with the thicker shell construction of the artisan made masques. As long as it is not lexan or that horrible “fibre-enhanced ABS” that was out a few years back, you’re fine. But fit is key, and a poorly fitting masque of ANY make can hurt you. 

Exactly, people on Instagram were saying CCM masks suck because fleury got a concussion in one, but taking a knee to the head in any mask will lead to a concussion, masks are made for protection from pucks in mainly the front, I’m sure mask designers aren’t focused on taking a knee at full speed to the side of the head...

On 2017-11-16 at 8:23 PM, TitanG said:

Yeah but he switched into an NME in the 2014-2015 season, his second as a Devil, so it's either something in general with the NME he prefers (and not just the VTX) or maybe the reps just convinced him to use it instead. Really, only people like us here will know the difference, but I to am keen to see what the VTX holds, even if it's not the mask for me.

Schneider doesn’t even know what model of gear he uses so I doubt he knows what mask he’s using(look up the gear talk with the pros video on YouTube, he’s looking at the glove to know which model to say he’s using?)...they probably measured his head and found the nme to fit better so they gave him that...

16 minutes ago, Scott said:

Schneider doesn’t even know what model of gear he uses so I doubt he knows what mask he’s using(look up the gear talk with the pros video on YouTube, he’s looking at the glove to know which model to say he’s using?)...they probably measured his head and found the nme to fit better so they gave him that...

Or wanted more goalies in the NHL to wear it for marketing.

On 12/11/2017 at 5:55 PM, Punisher Goalie said:

Here’s a tape job I did myself on my 960 XPM for a special outdoor game my team played recently:

54CBA818-0175-4E81-880B-09CB82E37A24.thumb.jpeg.c7bf7d32b869ec80188b2e817672c9cc.jpeg

And now the tape is off and this mask is off for some custom paint (totally different design)! Although many will probably think it’s derivative, I’m pretty excited about my design idea. Going to be a long four weeks...

6901FB84-6E94-44AB-9CF0-7ED57121EC25.thumb.jpeg.c10e70c62b20ec88a3eeee10828c2f8a.jpeg

On 12/11/2017 at 7:07 PM, IPv6Freely said:

Nicely done! What tape did you use?

Agreed, very nicely done!  Care to give a hint at what you have planned?

4 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Agreed, very nicely done!  Care to give a hint at what you have planned?

Thanks! Pinstriping tape is a really easy way to do a temporary design. 

I will I’ll say the new paint job will be inspired by a Pekka Rinne mask. As much as I liked the black/yellow design, I want to get away from the linear/line-art look and something more organic looking. Won’t have any pop stars on it but hope people like it when it comes back!

2 minutes ago, Punisher Goalie said:

I will I’ll say the new paint job will be inspired by a Pekka Rinne mask. As much as I liked the black/yellow design, I want to get away from the linear/line-art look and something more organic looking. Won’t have any pop stars on it but hope people like it when it comes back!

Hahahahahahahahahahaha

2 hours ago, Punisher Goalie said:

No Bea Arthur pix?!?